Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Add the new "Software Updates deployment re-eval behavior upon restart" feature to Application deployments

With CM1606, we get a great new feature on Deployments of Software Update Group that can trigger a software update scan after the reboot. This makes it quicker to fully patch machines since Update A might get installed and now Update B becomes applicable. Previously, you'd have to wait for the next update scan (which at shortest is 24 hours, even if you schedule it for more often) before Update B would show up as required.

Well, this functionality would be incredibly useful on Deployments of Applications. If I deploy Office 2016, I'd want the device to do a software update scan after the enforcement is complete (after reboot if required, or right away if no reboot required).

Because so many applications require updates themselves, or have dependencies/prereqs for things like .NET Framework versions or C++ Redistributables, this feature addition would make it a better user experience and secure devices faster.

13 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Nash Pherson (MVP) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Noted  · 

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • L U commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My vote +3 this week, but I've run out of votes. I really needed this, last week when deploying a suite of security applications, that needed a restart between phases of the installation. If there are multiple restarts, this feature would need to re-evaluate after every restart. When I tested using Application deployment as it stands now, the uninstall worked, then just sat there. We cannot leave systems insecure - that is unacceptable. We require the process to keep going until it's done. Deploying via Task sequence will lose Application management support.

We always use the feature for Software Updates, and would often use it for Application deployments.

• Nash Pherson (MVP) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a workaround, I often include a WMIC command line at the end of the installation to trigger a software update scan, but this misses things that don't show as required until after the reboot.

Feedback and Knowledge Base