Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Support OSD over Wireless

As more and more devices are shipping without wired network adapters, and more business areas are going "wireless only," the traditional ability to reimage a device in place is getting scarce. This is especially true in primary and secondary education institutions.

Please provide support for adding Wireless drivers to WinPE, and the ability to provision wireless network profiles for the WinPE phase of the task sequence to enable imaging over wireless network connections.

365 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nash Pherson (MVP) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Noted  ·  sangeev responded  · 

Updated by bobmn for sangeev/OSD

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Benjamin Sanders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More and more manufacturers are building devices without a traditional NIC, this is a must for "modern management"

• JD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, can you please add support for this? A lot of the new laptops are coming without network ports.

• Barry Duncan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since the advent of Microsoft's own hardware being released without a traditional hardwired NIC, this is 100% a necessity.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lots of votes and over 2 years old. I'm beginning to think 'UserVoice' is a black hole.

• Dennis Warren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really needed in SCCM. I have many users who do not use Ethernet connections. Delivering USB Media to the users or purchasing Ethernet Dongles is really prohibitive in large scale deployments. I work on OSD, so that I don't have to visit the workstation or manually support a deployment. Without wireless support of OSD, I no longer see the point of it. My PC deployments are 60% wireless. Although I have to get my current deployment done, I will be considering a replacement to this product shortly afterward. We have about a year to go before we replace / upgrade hardware. If SCCM won't fit our needs, it's out.

• Herman van Drie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I already achieved this item with 802.1x auth support:
        https://twitter.com/hvandrie/status/875303380977164288
        Uses Network Access account for EAP-MSCHAPv2 authentication on the wireless connection.
        Whenever I can I'll publish the required coding on GitHub.
        Requirements:
        - WinRE media
        - WiFi drivers
        - C# application
        - Network Access account configured in ConfigMgr that allows access to wireless network
        Allows deployments over 802.1x Enteprise wireless networks using "Access content directly from a distribution point when needed by the running task sequence" option in deployment.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are looking at deploying the surface pro which has no wired network having this ability would be a big step forward

• Jason Kuhn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have over 30,000 Windows devices on my network that do not even have a wired network adapter. Wireless imaging is an absolute necessity for us

Feedback and Knowledge Base