Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Task Sequence Error Dialog Box Needs to Show Step Name

The error dialog box for the task sequence shows the error code, but does not show you what step threw the error.
- Show the step name on the default error dialog box.
- The modal dialog box for errors goes directly over the progress dialog box, so you can’t see the step from there without using the mouse.
- You may not have mouse support, especially when you are RDPing into a box with a VMware or Hyper-V console… which means this is REALLY frustrating

185 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nash Pherson (MVP) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Noted  · 

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The same as 'Gibson99'. Every time the techs call me to say "it's not working, I have error 4005". I prefer they just shut u*, always the same story

• AdamGrossTX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This as well as adding a TS variable to capture the Name of the last step that failed. Most people trap the error then do post-error cleanup steps. This makes it necessary to dig through the logs or reports to find what step actually failed. Making it easier to handle errors in general would be fantastic.

• Levi Stevens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We basically had to write a PowerShell script to parse the SMSTS.LOG and display a meaningful messages.

• Nash Pherson (MVP) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have my permission to use any and all extraordinary measures needed to get an intern to ensure this change is ready before the next release. Kidnap interns from other teams. Lock interns in their cubes over night. Force feed interns energy drinks. Feel free to tell security that "Nash said it was ok!".

• Gibson99 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THIS!!! A THOUSAND TIMES THIS!!! 3 votes is not enough for this. I can't tell you how many times my techs email/call me and say "it failed" and if they actually give me an error code, it's usually 80004005 which is about as useful as ye olde 1603 from msiexec - completely worthless. it doesn't matter how many times i tell the techs to move the error message or hit alt-tab and tell me WHICH step it failed on, and extending the auto-reboot time didn't help either (except for my own testing). having the error message NOT be system modal or having it moved up/down so that it doesn't cover up the progressUI window would be ideal if you can't just include the actual task sequence step name in the error dialog box itself.

• Nash Pherson (MVP) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, you could just make it so the error dialog box isn't modal which would mean we could ALT+tab to the step name.

Feedback and Knowledge Base