Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

12 months to decommission any SCCM site servers running on Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2

Now that Configuration Manager vNext Build 1511 has been released, we have 12 months to decommission any SCCM site servers running on Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2.

All the details can be found here - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt210917.aspx

I'm working in a large organization and our SCCM infrastructure is made of 1 central site, 4 primaries and 622 Distribution Points running the Windows 2008 R2 OS...and we can not migrate as many servers in just one year...especially in the middle of the fiscal year where the IT budget has already been reviewed numerous times and approved by our management several months ago.

I can not ask the creation of an unexpected project of several millions $ in the middle of the FY and even if I do it, we can not migrate 622 servers spread out accross the globe in just 12 months.

All our attention and resources are currently focused on the migration to SCCM vNext and to the deployment of the new Windows 10 OS.

Also, there is no point in paying an expensive "Windows 2008 Extended Support" if, on the other hand, we are forced to migrate to Windows 2012 for product compatibility reasons.

Because of the above reasons, I filled a DCR (Design Change Request) to ask Microsoft to extend their support of Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2 SCCM site servers up to 24 months after ConfigMgr vNext was released (instead of 12 months)

Please vote if you agree with this proposal or if you are in the same situation than me.

Thanks in advance !

38 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Stephane Laterza shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Stephane Laterza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed, all my CAS, Primaries and SUP servers are already on 2012 but my 622 DPs are still on 2008. BUT....issue resolved now ;-)
    Look at today's MS updates, they approved my Design Change Request (thanks guys !)
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt628077.aspx

Note:
    This operating system continues to support use for the distribution point site system role (including pull-distribution point) until deprecation of this support is announced or this operating system's extended support period expires.

• Kenneth Merenda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For full Win10 software update support beyond February 2016, you'd need to update your CAS, primaries, and SUP's to server 2012 anyway. Win10 updates after Feb will need WSUS 4.0, and if your SUP's have WSUS 4.0, your primaries and CAS need it to so they communicate with the same API.
    I'm in the same boat as you (though not as many DP's), so this sucks. Extending support for server 2008R2 is great for existing clients, but I'm still stuck on Win10 clients.

Feedback and Knowledge Base