Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

PXE Boot menu with selection of additional images (e.g. MDOP DaRT)

There is a buisiness need to be able to select a different bootimage as the one linked to a task sequence. This can be used for administrative tasks of a client such as booting MDOP DaRT over the network. Implement the ability to define which bootimages can be selected at a TFTP boot. (Of cause, OSD is only possible with the image linked to the task sequence)

20 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Noted  ·  sangeev responded  · 

Updated by bobmn for sangeev/OSD

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ryan Breneman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to see this as well. I would like to have a separate boot image where I have some custom tweaks like ConfigMgr OSD FrontEnd, but I still want to keep my default boot image that works. Would love to be able to have an option to choose the boot image at PXE boot time.

Also love the idea to add MDOP DaRT as a possible boot option

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see this as well, in our WDS days it was so handy to have a DaRT imagine imported to pick if necessary otherwise auto boot to the default. We were able to come up with a work around with our SCCM boot disk but its dependent on being able to use F8 which is a security risk. There are other ways to get around it as well but to have a WDS style list would greatly simplify it.

• Derek Badge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Workaround I'm toying with is to leave PXE unconfigured in SCCM and use plain ole WDS for PXE instead.... Unfortunately that creates a lot more work on my end as it is a manual process....

• Gregg Cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be an option in the first place. You should be able to select from any boot image you please.

The problems I am having due to devices picking up the incorrect boot image from PXE is ridiculous, when it would be eliminated if you could select a boot image.

Try having 32bit hardware and 64bit UEFI hardware. Devices constantly picking up wrong architecture.

32bit hardware needs the 32bit Boot, where the 64bit UEFI needs the 64bit boot. But constantly receive the opposite due to how SCCM handles PXE. MDT and WDS perform this far far better.

Feedback and Knowledge Base