Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Ability to skip Press Enter for UEFI WDS PXE deployments

Currently when using UEFI and PXE, a WDS prompt comes up, an example screenshot is attached, asking to Press Enter. This requires the technician to press Enter within a handful of seconds, or the loading of the boot WIM fails. Currently, there appears to be no way to skip this portion and proceed directly with downloading the boot WIM, similar to how you can skip F12 when using legacy BIOS mode.

45 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Eric Mullinax shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Matias Hohl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Bob. Why did you decline this request / idea? If the tasksequence is just available and not required and the system is booted with UEFI (no CSM) the technician always has to press ENTER to continue the PXE boot.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No combination of configuration options in WDS, boot image compile options (with or without MDT), or hardware from different vendors have yielded a UEFI network boot experience that did not require pressing enter to proceed with network boot.

I do agree with Eric's concession that this is less likely a SCCM problem and more likely a MDT/WDS problem.

Still, the common thread is that it's a MS product behavior and the suggestion that it's just a problem with the hardware that we're using is a bit offensive.

• Eric Weller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Weeeellll it's not a hardware issue though I concede it might not be as much an SCCM as an MDT or WDS issue.

But I haven't found a boot image that doesn't require it, yet, and I don't know where I get an SCCM OSD compatible boot image that would, other than by asking Microsoft for it.

Sooooo.......

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can this be used in an automated fashion if people have to enter a keystroke?

Feedback and Knowledge Base