Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

BITS Priorities for User Initiated Deployments

Test in 1606: For User launched Application deployments (i.e Software Center) , the BITS job is created as FOREGROUND priority which can hog all of the available bandwidth on the machine.

Package/Programs downloads are launched with a BITS priority of LOW – please can we standardize on this for all user initiated content downloads.

23 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Phil shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Noted  · 

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem is not throttling at all, it's that two similar entries in the software center behave different:
    A user initiated download of a *package/program* will be paused when the energy schema changes to "save battery" (since its bits priority is "low"), while a user initiated download of an *application* will resume in that case (since it's "foreground").
    The user isn't aware of the difference between programs and applications...

• Anthony Greer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2 votes from me! I agree with Jay's comment and would also add that this should be a hotfix, not even a full release feature! Please fix this one and dont make us wait for the next milestone for it!

• JayM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes SWerner, user initiated from the Software Center. I disagree though with that design. There are plenty of circumstances where I want to control the transfer rate of any active content transfer, optional, or required. We can only throttle BITS background transfers. So either we need the ability to throttle BITS foreground transfers, the SCCM transfer methods need to be Background/Low priority only, or we need some way to choose whether any given deployment is using one, or the other.

• swerner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Phil,
    is it triggered by user interaction, but not by the deadline of a required deployment?
    If so, I think it is good that the user gets the app he needs as fast as possible

Feedback and Knowledge Base