Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

configuration manager returned a large number of results - UI request

This is really a pet peeve but bear with me. When I want to search Devices within Assets and Compliance section of the Admin console, a message appears that says "Configuration manager returned a large number of results. You can narrow your results by using search. Or, click here to view a maximum of 100000 results." The functionality of this is great, however the placement of it is EXACTLY where the search box was right before it appeared. More times than not, I'll try to click in the search box and end up clicking on this message instead and the console will slow down a LOT while loading up to 100000 objects into the GUI.

It would be great if this dialog/button/whatever it's called could appear somewhere else in the window instead of where I'm almost always about to click anyway.

Thank you.

33 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Cristopher shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Cristopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Because this UVI has been marked as completed I don't think it will get any further attention.

I suggest sending a feedback frown via the console and hope that whoever receives it understands what you're trying to accomplish.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't actually fixed in 1902. Instead of putting the banner below the search box, you've just made the banner include an equally sized blank space below it.

To make sure everyone understands the problem:
    1. Navigate to Assets and Compliance
    2. Select either Users or Devices (requires more than 1000 results)
    --Take note of where the search box is immediately after navigating to this page--
    3. Try to click on the search box only for it to jump away and be replaced by the -now extra tall- large number of results banner

To fix this issue you need to either:
    Move the warning banner BELOW the search box. The search box should not move around! (option1.png)
    OR
    Fit the banner in somewhere that doesn't require resizing. Such as to the right of the Devices/Users count. (option2.png)

• Tom Farwig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad I am not the only one who hates this behavior. This can easily be fixed by making that notification appear below the search field instead of above it. Getting close to 3 years now.

• Cristopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel like the way I worded the request is a little difficult to understand, thereby earning less votes than this probably deserves. The team that looks over these items likely prioritizes things by number of votes so who knows if the UI behavior will ever get changed. I gave up after waiting the first year and only getting 4 votes.

• Bryan Murphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How does this only have 13 votes? I have thought this was terrible UI design from the moment I opened the users/devices pane and got (and accidentally clicked on) the "a lot of results" banner. Put the search bar on top and put the message banner below it -- a simple reverse of what's currently being done, why has this not been done yet?

• Jared commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I heard about this site at Ignite and I came here specifically to post this exact feedback. Only seeing 4 votes about this is surprising. I mistakenly click on this all the time when I'm zipping around the console. It's never a good idea to completely relocate a search box on someone when a page loads!

This is me when I click on it: http://i.imgur.com/cMTfV0l.png

• Roth, Chase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh my goodness, I do this all the time as well. If you're fast enough you get in the search box before it moves, otherwise you hit to expand and show all results when you just wanted to search for one machine.

Feedback and Knowledge Base