Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Collection Query re-design request

I am looking the issue/design from SMS 2003 to SCCM 2012 version. I am not sure if any purpose must be behind of this design of collection default query select * from sms_r_system.
Whenever a user create the query based device collection, if there is any modification in the query
He/she shouldn’t remove the entire query and apply OK.
If user applies ok, its automatically select * from sms_r_system query will enabled, it will targed to all system which is “All system” as limiting collection.
It has serious issue in most the companies, deployment is performing by L1 or L2 engineers.
It is nowhere document in the MS TechNet or in Blog.
I would strongly recommend to have some kind of mechanism to avoid this kind of changes in upcoming released.
You can reach me on email : kannancs@hotmail.com if you need any clarification.

129 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Kannan.CS shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kannan.CS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi DJ, yes, that correct. If they click OK, in empty query dialog box, it will returns as select * from sms_r_system by default.

• Anoop C Nair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi DJ ! - I'll let kannan to explain this in detail. However, I just created a short video (No audio :) ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSmiQA53CUw about the device and user collection query behaviors. May be this will help you to understand better. For device collection there is a warning message I would say that is good start (I really don't know that serves the purpose or not) . I liked the warning message and that will help the L1 or L2 to get some hint of what they are going to do. But there is no such warning message for user collections.

KR
    Anoop

• Craig Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could this idea be expanded so that the default query is for the "Limited Collection" rather than All Systems?

• Rob Marsiglia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kannan, I see what you mean. As a test I edited an existing collection's query. While editing the query i removed the existing query statement and clicked OK without entering in any query information. The default query then became "Select * from SMS_R_System". If there was anything already deployed to the collection, it would spread outside of the intended scope of the initial query.

If approved, this requested change would prevent unintended deployments due to user error.

Feedback and Knowledge Base