Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Option to use SYSTEM context for detection method for a user-based application deployment

The application detection method only runs in the user context if it is deployed to a user collection. This would be reasonable if the Deployment Type user experience were set to "Install for User" (User context), however the detection method runs in the user context when this is set to "Install for system" installation behavior (SYSTEM context).

31 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Dan Sonnenburg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Noted  · 

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Phil Brandvold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This definitely needs to get fixed. I was extremely exited to use powershell scripting detection method, but I need to run Get-AppxPackage, which requires elevated permissions. The feature was *this close* to solving many problems for me (we use the Software Center to deploy quite a few Windows features and other settings with powershell scripts, and right now I'm having to create registry keys every time to mark that an installation has been made).

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still a very confusing limitation, as there's no indication of this behavior other than unexpected detection issues. It makes little sense to tie detection to the deployment target, rather than the "User experience" section in the application. If something installs per user, it should be detected per user regardless of how it's deployed. Same for something that is installed for system.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed on this. Perhaps someone in dev can explain why it's designed this way. Are we missing something or is this an underlying design flaw?

Our users roam. We have about 100 apps present in Software Centre. Our deployment method is "deploy to system" but we target user collections. Ideally, our users login to a machine they haven't been at before, go into software center and view a list of installed applications to determine if there are any missing. Currently, they have to select "install" for any they want to work with which is a waste of time if it's already installed.

• Qasim Mashwani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was "NOTED" two years ago. Any updates? Is User Voice as popularity contest or is it about improving the product to address fundamental design and usage issues for customers? Is MSFT adopting a new "pet view" development strategy?

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1! A checkbox for this in the deployment type would be great.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had this problem too. Was unable to run the power shell cmdlet Get-AppxProvisionedPackage in the detection method because it did not have elevated permission. Really, the detection method should run as system regardless of if the application installs as user or system.

Feedback and Knowledge Base