Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

Generate a master log file of all client log files.

There is a lot of very detailed information in the individual component client logs files, But with all that detail in so many logs, it can be difficult to tell what the client is doing at any given time. I would like to see a master log of all the high level client activity and timestamps.
12:00 hardware inventory started
12:02 hardware inventory complete
12:05 policy download
12:08 software inventory started
etc...
It would help narrow down the number of logs to examine and the timeframes to look at.

41 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael Honeycutt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Noted  · 

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I secondary this.
        Not only text logs but WinEvent logs should be implemented.
        This is needed for automation and orchestration.
        Triggering schedules using WMI method isn't enough - I need to ensure that the cycle was completed successfully.

• Jason Sandys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be clear, not every little line from all of the client logs needs to added, just the "major" events as outlined in the original post.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

no, I agree with a master log file - this will benefit MSFT CSS Support Teams for scouring through multiple logs.

• Amy Ahlberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need a central log with abbreviated items in addition to all of the detailed logs for more in depth troubleshooting for our level 1 and level 2 support areas. Our level 3 ticket volume is out of control as tickets cannot be closed at level 1 and level 2 due to the complexity of troubleshooting deployments. We have approx. 260 support staff in level 1 and level 2. Training them to read these logs hasn't worked.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should see what the log file looks like for Linux machines with the CM agent installed. Yes we are the only company I have ever heard of using the CM agent on Linux in an enterprise environment. Everything is in one file, and its a mess. Now its not condensed and high level, but we would love to have separate log files for Linux, or at least less noise in the one we have.

• Will commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use CMTrace to open all the relevant log files and select the 'merge' option..

Feedback and Knowledge Base