Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Console device view should allow search/filter by MAC address

We find ourselves trying to go from MAC address to device in the console fairly regularly, especially when troubleshooting things like PXE from the logs (which only shows MAC address) and needing to kill off failed OSD records (which may be named "Unknown" or have a random computer name in ConfigMgr, but you're now in WinPE ready to kick off the TS again, but only have the MAC from ipconfig /all to ID the old record).

The MAC addresses are already being pulled by Heartbeat inventory, but you can't search/filter of part/all of the MAC address.

Thank you for making ConfigMgr easier to use and troubleshoot!

136 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Nash Pherson (MVP) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • James Tuson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow! It only took 13 years for this simple function. Thanks guys, will make many lives easier.

• Rob Blois commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, but I don't think it should stop at MAC Address. There are a lot of other fields that should appear in the console: IP Address, Last/Current Logged on User, DN, AD Site. There are many items that are collected as part of a standard HW Inv that could be used. They should all be optional, so that those who don't want to see them don't have to, but I think it's a failure to not have this info available right from the console.

• SomeITDude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure why this does not have more votes. SCCM should have the ability to do a search for device by MAC address from the 'Assets and Compliance' section. This is a feature available in other asset management tools such as LANDesk (which we switch from for SCCM) :( and was a great thing to have. I know Microsoft is going to say you can perform this search under reporting but seriously why should we have to go look someplace else to find information for something that is part of the area we are currently in? Microsoft this is something that should have been and should be implemented regardless of the small amount of votes it has received. I vote to implement it. I miss being able to perform that search right in the device search field.

• Drew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have you used the report "MAC - Computers for a specific MAC address"? It's not as fast but useful.

• Nash Pherson (MVP) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finding the right "Unknown" computer object to delete out of the console since it blocks you from finding the task sequence is a common pain point.

When troublehsooting PXE, the pxe log and status messages only shows the MAC address, so you can't easily correlate logs/status messages quickly to devices.

Thanks for your help with this!

• Ryan Ephgrave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You could create a query to search for a device by MAC. It's not as good as putting it directly in the Assets and Compliance node, but it's pretty easy.

• Jeff Crawford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the drop down list for devices you should be able to choose MAC address as an option. I mean how much easier it would be to find that device which has a mac address already in the system if you could just search for it in the console directly. Today you either have to write SQL or use some other custom tool in order to search for a MAC address when configMgr has the data it needs it just needs to easily be searchable.

Feedback and Knowledge Base