Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Remote tools - client setting to change client service to Automatic startup

One of the biggest issues I hear with the Remote Tools is that when you restart a machine it takes a couple of minutes before you can remote control it again. This is due to the delayed start of the service. I assume that this cannot be changed per default but give us the option using a client setting to change it to Automatic instead of using a GPO would be really sweet!
This is very similar to the following feedback item. https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/8471107-fix-remote-control-bug-after-client-reboot#comments

74 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jörgen NilssonJörgen Nilsson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LeifLeif commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The service by default it set to Automatic Start (Delayed), we used a Group Policy and set the service to Automatic Start and the issue is now fixed.

• CristopherCristopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are well familiar with this behavior and it can sometimes be upwards of 5 minutes to get back into a remote control session. I'm not sure I would call it a bug though because the services are set to Automatic (delayed start). I'd imagine that the SCCM client proper needs to be fully initialized before the remote control component can be utilized.

Luckily, with new hardware utilizing SSDs and gigabit network connections, this issue becomes less and less of a problem for our technicians as time goes by.

• Steve WhitcherSteve Whitcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know if the root cause is the same, but it also takes a very long time to reconnect after the client disconnects/reconnects to the network.

• teammalateammala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix remote control bug that prevents remote control after client is rebooted. Currently you have to wait long time after client reboot to remote control again or have to disconnect remote control before client gets rebooted.

Feedback and Knowledge Base