Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Change the maximum run time of cumulative updates to 30 minutes

With the new 'cumulative updates' model I think it would be a good idea to change the maximum run time of cumulative updates to 30 minutes (or whatever is best suited). I have noticed more timeout issues with patching in the last couple of months due to the default 10 minutes not being enough time to install 'X' patches as a single CU. This would be preferred to manually overriding them every month.

301 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    daveNZ shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • E Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if Microsoft actually did do the change and modify the MTU to 30 min, but haven't done on some updates on Patch Tuesday (PT) this month 10/10/2017. CU for Windows server 2016 (KB4041691), for example, is about 1.1Gb in size and had a MTU of 10 min, fine for standard spec servers, but for lower test and dev spec VM servers they have failed to install. It ain;t being changed! Annoying.

• Jürgen Winter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@yannara: And at the time you synced, you already had SCCM 1706 with the second first wave update (Or 1706 which was downloaded after August 08)?

• yannara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still see 5min max runtime in CU of W2016 server, KB4041691 as example which I synced today, was set to 5min and its size is 1185mb.

• Greg Mackinnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am just running my second month of cumulative updates using SCCM, and I am experiencing bulk timeout-related failures for Cumulative Updates on Server 2016, and some additional failures on Server 2012 R2.

I agree with others that the default timeout of 10 minutes is completely inadequate for Cumulative Updates on servers, and that it should be bumped to 30-45 minutes.

• Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 on the Server 2016 CU - we mainly patch Datacenters and this is a pain to have to manually change the timeout every month.

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

djam this was already confirmed for W10 updates, but it needs implemented for Server 2016 also - surely this idea should not be closed?

• Brian MacLusky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make sure this happens for server patches too. Lots of problems on our domain controllers running out of time during the past couple of months patching

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about Server 2016 updates? This is critical in a virtualised environment as they always fail.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

30 minutes is not enough for a Azure VM Standard_A2_v2. It takes around 45 minutes to install a cumulative update on Windows Server 2016.

• Stefan Röll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has this already been implement? I can see for all Win10 CUs, that the max runtime is now 30 Minutes.
        However, for Server 2016 CUs, it is still 10 Minutes

• Iain Fairbairn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also it should be noted that since it is a cumulative update, which changes KB ID and supersedes every month, the pain is that you have to go back and change the maximum run length time each time a new version is synced for each server OS otherwise you will find the same errors will crop up again in the future..

• Martin McManus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that we have more 2016 servers, admins have been complaining that patches my team distributes with SCCM are failing because the run time is only 5 minutes. I can see the run time for Windows 10 has been increased, but why not server 2016? In the meantime I'll use a script to update the run time to 30 min for cumulative server 2016 patches until I see them sync with a longer time.
        This is an issue amidst all of the changes that have been made to Software Updates and it's really making things difficult.

• Steven Cera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, We are seeing an increasing number of timeout failures. I've had to manually increase the timeout period for some of the cumulative updates, for example, this month with KB4019472 for Windows Server 2016 because we were seeing timeout failures on about 20% of our systems.

Microsoft please consider, at least for larger cumulative updates, increasing the timeout value to 20 or 30 minutes.

Thank you!

• Bruno Boux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you try to install patches, for example this critical security update.
        Windows10.0-KB3205386-x64 with a size of 1.03 GB.
        The installation fails recurringly with a timeout error. (0X87D0070C)

The root cause is the maximum runtime is a default value in metadata.
        this value is set to 10 minutes.

Microsoft changed his method of deployment for patchs for Windows 7 Windows 8 and Windows 10
        All patches are now bundled in a single update .
        If you don't go into each patches to change the default value you'all going to receive the same error .

May be Microsoft can be change the default value of metadata, or may be add a feature to autorise administrators to define the value by default .

• PaulK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can see this change for Windows 10 allowing 30mins, however Server 2016 Cumulative updates still are defaulting to 10mins.

• Nuno Silva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I vote on that as well...at least for this type of updates. Microsoft please test it on your labs are check if they are installed before 10m...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base