Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Software Center (1602) icons are blurry

In the new Software Center the icons in the catalog are blurry. I have attempted to upload new ICO's with better quality, but the results remain the same. Please consider resolving the quality issue and/or allowing larger icon resolutions above 250x250. The new Software Center is nice, but only if we make it that way with professional icons.

185 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Garrett ChandlerGarrett Chandler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Noted  · 

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ben WattBen Watt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, as it looks like this hasn't had any traction yet, and it was stopping me moving our user's to the new Software Center, I experimented a little today with how to get the icons to look reasonable enough.

So, as Garrett says in the original description of this issue, the maximum resolution you can add is 250x250. This in itself is annoying, as many icons will have a resolution of 256x256 as their larger size.

However, what I discovered is that unless you add an .ico that only contains an image of 250x250, and has no other sizes or colour-ranges, or use say a .png file instead, Software Center will not use that size.

Instead it always wants to use the 32x32 size above everything else, and it will use the 8-Bit (256 colours) version (or lower) of it, even if there is say a 32-Bit version available instead.

There is some interesting behaviour as you go down removing the possible options. So if you remove all 32x32 icons in your .ico file, it will use the 48x48 size, but if you remove that size, it will ignore larger sizes and use a 24x24 size instead. Take that away, and it will use 64x64, but if you remove 64x64 too, it will use 16x16 over continuing up to use a 250x250 size!

So, as I say - if you want your icons to look reasonably good until such time as this is fixed (good enough that I can now push on with rolling out the new Software Center once I've altered all our icons), use a file that only contains a 250x250 sized image whether that's an edited .ico file with the 256x256 size reduced to 250x250, or use another image filetype with that sized image.

• AnthonyAnthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Icons are not only blurry, but unsightly. the view of the icons we get under the "installed software" tab are what's needed here.

• Patrik HolmqvistPatrik Holmqvist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, the icons are really blurry in the "new" Software Center and it makes the end user experience look old/cheap

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Garrett, I've not seen this before. Could you provide a screenshot of the effect, as well as the icon file used?

• Joe KJoe K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Standard sizes for high quality icons are 128x128 or 256x256. Please allow at least that much if not more, even if SCCM scales it down to 256x256 after the fact. It is frustrating to find images with such low resolution.

Feedback and Knowledge Base