Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

SCCM Capture - Reboot problem with Windows 10 1703 just before WinPE step

I just started creating a new set of Windows 10 1703 images and while the build operation went just fine, the capture part seems to be experiencing a bit of trouble just before entering the WinPE step. As it turns out the "reboot" before WinPE just doesn't take place although it's clearly visible during the TS progress window that that's the intention. The target system remains in a state where most drivers are cleaned up as part of the sysprep step.

The temporary remediation is to manually reboot the system. Afterwards it continues straight to WinPE and captures the system in a WIM file.

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should not be using drivers in the build and capture process. WinPe has all the drivers built in.

• Martin Jenkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same for me. I'm going to try upgrading the ADK, which is a terrifying prospect. If/when I get to it, I'll post success or failure here.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In this case it might be something related to my SCCM environment, so I'll retry the capture TS once again. I managed to capture my 1703 image but as I mentioned I had to manually rebooted the VM which then booted straight to WinPE and continued the TS capturing step.

My VM deployment prior to the capture phase was built from a "OS Upgrade Package" based source image, which I always did in the past with all Windows versions from XP till 10, yet only the 1703 experienced the problem with the TS Capture reboot. I have been reusing the same TS definition so I'm really not sure why the reboot have failed but I'll try to test this out once again with 1703 as well as one of the previous versions just to make sure it's not something related to my SCCM environment.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This works fine for me, capture starts and the machine reboots to WinPE and continues capture.

Have you created a new capture image in SCCM?

Feedback and Knowledge Base