Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Software Center: Show only available Software (Hide already installed req. Software)

New Software Center: show only available Software which the user actually can install/uninstall (hide already installed req. Software, which is installed as System)

214 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Christoph von Wittich shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • L U commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@HoustonAU, if you just run the application evaluation cycle (instead of clicking the 'install' button), do the apps' status change? (May take several minutes to run through them all).

If an application is required but deadline scheduled after 'available' time, then of course, they should also see it in the 'Available' list. If it's required and past its deadline then it should only be in the 'installed' list, and even then, it would be good to have an option to hide some things altogether in the Application definition unless, say, running Software Center (SC) for an admin userid, or only showing everything if a special filter is chosen in SC. There are some times when us admins need to be able to dig in and see the whole set of applications that have been targeted/installed.

• Adam Kearsey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Mark. By 'Available' I mean applications deployed to a collection as 'Available'. So yes, available to install.

In our enterprise, our users only need to be concerned with 'Available' applications, since 'Required applications are installed when their machines are built. They only need to see other applications they have assigned specifically to them, which they can install when required.

Thanks

• HoustonAU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this is being worked on, can I also tack a related point on. Software Center does not correctly reflect the state of installed 'Available' apps.

We install several apps through OSD, but they are also listed as 'Available' in Software Center. When you check the application, even though it is install and detected correctly, Software Center still shows an 'Install' button.

Clicking that button does nothing, just switches it to an 'Uninstall' button.

As we move further down the 'self service' path of Software Center we are trying to remove any confusion for users.

This would help!

• Adam Kearsey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Applications tab in Software Center has filters for 'All' and 'Required' applications. Can one for 'Available' applications be added, too?

• Russell Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wouldn't hide installed software, just make it a different tab or section. Why was Available Software removed in the new Software Center anyway?

'Available' applications to be the only thing user first sees when they open the Softare Center.

Other views by selection/filtering/hiding are fine, but lower priority.

Separate 'Available' tab, first in the list, is the best way to do this (thanks, HoustonAU). Absolutely don't want our users looking at our system-'required' applications such as security apps! Feels like looking up our skirts!

• Anthony Marzetta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to have the option to show only available software via the Filter drop down menu. Granted, you can get the same done by typing in "Available" in the search field, but having it as part of the drop-down menu would make more sense. I would also add, not only show only available software, but to also add back the functionality to allow the checking of multiple applications and/or patches to install per the older Software Center as well.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - Would like to see List as the default view, and the Sort By field with a default of Status for the Applications section. Hiding the already installed applications would be a nice feature as well.

• Lisa D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tile view is a very inefficient use of space and provides little useful information.

• Jason DaSilva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Default view for Software Center is no longer beneficial to the end user. Tile view gives no information on the various applications. Would prefer these 2 changes:
        1. Default to List view. This way they can at least see the status of the packages advertised.
        2. Have the Filter have the ability to hide already installed packages (have filters for the various statuses). If I wanted to see that info, I would go to the Install Status page (which I might add, defaults to List view)

• Russell Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Who the heck decided to show ALL applications regardless of install state as the default view and no way to filter the view? The old SC was much better! Give back our Available section please! Or let us filter for it and set as default view.

• Jake Trojan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition, there should be an ability to sort available Applications by Free (no approval) and Paid (Requires Approval)

• Stefan Cuypers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Related to this: it would be nice if we could actually see the installation state of software on the Applications tab.
        When we deploy PC's to users we look at the applications the user needs and install them. Now we have to click on each application before we can see the installed state. It would be nice if we could already see it in the overview.

• HoustonAU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it is a question of resources I would see the 'Available' tab being created and made default as the top priority.

• Murray Webber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Software Center, when used as an on-demand/self-service portal with available software, can become quite cluttered. As the new Software Center already has the "All" and "Required" filter headings, it would be nice to expand these for better management, for example:

a) Add an "Available" option, and make this the default. After all, aside from when you have requires software/updates to do, the Software Center is often used for available software, so make that the default. This is already another UserVoice, so feel free to vote for that separately at: https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/13185639-display-applications-that-are-available-but-not-i

b) Add the ability to (un)hide available software from the list, and support this with another "Hidden" filter option. That way, if you have a large number of available software items, and they aren't installed (and thereby filtered with the above option), you can choose to hide them if you don't intend to use them.

As such, I propose that the top filter options be:

[b]Available[/b] | Required | Hidden | All

This, combined with the existing UserVoice suggestions for a "list mode" and the in-development "checkboxes" (for multiple selections), would be a real usability improvement.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base