Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Include the Right Click tools kit as part of the Console, not as a seperate download addon

Include the Right Click tools adon as part of the Console install, not as a seperate download addon

671 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      19 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Install and Shutdown / Install and reboot with Software Updates

In Windows client, after receiving software updates from the SUP, I want you to be able to use the" install and reboot / shutdown and update" botton.

701 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        started  ·  12 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • SCCM Report - Easy way to create Report & Dashboard

Not really easy to create some SCCM report or Dashboard if your're not a SQL DBA .. even with Report Builder.
        Could be awesome to have a new tool where Reports or Dashbaord could be created easily whithout searching which SQL views I need ..ect ... Like some others concurrent application give.

471 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          26 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Fix the Software Update Task Sequence (built-in TS patching during OSD)

How is this still a problem? Ask any MVP and they all agree: the built-in task sequence for patching during OSD doesn't work. It doesn't survive double reboots, it has a upper patch limit before it crashes ... it's basically garbage. I don't mind making golden images in MDT, but I shouldn't _have_ to ... and yet I do. I makes SCCM feel less like a singular solution.

1,121 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            32 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m updating the status. For 1606 we’ve made some changes, listed below.
            As more are added we’ll update what Tech Preview/Release they appear in.

Timeout scan is now configurable
            We added a new task sequence variable to allow a configurable timeout for scan. Variable name is SMSTSSoftwareUpdateScanTimeout, default is 30 minutes. Value is set in seconds so an hour is 60×60=3600

Logging changes
            In the SMSTS.log we list the log files to check for updates download and evaluation.
            These are UpdateDeployment.log, UpdatesHandler.log, WUAHandler.log and WindowsUpdate.log

New Option for full scan
            There’s a new checkbox added to the Install Updates step – ‘Evaluate software updates from cached scan results’
            If the checkbox is on we use cached results, if the checkbox is off we do a full scan
            Task Sequences that are upgraded will have this option checked on – this is parity with the existing behavior

Power management changes…

• Improved automation and extensibility by exposing Configuration Manager functionality through a REST web API

Exposing Configuration Manager functionality through RESTful web API's would open up a whole new world for interacting with ConfigMgr.
            E.g. a web Admin console and easier integration with Service Management Automation (SMA).
            It should also be easier for 3rd party vendors to create new web based solutions for say an self-service portal or a Windows App for tracking an OS or application deployment on a mobile device or phone.
            Personally I would really like any easier way to interact with ConfigMgr. when running in Windows PE (OS Deployment) or a web portal for non-admins to provision new or existing machine…

71 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              4 comments  ·  SDK and Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Using express installation files

Integration of the express installation files from WSUS
              I think this is becoming mandatory with the size of updates of Windows 10.

679 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                started  ·  20 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Implement native cluster aware patching within SCCM to support cluster aware updating

Implement native cluster aware patching with SCCM to support cluster aware updating.

325 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  9 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Option to pre-download content to client cache for 'Available' deployments

As we know, 'Required' deployments download content to client cache as soon as possible assuming content is available and req's are met. A common scenario is setting a deadline off in the future which essentially stages or pre-downloads the content to the client cache so it's available as soon as the user hits install, or the deadline is reached.

We'd like an option, per deployment, to pre-download content in a similar fashion for 'Available' deployments.

Understood that available deployments may never get executed, but there are several scenarios (poorly connected, remote offices w/no DP) where this would be extremely desirable.…

186 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    10 comments  ·  Content  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Invoke-CMDeploymentSummarization

the Invoke-CMDeploymentSummarization should have an option to pass the software name as paramenter. the only option would be using deploymentid, but to get the deploymentid we need use get-cmdeployment, but this does not help if you want to run the summarization before running the cmdlet. having -collection -softwarename would be a great addition

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      started  ·  0 comments  ·  Powershell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Filter for Datetime "between" for Support Center Logfile Viewer

I would be great to have a between Filter for Datetime in the Support Center Logfile Viewer.
                      Like this:
                      Include: 2017-03-08 11:00:12.323 <->2017-03-09 09:00:12.323

2 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Allow Boundary Group and Distribution Point Group Nesting

Allow boundary groups to contain other boundary groups (and distribution point groups to contain distribution point groups) so that a services hierarchy can be created and managed much more easily. As an example, below are a Boundary and DP hierarchy setup:
                        Boundary hierarchy:
                        Site_Boundary_Group - Contains Primary Site Server as an available site system, so it is available to whole site
                        Regional_Boundary_Group_A - Contains an MP for the A region
                        Regional_Boundary_Group_B - Contains an MP for the B region
                        Local_Boundary_Group_1 - Contains a local DP for location 1, part of Region A
                        Local_Boundary_Group_2 - Contains a local DP for location…

2 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Content  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Set a default or preferred boot image for PXE

Have an option to set a specific boot image for PXE. In an environment where there are multiple boot images, when a device PXE boots it will first download whichever boot image (that is PXE capable) associated with the most recently deployed task sequence. It would be nice to have an easier way to just set a default or preferred boot image for PXE instead.

35 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m moving status to started.

In the 1610 release of SCCM, we now use the boot WIM that exactly matches the client architecture. If there is none, we use that one that is compatible with the client architecture.

Please test that out and if the changes do not address your ask please let us know. I’ll then set to completed at the end of this release cycle

• Request for intelligent MP, SMP and SUP selection based on network location, like current DP selection

This is a DCR requesting that we improve the logic around MP, SMP and SUP selection by clients. Currently, we gather AD Site and IP Subnet details for DPs, store that in DPInfo and include that information in the XML body returned on content lookup requests. Why can we not do this for other server roles so that the client can choose the best server to connect to based on matching AD Site and/or IP Subnet? This would provide a far better solution than having to populate AllowedMPs, too.

49 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              6 comments  ·  Setup and Server Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • SCCM Gateway Servers for Deployment to DMZ's

We should be able to deploy SCCM Gateway servers for deployment to DMZ, Internet and Remote locations where opening ports to the management servers / domains are not feasible. We are unable to forward ports from the internet to our LAN and must use a DMZ. There is no way to implement SCCM for IBCM because of this.

58 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                4 comments  ·  Setup and Server Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Display PackageID when viewing a task sequence step referencing content

Sometimes when making changes to a task sequence, you may be manipulating steps that reference a package with a common name. You can view the TS Package Reference but it doesn't tell you exactly which step may reference that package.

If you could view the package ID referenced by a step, when viewing that step, this would solve the problem!

7 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Updating status to Started – this is now available in our 1701 Tech Preview.

See:
                                  https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2017/01/20/update-1701-for-configuration-manager-technical-preview-branch-available-now/

Documentation:
                                  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/get-started/capabilities-in-technical-preview-1701

We now prepend the package ID in the Task Sequence Editor UI. The Install Application step is updated too, the step now shows the object ID. Please note only static references are shown, we cannot show Dynamic Package IDs as they are evaluated at run time.

• Support installation of packages/apps via dynamic variables in Standalone Media

At the moment standalone media deployments only work when the content is referenced directly by the task sequence. There are some actions like installing apps/packages using dynamic variables which do not work.

The pre-staged media wizard was changed with SCCM 2012 SP1 so that you can add additional pre-staged content. I would like to see a similar approach where you can add additional content to standalone media and then this is checked first when the dynamic install action runs. There is already a process for adding the variables to the media, the only part that is missing is the ability…

18 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    3 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Updating status to Started. We’ve added functionality in 1701 Tech Preview Previously to allow selection of any package/app, not just content referenced by selected Task Sequence.

Details here:
                                    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2017/01/20/update-1701-for-configuration-manager-technical-preview-branch-available-now/

Documentation here:
                                    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/get-started/capabilities-in-technical-preview-1701

RE: Mark Thomas – thank you we’d certainly be interested in talking to you about your solution. The changes above are a first step and all feedback is appreciated.

• Please improve accessibility of SCCM for blind system administrators.

SCCM 2005 was very accessible to system administrators who are blind. However, Versions after this from 2008 on are not usable. This has resulted in any system administrator who is blind who requires access to SCCM to perform his or her duties to find alternative responsibilities. Up to 2013 I happily worked as a system administrator. I loved this part of the IT industry. However, because so much of my job revolved around using SCCM I had no choice but to leave and refocus my efferts somewhere else. I ask Microsoft to redouble your committment to accessibility to include improving…

123 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      6 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • 3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        started  ·  0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Increase Log file size and retention for OSD

Client logs for OSD are constantly purged and overwritten. This can make troubleshooting difficult in a standard environment. For example, logs are saved to X:\Windows\Temp during winPE phases. This file system is destroyed upon reboot. Even after the WinPE phases, log files (especially smsts.log) are constantly overwritten.
                                        Please prevent logs from being lost or overwritten during OSD.

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          started  ·  sangeevsangeev responded

We made changes in 1511 and previous release to maintain the settings in smsts.ini for the duration of the task sequence.

Updated by bobmn for sangeev/OSD

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base