Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Allow admins to change the default in Software Deployment from “UTC” to “Client Local"

It would be extremely helpful if administrators could change the default “Time based on:” option used in Software Deployment from “UTC” to “Client Local Time”. This setting is highly subjective and only companies that are based in multiple time zones AND want software to deploy simultaneously across all time zones want UTC as the default. Forcing the UTC default upon all customers needlessly increases the chance of human error. Allowing administrators to change the default would satisfy all customer’s needs rather than just those that leverage UTC.

97 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Phil J shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Cristopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I had any more votes I'd gladly use them on this. We're constantly getting burned by this. I'm willing to be the majority of SCCM installs are limited to a single time zone. Let us default everything to client local time, please!

• Eric Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having UTC as the default setting for Application Deployments has caused several Major incidents in our environment over the past 4 years. UTC will never be an option where I work and I need the ability to disable it or at least change the default to match what Package deployments look like.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no consistency with this option. Package deployment, application deployment and software deployment all have different client time settings. Please remove this default, as deployments that are thought to be scheduled a certain time cause down time and it turns into a costly $$$$ mistake.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently the most dangerous problem in SCCM. Even with years of experience all it takes is one deployment and a simple mistake not changing from UTC to local to wreak havoc when servers reboot 5+ hours earlier than you expect.

Allowing Admins to set the default based on their preference would be a huge benefit to everyone.

I completely agree with this one. This issue bit me today and made me look how to change the default to client time

• Clayton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would crorect a lont of mistacks and untill my powershell gets better this makes more sence .
    why UNC any way . there is no way to schedual with that .

• Phil J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The issue is magnified by the inconsistency of the default. With Application deployments, it defaults to UTC, whereas with Package deployments and Software Updates, it defaults to client Local Time. In my opinion, all methods should be consistent and should default to client Local Time with an option to change to UTC.

Feedback and Knowledge Base