Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Software Center: Add categories to maching targetted deployments.

The new Software Center in 1511 should also categorize Applications using the user category even if it is not deployed to users but systems instead. It should reflect the user category no matter what.

347 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Daniel N. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dietmar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Version 1806 installed this week. While I love the possibility to define a custom web site we still miss categories deployed to machines. When do you think to implement this functionality? This worked well with the old Software center.

• Doug Morrison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mark Silvey, does this issue have much traction? Are we likely to see something like containers come into production any time soon?

• AdminMark Silvey - ConfigMgr Product Team (Admin, System Center Configuration Manager) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Doug Morrison - Makes total sense, thanks for the feedback. No more questions :)

@Dietmar - Regarding preventing users to install licensed apps to many machines: We've invested quite a bit in our approval scenarios over the last few releases and continue to do so. Approvals now can be tied to a machine so a user would have to request approval again for new machines. We've also recently shipped support to revoke approval, causing the app to be uninstalled, in a recent technical preview. Let us know if you have any more feedback on these scenarios!

Thanks

Mark

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is quiet complicated to target all deployments as user based. Not all applications work as user-based and we need to target those to machine based. If you can add a similar filtering feature as that of user based applications that would be great.

@Mark Silvey, OK, I wasn't aware of the filters option but it doesn;t really address my issue. I would prefer to see these filter categories as directories on the UI. A user can then click on a directory, say 'Office', and they would see all available applications that have been tagged with that category. The user would also be able to click on an 'All programs' option to list all available software.

Historically we deploy apps to machines because it was the way to do so until ConfigMgr 2012 I think. We maintain 1300 Applications so it will take much more time to change to user targeted deployments. And we don't know how to prevent users to login to many machines to install licensed apps like AutoCAD or something else. Because of this we deploy to machines.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SW Center needs a folder structure or categorization. With the new SCCM Application Model more and more applications are deployed as Available. Users should be able to browse categories and/or folders to navigate. And this should be available when the application is deployed to machine as well.

• Nik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SW Center is great, BUT this lack of ability to tidy it up and group apps is killing me.
        We'd love to give users more control and the ability to use SW Center, BUT after 50 apps it is just a mess inside (deploying to machines)

It would be very much appreciated if we could order the apps into views (select default view possible from the client settings on the site server) or some sort of folders. It would be great end-user experience then

Historically we depoly Applications to machines. We have maintained the categories for the software catalog to make it easy for our users to find the software they need. However, the new Software Center do not show the categories in "Filter" for deployments targeted to machines.

Please enable filtering for machine targeted applications. Thanks!

• Doug - It's already possible in the drop down filter... all user categories are visible there. We are tracking to addtions to this that are gaps.

1. It's not very discoverable in the UI. Users are used to the categories listed on the side..

2. User categories aren't available on the client when apps are deployed to machines.

Let me know if we're missing something else.

@Mark Silvey, with the latest release of current branch we now have the ability to toggle between tile and list view. Could we maybe have the ability to also toggle between 'All Apps' and 'Categorized Apps'?

• Manuel Brunnauer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Group Software Center

e.g.: a category Office
        a category keyboard layout
        and so forth

so that it becomes clearer when you have 30 or more applications to choose from.

• Zsolt Varga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same needs. We have number of application and the current approach is no longer sustainable. I can search or categorize in MS Store too

• NimbleNerd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same need. The folder concept would help. A default location would be good for others who don't post as many apps as available and don't have the need to categorize.

We also deploy software to machines and we have really a problem if the catagories do not work. We deploy software on computer basis with AD Groups for years now and it's nearly impossible to change this system because of the amount of computers in combination with amount of software. That's history.

• AdminMark Silvey - ConfigMgr Product Team (Admin, System Center Configuration Manager) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

User categories are the way we support this today. Does categorization help? I suspect having them them in the drop down is not discoverable? If we made categories more visible to the user (similar to a folder concept, but with no nesting) would that help? In that scenario, would you still want a default "all" view or something else?

Why hasn't this been added yet?! We have multiple versions of the same software that we deploy. It looks so messy and seems crazy that there is no way to tidy things into containers.

• Hannah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To have the software categorized in the software center using the choices set up in the user category would be incredibly useful for our users to search by. Hope this gets considered in the future.

• Dominik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very useful to have. We have most of our standard applications deployed for "all devices with config manager client" and we wondered why the categories that can be set in the application do not show up in softwarecenter.

Having categories only for user based deployments is very inconsistent, and may confuse users and administrators a lot. Would be great if you can equal this.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base