Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Allow us to disable, hide or edit the "Confirm that you want to install a new operating system on your computer" popup

Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to be able to disable the "Confirm that you want to install a new operating system on your computer" prompt that you see when you launch an OSD task sequence in Windows.

Right now you cannot change this behaviour, in addition you cannot even customize the text.

What I'd like to see is the following (particularly with the Windows 10 Upgrade task sequence being used within Windows.)

* ability to DISABLE this popup via the deploy ts wizard
* ability to EDIT the popup's text to something more 'fitting' (think about Upgrade...)

and lastly (related)

* ability to make a task sequence hidden in Windows during the deploy ts wizard so that it does not show up in Software Center

467 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Niall C. BradyNiall C. Brady shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Updating to completed. 1702 is released, see here for more details https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/plan-design/changes/whats-new-in-version-1702

From TAP and Tech Preview we’ve had some feedback, e.g.
    - make only the headline and first line required
    - have sample text
    - allow customizing where the task sequence appears Applications or Operating Systems regardless of properties
    If there’s additional feedback or changes please send them on either via User Voice, or mail.

Thanks

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would also be nice to integrate pre-flight checks for network, power etc into an OS TS.

Do you mean this "Customize high-risk deployment warning – You can now customize the Software Center warning when running a high-risk deployment, such as a task sequence to install a new operating system. The default string regarding data may not apply in scenarios like in-place upgrade." Can you please provide more detail on how this will work? This has to be customizable on a per Task Sequence deployment basis, not just one central setting.

• fugazyfugazy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another guy (me) agree with Niall.
        It will be smart to remove or give us the possibility to customize the message which tell to our users that they can lose datas.

• Phil WPhil W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will confirm that the language is updated if you are using the "Old" Software Center. The "New" Software Center has the misleading text.

Screenshots:
        Old: http://imgur.com/F1iJ1Zz
        New: http://imgur.com/7t5Itsi
        Same client, same task sequence, CMCB 1610

Found language inside of C:\Windows\CCM\ClientUX\SCClient.SharedResources.dll

• Joel PJoel P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like the change made it into 1610 but only for the old Software Center? Not the new Software Center? Can someone confirm that?

• Alan DooleyAlan Dooley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely needed. Even deploying Anniversary Update via Software Updates presents the user with this warning resulting in many service desk calls with worried customers expecting to lose all local data.

Implement the abillity to provide a customizable message to the logged on end user in a tasksequence. We need this feature for image maintenance where we combine several updates in a tasksequence which may take a while to complete and needs several reboots as well. A message with the option to start the tasksequence later would be nice.

We use tasksequences to update software with complex or multiple command lines. When a tasksequence is used you cannot control the restart required tag in Software Center. The default restart required value is set to No. You cannot change it. It Would be nice if you could edit this as a option on the properties of a tasksequence.

• Dave MinerDave Miner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The calls and emails I get when someone is in an Upgrade collection and actually read the pop up and are now questioning me that their Data is going to be okay.

FIX THIS

• MikhailCompoMikhailCompo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To remove this nay mean Microsoft gave to admit and agree to Task Sequences being used other than for OSD.Currently the official stance is they are not supported for non OSD, despite the fact that everyone uses them it that way.

Come on Microsoft, get with reality!

• Vladimir  ZelenovVladimir Zelenov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better if popup window will have own step of task sequence. And as option this window can contains checkbox "Prompt password" for continue instead of using PXE password.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base