Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

ConfigMgr SUM installs should update the date of last install in Windows Update control panel applet

When you only use ConfigMgr to install updates, the date on the Windows Update control panel applet often reflects something that is really inaccurate as ConfigMgr doesn't update it. This often leads to a very negative reaction of "I thought those darn ConfigMgr admins were updating our workstations and servers!?!" And then we have to explain that we are, but that date doesn't get changed.

Can we please just ensure that when Software Update Management installs any updates, the Windows Update control panel applet gets set to the current date?

I stole the screenshots from this thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b33dd5b2-64b3-476d-8fc5-232cbafced47/sccm-updates-are-installed-but-windows-update-status-wrong?forum=ConfigMgrCompliance

And I stole the idea of submitting the feedback from this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/812eef00-bdef-4c8d-a8ea-1d4424f1941e/software-updates-does-not-change-last-update-install-date-in-windows-update?forum=ConfigMgrCompliance

Thank you for your help!

70 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Nash Pherson (MVP) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rick Bywalski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have had the same issue multiple times with people freaking out that their server had not been patched in over a year when it was in fact patched every month. I spoke with Brad Anderson about it at Ignite two years ago.

• Matt Bailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this exact problem not just with the users, i also have this problem with the help desk. Adding the fact that Endpoint pushes updates separately to SCCM explaining to them how to note the difference between SCCM updates and Endpoint definitions in the update history to tell if the updates are working doesn't help me. This would be a great fix.

• Nash Pherson (MVP) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had another conversation with a customer last week who thought updates had not been installed because this date didn't get updated.

Feedback and Knowledge Base