Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Allow the Client Upgrade to be performed outside maintenance windows

We would like the Client Upgrade feature to allow the client to be upgraded outside of maintenance windows but also give the option to only install when no user is logged in, like deploying Applications allow.

131 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sean Culligan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Calum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just got hit by the exact scenario described by bdam and LoveHate-ConfigMgr this morning, one of my collections had most of its clients fail to patch as the client upgraded partway through the installations.
        Please, if we can't allow the client upgrade to be performed outside maintenance windows, at least add some logic so that the client doesn't upgrade whilst it's running tasks like software installations, or add another maintenance window type for client upgrades. I don't know what state most of these clients are now in but it's not pretty.

• bdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmm, interesting points brought up below. If this is done during a MW that might interfere with ongoing updates/installations. So maybe we need another MW type or an option to only update a client outside of a MW? Or just internal logic that verifies that none of those activities are going on before initiating the update (maybe that's already a thing?)

• Rich Newton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of our servers are under a blanket maintenance window which prevents the client from upgrading. For those servers we have to create a separate package and deploy it with the option to run outside of maintenance windows.

• Paul Wetter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had client updates hose my patch cycle last month for over half my servers. Why I haven't run into this before, dumb luck I guess. Until something is done with this, a custom deployment as bdam suggested, I guess. Or a strategic reconfiguration of maintenance windows maybe...

• LoveHate-ConfigMgr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Automatic Client Upgrades honoring maintenance windows only can step on the Software Updates deployment, rendering them in a "Installing" state as the service is pulled out from underneath with an unfavorable recovery. A reboot does not seem to correct the status state of the deployment. Disabling the deployment; Allow policy to be revoked; Enable the deployment; This returns the Software Updates deployment to a Downloaded State but System is pending a reboot in most cases due to some or all of the updates having been successfully installed but the system not rebooted. Ugly to say the least.

• Joel Holliday commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my voice to this request... we find ourselves having to create a custom client upgrade package just so that we can send the client servicing outside Maintenance Windows.

• Ray Rosen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please consider adding a check box to "Ignore Maintenance Windows" in the feature dialog box that sets OverrideServiceWindows=TRUE on the hidden advertisement.

• Jeremiah Abbott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I mentioned something about this at MMS 2017 during a NoF session. I'd like to see an additional Maintenance Window type added for Client Upgrade. Our environment uses maintenance windows pretty heavily, but there are some devices that do not get routine maintenance windows. It would be nice to be able to apply something specific for the sake of AutoUpgrade.

• bdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. It's pretty common to have a non-repeating maintenance window to prevent anything happening on certain devices. At least, any deployment that doesn't explicitly override the window. Any devices in such a window will never apply the automatic upgrade. Further, you cannot add custom deployments to the client packages so the only recourse is to create your own.

• Koenraad Rens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To me it seemed strange this used the maintenance window.
        We are upgrading from 1511 to 1607 and using the automatic upgrades for the first time. We gave the upgrade 14 days.
        Clients wait until the maintenance window. But at that moment ccmsetup only creates the Upgrade Task which will be started somewhere in the future. It didn't seem this task respected the Maintenance Window.
        In our site with maintenance windows once every week, most upgrades will be started at the end of the 14 days period.

• Travis Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or to expand on this, have the ability to target where and how the upgrade will happen. Id like to give a heads up to a geographical location (hey St. Louis you are going to be upgraded over the next few nights). It would help out for ongoing deployments, to steer clear of those sites while a client upgrade is happening.

Feedback and Knowledge Base