Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Speed up OSD by having ConfigMgr set High Performance power settings in WinPE and Running OS during TS

When you run a task sequence, both WinPE and the target OS by default run with a Balanced power plan. Changing this in both WinPE and the target OS can significantly speed up the task sequence. For example, when applying a large WIM file, we've seen laptops go from taking 15 minutes to apply to less than 8 minutes by adding some Run Command Line steps to change the power to High Performance.

162 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Nash Pherson (MVP) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dave S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just learned about setting power plan today. It shaved 8 minutes from my deployment. What is the ETA of having this as a supported feature in SCCM?

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I run this cmd in my TS after each reboot to set the power to high PowerCfg.exe /s 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update or progress on this issue yet? We're getting close to a year since Bob's response.

During the TaskSequence the Power Scheme may change as device drivers or hardware driver applications are installed that change the scheme. There is no hook after a client restart to set the power scheme again. The TS engine could ensure that at all time a high performace linke scheme is active.

• Cristopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I add a command line step into my OSD task sequences that runs powercfg and sets power management as needed. Once OSD is complete, the SCCM client downloads the correct power management policy for whatever collections the object is a member of.

During OSD TaskSequence slate devices go to connteced standby. There is no option to configure power scheme settings during the OSD TaskSequence. A feature could be implemented to make sure "High Performance" is always the active power scheme during OSD:

Feedback and Knowledge Base