Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Windows 10 Servicing Customization

It would be great to be able to customize the Windows 10 image or allow a "clean up script" to run post install. I like the concept of the Windows 10 Servicing part of the SCCM console. I think it will become important as upgrades start rolling out 1-2 times a year and majority of companies have Windows 10 clients that need servicing. Being able to create Servicing plans will help keep IT on top of the upgrade process through different updates.

The current model just doesn't work for a lot of companies. Not many places allow games such as the Xbox app for corporate use. Candy Crush? come on.... Twitter? Maybe.

I think if you start with the ability to tag on a PowerShell script to run, it would make this much more usable to many companies. Down the road I would like to see the different security updates for the different builds put in there as well. It's going to get messy getting the same vulnerability patched in 3-4 different builds.

Another idea might be to ability to link task sequences into servicing plans.

172 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Larry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The update itself already supports this via "%systemdrive%\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WSUS\SetupConfig.ini"
        Having support for this built into SCCM rather than a pushed script package would make it easier. This work around is also not something well documented with the upgrade process.

• John Buckowing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any movement on this? I would like to use this feature but as it currently stands its simply not a viable solution due to its limitations.

• TF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Almost all customers have some need to run pre/post task sequences to make Servicing Rings usable in a production environment. This was asked for back in July 2016. Any update on when enabling task sequences may be in preview? Thanks!

• Laura Hindle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We definitely require the ability to run tasks after a Windows 10 upgrade as we are often finding the upgrade breaks one of our 3rd party tools/apps. We are finding that we need to run scripts to fix these issues so, having the ability to automate/schedule a script to run after an upgrade would be very beneficial by saving time.

• Richard Cleary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would agree with some of the previous comments around customisations and it would be helpful if you could run automatic post upgrade tasks using a Windows 10 service plan (like you can perform in a task sequence), e.g. re-install an app affected by the feature update. As it stands now the Windows 10 servicing in SCCM is simply not viable for my organisation which is a shame and we are having to use task sequence which are a little clunky in terms of user experience, especially where we need to push the update out to users.

• Joshua Binney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow the use of the new and improved express update in a task sequence. Tied to a servicing plan. Twice a uear feature updates are going to choke our network

• Matthew Gailer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agree this is a must have ability in SCCM. Servicing Plans are an awesome idea to keep the devices within an organisation up-to-date with the latest builds. But having seen some of the results, and the fact that even some minor customisations are "killed" by Servicing Plans, there has to be some way to either run a script or a Task Sequence on the completion of the upgrade (i.e. like the "Post-Processing" group in the In-Place Upgrade Task Sequences). Long term I'd prefer to see Servicing Plans used over Task Sequences for the automation it provides, but currently it's just short of the mark.

• fugazy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Impossible to use Windows 10 Servicing when multi-language is used (and this is the case outside US ;-)
        That's why I must use Task Sequence to :
        1) Switch in US (Default OS language)
        2) Run upgrade
        3) install New multi language version
        4) Install some others stuffs

That's why it could be a really good idea if we could run a TS before & after the Windows 10 Servicing .... or intregrate on it all this functions.

• Dustin Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll chime in here too, I like the idea of the Windows 10 Servicing via SCCM, but after experimenting with it we ran into the same issues. we spent a lot of time carving out the consumer elements prior to building our images, having that junk get re-inserted is a show stopper. in addition, we discovered the servicing option doesn't allow for the execution of custom scripts, i.e. to force a check for windows updates post-upgrade. it feels like the solution is almost ready, enterprise customers just need some additional under-the-hood control points before we can leverage it in production.

• JS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We deinstalled all not needed/allowed Apps during inital OS Deployment of Win 10 1511 and now after Service plan update the apps are available again.

Hope there will be an option soon, that we can prevent installing this apps again while using service plans. For Enterprises this is a MUST Feature

Feedback and Knowledge Base