Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Software Center: Add Ability to Launch the Application

Would like to have the ability for the end user to not just install an available deployment, but also launch it there. The way I envision this happening is once the user has installed an available deployment, the "Install" button would change to a "Launch" button, and the Uninstall button would be perhaps a separate button, etc., or perhaps even the icon of the application could be used to launch it and the Install/Uninstall behavior could remain the same.

The benefit of this would be (1) if you removed the start menu or other entry points to the application and forced the user to launch it this way, you could truly know every time they launched the application unless they pinned it or browsed to the executable manually and (2) this would provide an elegant way to implement changes for the current user (e.g. HKCU registry entries required for the application to function, or %USERPROFILE% changes required for the application to function).

89 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jacob Pitcher shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Noted  · 

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

c'est une très bonne idée. avoir un peu l'équivalent de NAL dans Zen for desktop

• d4rkcell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are starting to move away from SCCM for application delivery but for the areas and applications where we will remain SCCM a tickbox in the deployment type that says "Display launch" and then entering the commandline string to run here would be fantastic. We could therefore control what apps we added a launch button/command for preventing users from launching unwanted apps or even scripts. This would definitely be an improvement

• Michael Andrea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Similar to how other application stores (Windows Store, App Store, Play Store, etc.) work when an Application is installed, the ability for the user to launch the installed application directly from the Software Center might improve the user experience.

This could be something optional as not all applications are suitable for this type of feature (Office 365 suite for instance) but for standalone products (i.e. Visio, Project) could take advantage of this.

• C. Lessard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree!!! Coming from 10 years of Zenworks Configuration Management this is something that I always took for "granted". Now we are implementing Windows 10 with SCCM CB and this is one of the HUGE omission of the product.

There should be an option to control the "launch" of an application. The idea behind that is that the user can find everything he needs in the Software Center and install, uninstall or open from the same area. (Not to hijack this thread but this also points to an obvious missing action that should be available to end-users from within Software Center: verify, repair or reinstall application)

Currently, the user has to rely on other means to access the application and it's a lot harder to track where they are as programs do tend to set their shortcut to a different areas: start menu, tiles, desktop, quick launch, etc.... In addition the user can intentionally or not remove these and most of them will now know how to get it back causing unnecessary call to the Service Desk.

• BHoman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

giving our users the ability to execute a program from Software Center after the software install completes. My users are used to the look and feel from the mobile app stores where after the app is installed, they have the option to open without looking for it in the app drawer. A similar experience in the software center may help with user end users.

• Jacob Pitcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I should also add that perhaps additional reporting capability on application launches through this method could be implemented as well.

• Rodrigo Fronza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would suggest to put a button to "open" the application after installing through product Software Center as the user installs an application after installation is complete it can already open your faster and simplified application without the need to seek the start menu.

Feedback and Knowledge Base