Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

windows 10 upgrade servicing

Support SUP/ESD/WSUS/update-based packages via the "Upgrade Operating System" task sequence step so that task sequence-driven upgrades can benefit from the smaller size of the ESD files (2.5GB) compared to the full media used today (3.5GB).

282 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael Niehaus shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Stephen K. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a good idea, especially since OS upgrades are now filtered out from the "Install Software Updates" task sequence step.

• Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To elaborate further on this, there has been a lot of discussion around CM managed clients that are internet based and leveraging the Cloud Management Gateway. One key feature with CMG is that MS Software Updates deployed via CM will pull their content directly from Windows Update rather than requiring space and bandwidth (ie, cost) of delivery via Cloud DP. For an Upgrade TS, I'm literally downloading the same bits to import for an OS Upgrade Package as are sitting out on the Microsoft servers for WU/WUfB users, yet unlike quality updates I have to distribute 3.5GB of data to my Azure based DP, and any managed clients have to in turn download it from Azure. I can't let CM manage just quality updates and let WUfB handle feature updates; it's all or nothing. CMG behavior for quality updates handles this great, as was the ability in a SUG deployment to have it fall back to Microsoft for updates before that, but in scenarios where an Upgrade TS is desired or required for clients that happen to be internet based, it would be great to have the same behavior.

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Start to support ESD files OSD/TS/MDT(?).

Support OS Installation from ESD file.
        Support OS capture to ESD file.

Support OS installation using SWM File (WIM splitted)

Feedback and Knowledge Base