Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Query tuning help by highlighting or coloring indexed fields in query rule editor

I came across many queries in Collections and found that IT-Pros use sometime fileds in their (collection) queries which are not indexed - which has a negative effect on query and collection performance. I would wish that we display the indexed values in bold or colour so you will be aware of the data which gives you better performance. In a second step we may be able to provide an alternative field if available in another attribute class.

30 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Marco Cibis (MS) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • bdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! There's so many poorly written queries out there. Even if you know to use indexed fields ... how can you know which are and which aren't?

Related to this, we should put some kind of preview function that gives results and timing for queries. If we want people to write more efficient queries then let's give them to tools to do so.

• Dustin Hedges commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see this added into Management Insights if it cannot be done directly within the query editor.

• Jeff Carreon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would really help large organizations with large hierarchies for scalability. Most admin console users are NOT aware of indexed vs non-indexed fields. Therefore, performance suffers when many collections are created with non-indexed fields. Please have a way for admins to easily make distinctions between indexed and non-indexed tables.

Feedback and Knowledge Base