Microsoft

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice - Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve Single Primary Configuration Manager Update Process

When upgrading SCCM to the latest current branch, it takes an extra 40 minutes unnecessarily for the SMSREPLICATIONCONFIGURATION_MONITOR component to install that is not used\installed and then does not install.

If you run a Primary Site with a Single database the SMSREPLICATIONCONFIGURATION_MONITOR is not used.

The cmupdate,log file shows for 40 minutes:

Failed to open registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\COMPONENTS\SMSEXECUTIVE\Threads\SMSREPLICATIONCONFIGURATIONMONITOR (0), sleeping for 60

Failed to open registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\COMPONENTS\SMSEXECUTIVE\Threads\SMSREPLICATIONCONFIGURATIONMONITOR (0), sleeping for 60

and then after 40 mins:

WaitForRegistryNotification timed out trying to register registry notification SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\COMPONENTS\SMSEXECUTIVE\Threads\SMSREPLICATIONā€¦

92 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    16 comments  ·  Setup and Server Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Stop applications reopen automatically after an update is applied by SCCM

Reopening after restarting Windows...

After the computer receives Windows Update via SCCM, the computer restarts normally and after the user redo Logon, it automatically reopens the software, such as Paint, Calculator, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, etc.

52 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. Change co-existence behavior between ConfigMgr and 3rd Party MDM

Recent changes in co-management support on CB 1902 when using 3rd party MDM providers limits SCCM functionality that was previously available.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/comanage/coexistence

Configuration Manager are deactivated in this case:

• Resource access policies for VPN, Wi-Fi, email, and certificate settings

• Application management, including legacy packages

• Software update scanning and installation

• Endpoint protection, the Windows Defender suite of antimalware protection features

• Compliance policy for conditional access

• Device configuration

• Office Click-to-Run management

Features such has application management should still function in the co-management scenario at the administrators discretion.

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Co-Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  4. SMSDPMon.log Size

Currently can't find a way to customize log size. Tried updating HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS\DP\Logging\@Global without success. Logs are 500KB by default and can't find a way to adjust them. It would be nice if it was at least 2.5MB by default or even better, customizable.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    by design  ·  5 comments  ·  Troubleshooting & Support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow power management policy to be applied to Virtual Machines

I'm not sure what the reason is that ConfigMgr can't apply power to VM's but I have a use case. If there is a hard stop reason CM can't control power settings then at minimum can we cause the log files to have a clear indication that it cannot apply PM settings to a VM. Currently the log is ominous and non descriptive when attempting to apply PM settings.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Power Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  6. Not an idea, but an issue - VHD

After upgrading to 1802, I don't have Virtual Hard Disks under Task Sequences any longer. How do I recover?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  7. DeleteDuplicateSystemDiscoveryData, DeleteAgedConsoleConnectionData missing...

These task appear in console but are absent from [Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.Cmdlets.HS.Commands.MaintenanceTask] so cannot be set by psh.
    If I counted right, this is also the case for 9 others (total 11).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

The MaintenanceTask parameter has been deprecated and we have no plans to update it to reflect newly added maintenance tasks.

In 1610, changes were made to accept the output from Get-CMSiteMaintenanceTask or to provide a task name using -Name instead.

See https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/15107541-get-cmsitemaintenancetask-pipeline-to-set-cmsitema and https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/sccm/1610_release_notes?view=sccm-ps for more details.

If we’ve misunderstood the issue, please let us know.

8. Add-CMScriptDeploymentType fails if both -ProductCode and -AddDetectionClause are specified

We recently upgraded from ConfigMgr 1706 to 1806. I'm finding that when running the Add-CMScriptDeploymentType cmdlet, it fails with an AmbiguousParameterSet when both ProductCode and AddDetectionClause are specified (the application I'm adding needs both an MSI product code and a registry key detection). This wasn't happening before and appears to be a bug, as the parameter set I'm trying to use specifies the ProductCode as mandatory with the AddDetectionClause as optional (the parameter set I'm trying to use has ProductCode, DeploymentTypeName, InstallCommand and InputObject as the only mandatory parameters, according to the help).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

In 1802, we fixed some issues around being able to specify invalid combinations of parameters for new deployment types. This may have changed the behavior you were relying on before.

You can work around this by using New-CMDetectionClauseWindowsInstaller to create a product code detection clause along with a registry detection clause. This should align with the UI workflow as well.

If this is not working as expected, please let us know and file a bug by sending us a frown through the console.

9. In-console updates should recognize when replication is not an option

When running an in-console update, SCCM goes through a series of attempts to replicate content even when replication is not enabled. This adds about 30 minutes to the pre-requisite check and then again for the actual update. The updater should recognize that replication is OFF and skip this step, or put in a switch that allows us to disable the attempts.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup and Server Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

This seems familiar and if this is what it looks like to me, this is more a case of unclear logging than an actual issue. What I believe is happening here is that there is actually other work happening in other components during this ~30-60 minute period that gives the appearance of some sort of lock waiting for replication to occur. (You should see a lot of work happening in sitecomp.log as an example.)

If this is a misunderstanding of the issue, please attach a screenshot or log file demonstrating what you’re seeing so we can better understand what’s being reported.

Thank you!

10. Superseedance chain break SCCM TS.

Due to superseedance when old applications are retired they can inadvertantly break the SCCM TS.

As the applications are not a part of the actual OSD they are not required.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Content  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  11. No UI is displayed when using /NOUSERINPUT /SCRIPT for Setup

Hello,

I try to install SCCM silently with UI progression but I can't see progression. SCCM installation is OK.
    My command line :
    start-process -filepath "setup.exe" -ArgumentList "/NOUSERINPUT /SCRIPT configFile.ini" -wait

NOUSERINPUT should show UI progression but it doesn't seem to work.
    I opened topic on Q&A but no answer yet.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/234939/powershell-sccm-installation-site.html?childToView=237391#answer-237391

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Setup and Server Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  12. Issue with the Set-CMMsiDeplymentType cmdlet to update source content location

Having a issue with the Set-CMMsiDeplymentType cmdlet. Trying to update the source location for the install and uninstall only, however I get an error about the MSI file extension.

PS PRI:> Set-CMMsiDeploymentType -ApplicationName $App.LocalizedDisplayName -DeploymentTypeName $DeploymentTypeName.LocalizedDisplayName -ContentLocation $DirectoryPath[0] -UninstallContentLocation $DirectoryPath[1]
    Set-CMMsiDeploymentType : Unexpected file extension specified. Must be one of: .msi
    At line:1 char:1
    + Set-CMMsiDeploymentType -ApplicationName $App.LocalizedDisplayName -D ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (Microsoft.Confi...mentTypeCommand:SetMsiDeploymentTypeCommand) [Set-CMMsiDeploymentType], In

validOperationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ContentValidationError,Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.Cmdlets.AppMan.Commands.SetMsiDeploymentTypeCommand

Set-CMMsiDeploymentType : Validation of input parameters failed. Cannot continue.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Set-CMMsiDeploymentType -ApplicationName $App.LocalizedDisplayName -D ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (Microsoft.Confi...mentTypeCommand:SetMsiDeploymentTypeCommand) [Set-CMMsiDeploymentType],
    ā€¦
    0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base