Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Application Groups

Today many use Task Sequence to deploy set of applications and packages to computers in order to have control over install order, convenience of everything installing at same time and the name will show up on computer (example: HR applications).
It would be good with a new feature (I call it Application Groups) where we can add application and packages and on the console + client side (Software Center) you will see for example "HR applications" and the software that it will install with status for individual applications/packages part of the group.
Same control as TS with install order. Ability to add/remove applications and packages and the changes will automatically apply to the computers having the application group deployed.
This will be very useful in scenarios where applications need to be upgraded for a specific set of users or new applications needs to be added or removed for the specific group of users part of the deployment.

44 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Fredrik shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Noted  · 

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • o0MattE0o commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like this in the Software Center, Currently installing Proofing Tools for Office 365 and it would be nice if you could create a group and users go into this group instead of filling out all the Applications Folder :(

• Ivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been trying to get this functionality by creating a dummy application that requires other applications, but it turns out to be so unreliable in Task Sequences that I had to drop this idea.

• Ivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very good idea. One other use case for this (similar to an 'Application Bundle' in MDT) is an ability to "hardcode" it in various Task Sequences so that I could only update the list in one place (within the Application Group) and not in all the Task Sequences that share the logic.

• Kale Duden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another use case: With the need for speedy OSD, this type of function could make it easier to get the OS down but still have a quality user experience in the end. Install role based apps in a group. Allow the ability to install all or check just ones they need. Deploy to users so you aren't system specific. Another nice to have would be to have an install order when creating groups.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having this feature esp. together with being able to define the install order would be much appreciated.

Feedback and Knowledge Base