Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Status Messages in the SCCM Console

Status messages are amazingly helpful in the SCCM console, but difficult to get to. For instance, whoever wrote the status messages for Task Sequence deployments did an amazing job, yet I cannot access these without making a custom query! This is an amazing troubleshooting tool that is hidden from the average user.

I'd like to get access to status messages from the object that makes the status message. For instance, if I right click on a task sequence deployment, I want to be able to view all status messages associated with that object. If I right click on a distribution point, I want to see all messages associated with that DP. The same with content, devices, users, etc.

I've written console extensions that pass data from the console to statview.exe to add these features in myself, but really it should be something that's included by default. It'd be amazing if it just opened statview.exe and didn't redirect to another screen in the console also.

Once I wrote the extension, I couldn't live without it at any client I went to. Being able to view all the OSD status messages for a specific deployment by simply right clicking on that deployment is an amazing help!

94 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ryan Ephgrave shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Noted  · 

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would save me a lot of time!
    Instead of finding the deployment ID then entering it into the All Status Messages for a Specific Deployment at a Specific Site query (Or creating a custom query every time we add a deployment) which opens a seperate window that you have to minimise or drag to 2nd screen.

Right clicking a deployment and selecting a potential "Show Status Messages", then it prompt for a time (1 hour ago, 6, 12, days weeks etc) would be awesome!

• Bob Panick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's a very cool idea. We created an Excel spread sheet with canned queries to do basically the same thing. Largely because a lot of the data was more readable that way.

• Todd Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Status Messages were much more accessible in ConfigMgr 2007. They really are hidden and hard to use in 2012 and CB.

• Stephen Owen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see this linked from the Task Sequences list under OSD. Let me see a direct link from the Summary tab to hop into the status messages view/report.

Feedback and Knowledge Base