Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Secret task sequence variable value Exposed

We have the need to run a command line in the task sequence and leverage a secret value TS variable ADMACCTPW set with the local admin account password. Example Run Command Line "net user admin %ADMACCTPW%
The issue is in the SMSTS.log the variables are all expanded like the ProgramName = 'net user admin mynewadminpassword' InstallSoftware 7/1/2016 12:58:58 PM 4468 (0x1174)

Thereby exposing the secret value TS variable

22 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Rick Gates shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the comments. I worked on a recent CSS request for this – as we’re passing the command line to CMD to run the full command is needed, this would also include the password if specified.

The options I suggested were to wrap this command in a batch file – the logs will only show the batch file entry – or that use the Run As option

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael Kenntenich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your workaround works, but the basic issue is that "secret" values for Task sequence variables are exposed in smsts.log although it is protected in the console and database. The tool smsswd.exe should really be changed so that it won't expose the full program name including all parameters when a secret task sequence variable is used.

Feedback and Knowledge Base