Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Enable use of collection and computer variables in application model

For the same reasons that computer and collection variables are useful and strategic for OSD, they would also be with the application model. Examples:
+ Customizing command-line parameters for installation
+ Leveraging in scripts for the protection of secret/sensitive data like passwords or product keys

64 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ben Rampe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Noted  · 

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Michael Kenntenich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Several customers have the need for using one or many variables to automate their software installations (like 'setup.exe %Variable1% %Variable2% %Variable3%'). They want to use a globally available set of variables (stored in ConfigMgr database) and avoid the use of external sources (local on the clients, other databases). Utilizing the native setup routine with given parameters is preferred over a "wrapper/installation script" with the logic in it or similar solutions for these dynamic Installations. As a Workaround, task sequences are used to achieve that, but it would be required to have these variables available in applications/deploymenttypes and others (like scripts, packages etc.).

• Mike K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could transition all legacy packages to applications with Deployment Types if this were the case, as how I am fulfilling the secret credential function now is to create a TS with defined dynamic variables, and passing them into a 'Run Powershell Script" package step.

• Mike K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Secret variables would also be super useful for passing credentials into scripted application installs that may need to make authenticated calls to apis/services elsewhere on the network.

• SomeDude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not also make this available for detection scripts. Getting the name of the application that the detection script is for would save me lots of work.

Feedback and Knowledge Base