Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Correct the "Add Selected Items" ribbon button functionality

Currently when you select a collection(s) in the console, then utilize the "Add Selected Item" button you are able to functionally add the collection(s) selected to another collection as a member, however it does not actually add the member of the selected collection(s) to the target collection just the root collection itself.

Example A:
1. Open Console and navigate to Administration \ Assets and Compliance \ Device Collections \ Select a collection.
2. Click the "Add Selected Items" button and then "Add selected items to existing device collection"
3. Select the existing collection that is to be the target

The collection itself now shows in the membership of the target collection, however the members of the collection added are not and are not utilized by the target collection.

Example B:
1. Open Console and navigate to Administration \ Assets and Compliance \ Device Collections \ Select a collection and open it.
2. Select a device or devices in the collection
3. Click the "Add Selected Items" button and then "Add selected items to existing device collection"
4. Select the existing collection that is to be the target

The devices themselves now shows in the membership of the target collection.

Since the functionality of this ribbon button is a part of the Core XML files for the console stored "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminConsole\XmlStorage\ConsoleRoot." it is not supported to modify them by Microsoft per the article here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh949647.aspx

Please update the code for this button \ process to add the members of a selected collection to the target collection truly or grey the button out when collections are selected instead of devices \ users so that the "Add Selected Items" cannot be utilized.

80 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Charles Allen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sean Baska commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Chetana, I just experienced the same issue and fought with Microsoft Support for the better part of 2 days regarding this. Hopefully this being shown as "Completed" still allows it to be seen as I don't want to open something new when its already been reported.

I'd like to offer a recommendation using what I've found. When the items are selected that you want to add to the new targeted collection, perhaps the verbiage should be changed when you are using the buttons in the Collections tab/ribbon. The button "Add Selected Items to Device Collection" is very misleading. That same verbiage is found on the Home tab/ribbon, and when you right-click one of those selected members. The issue of adding the entire collection to the targeted collection only seems to occur on the Collections tab/ribbon. If you use the Home tab/ribbon or right-click, only then does it truly add the selected items. Perhaps the verbiage on the Collections tab/ribbon could be changed to "Add Entire Collection to Existing Device Collection", or it could be grayed out as the OP suggested.

I know better now based on my experience, however the verbiage could cause someone else in the future to inadvertently add every device in one collection to another collection with a TS assigned. :)

• Chetana Adhikari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Charles,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We tried to repro the problem that you have described. We created a collection A with three members and Collection B with three members. We targeted Collection B to collection A. Now collection A has 6 members. If we go to collection A and do show members all 6 members are listed here (3 from collection B and 3 from collection A).But if we go to Collection A’s properties (and Membership Rules Property sheet), in the list-view, it will only list its 3 members and Collection B(but not its members). We wanted to verify with you that what you are recommending is that we list the targeting collection’s members here, not just the collection itself?

Another thing to note is that: If we go to the targeted collection and click on 'show members' we will find all members from (Targeting Collection + Collection being Targeted) listed there. Could you please help us understand the importance of listing these members in the Membership Rules Property Sheet listview?

Feedback and Knowledge Base