Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix the Software Update Task Sequence (built-in TS patching during OSD)

How is this still a problem? Ask any MVP and they all agree: the built-in task sequence for patching during OSD doesn't work. It doesn't survive double reboots, it has a upper patch limit before it crashes ... it's basically garbage. I don't mind making golden images in MDT, but I shouldn't _have_ to ... and yet I do. I makes SCCM feel less like a singular solution.

1,366 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      45 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m updating the status. For 1606 we’ve made some changes, listed below.
      As more are added we’ll update what Tech Preview/Release they appear in.

Timeout scan is now configurable
      We added a new task sequence variable to allow a configurable timeout for scan. Variable name is SMSTSSoftwareUpdateScanTimeout, default is 30 minutes. Value is set in seconds so an hour is 60×60=3600

Logging changes
      In the SMSTS.log we list the log files to check for updates download and evaluation.
      These are UpdateDeployment.log, UpdatesHandler.log, WUAHandler.log and WindowsUpdate.log

New Option for full scan
      There’s a new checkbox added to the Install Updates step – ‘Evaluate software updates from cached scan results’
      If the checkbox is on we use cached results, if the checkbox is off we do a full scan
      Task Sequences that are upgraded will have this option checked on – this is parity with the existing behavior

Power management changes…

• Daisy chain Task Sequences (OSD and non-OSD)

I would like to see the ability to launch one task sequence from within another task sequence. For some processes, you run the same steps across multiple deployments. Today, you have to duplicate these steps across many task sequences. The ability to execute a task sequence from a task sequence would alleviate this need and reduce errors and inconsistencies for administrators.

1,211 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        38 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Updating status to started. The ability to call another task sequence from a task sequence is added in 1704 Tech Preview – see here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/get-started/capabilities-in-technical-preview-1704 for more details

Please note this is an early release and there’s some limitations. We wanted to show you all our work in progress and gather some feedback such as nesting depth.
        Currently a task sequence with any package references in child steps won’t resolve content when run in the full OS – we’ve a ton of work to do with policy to solve that. Good news is that the scenario will work when launched from WinPE (PXE/Media). Also, nesting will work in the full OS for any steps that don’t require content e.g. Run Command Line, Set Task Sequence Variable (variables are global to all steps!), Connect to UNC etc.
        Import/Export doesn’t traverse all child task sequences
        We block selecting the parent…

• Include the Right Click tools kit as part of the Console, not as a seperate download addon

Include the Right Click tools adon as part of the Console install, not as a seperate download addon

1,038 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          23 comments  ·  Troubleshooting & Support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Install and Shutdown / Install and reboot with Software Updates

In Windows client, after receiving software updates from the SUP, I want you to be able to use the" install and reboot / shutdown and update" botton.

778 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            started  ·  14 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • SCCM Report - Easy way to create Report & Dashboard

Not really easy to create some SCCM report or Dashboard if your're not a SQL DBA .. even with Report Builder.
            Could be awesome to have a new tool where Reports or Dashbaord could be created easily whithout searching which SQL views I need ..ect ... Like some others concurrent application give.

638 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              31 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Implement native cluster aware patching within SCCM to support cluster aware updating

Implement native cluster aware patching with SCCM to support cluster aware updating.

401 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                13 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Site Server High Availability or Clustering

Configuration Manager is becoming more mission critical every day. The ability to Cluster the Site Server role (Inboxes & SMS Provider) is more and more important as that is the single point of failure for a Primary Site.

If the Site Server role goes down the Primary Site is down no matter how many Management Points or SMS Provider etc. exist.

If we could Cluster the Site Server or at least have 2 systems share that role for High Availability then this would no longer be an issue.

Even though we can designate multiple SMS Providers, if the site system…

389 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  11 comments  ·  Setup and Server Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Software Center (1602) icons are blurry

In the new Software Center the icons in the catalog are blurry. I have attempted to upload new ICO's with better quality, but the results remain the same. Please consider resolving the quality issue and/or allowing larger icon resolutions above 250x250. The new Software Center is nice, but only if we make it that way with professional icons.

213 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    15 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Ability to move Distribution point from one secondary site server to another secondary site server

when we need to remove secondary site server or when need to rebuild secondary site server with another site code. A full uninstall and re install required for all Distribution points associated with that secondary site.
                    Also when we need to move a DP from one site code to another site code, it requires uninstall / re install....to avoid this it will be helpful to have ability to move DP's between secondaries.

thanks

114 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      5 comments  ·  Content  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Improved automation and extensibility by exposing Configuration Manager functionality through a REST web API

Exposing Configuration Manager functionality through RESTful web API's would open up a whole new world for interacting with ConfigMgr.
                      E.g. a web Admin console and easier integration with Service Management Automation (SMA).
                      It should also be easier for 3rd party vendors to create new web based solutions for say an self-service portal or a Windows App for tracking an OS or application deployment on a mobile device or phone.
                      Personally I would really like any easier way to interact with ConfigMgr. when running in Windows PE (OS Deployment) or a web portal for non-admins to provision new or existing machine…

72 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        5 comments  ·  SDK and Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Support V3 and newer certificate templates for HTTPS mode

Hi,

PKI- Make V3 Template compatible with SCCM Current Branch.

67 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          15 comments  ·  Setup and Server Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • PowerShell cmdlets for editing task sequences

Being able to edit task sequences with PowerShell would make managing task sequences much easier. Some possible new cmdlets could include:

Add-CMTaskSequenceStep
                          Get-CMTaskSequenceStep
                          Remove-CMTaskSequenceStep
                          Set-CMTaskSequenceStep

Add-CMTaskSequenceGroup
                          Get-CMTaskSequenceGroup
                          Remove-CMTaskSequenceGroup
                          Set-CMTaskSequenceGroup

57 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            9 comments  ·  Powershell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Set a default or preferred boot image for PXE

Have an option to set a specific boot image for PXE. In an environment where there are multiple boot images, when a device PXE boots it will first download whichever boot image (that is PXE capable) associated with the most recently deployed task sequence. It would be nice to have an easier way to just set a default or preferred boot image for PXE instead.

42 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              4 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m moving status to started.

In the 1610 release of SCCM, we now use the boot WIM that exactly matches the client architecture. If there is none, we use that one that is compatible with the client architecture.

Please test that out and if the changes do not address your ask please let us know. I’ll then set to completed at the end of this release cycle

• Set Maximum Run Time on Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 > 10 minutes

Cumulative Updates for Windows Server 2016 sync with a maximum run time of 10 minutes every month. The same cumulative update for Windows 10 1607 is set to 60 minutes.

Could you set the Server 2016 to 60 minutes instead of 10? This update never completes in less that 30 or 45 minutes.

34 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                started  ·  7 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Icons and cosmetics for applications

During the Create Application Wizard on Application Catalog step there is possibility to add some beautiful icon. BUT! The icon (*.ico) size is limited to 250x250. Could you make it possible to add an icon file with picture size at least 256x256 (which is quite common size for pictures in *.ico files)? Another thing as well, the icons in SCCM Applications/Packages list (Software Library-Overview-Application Management-Applications). They look all the same! Could you make them more attractive, say, the way they look in Application Catalog? Otherwise, whats the point in Icon column (which appears, by the way, as a default columns…

19 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  2 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Support installation of packages/apps via dynamic variables in Standalone Media

At the moment standalone media deployments only work when the content is referenced directly by the task sequence. There are some actions like installing apps/packages using dynamic variables which do not work.

The pre-staged media wizard was changed with SCCM 2012 SP1 so that you can add additional pre-staged content. I would like to see a similar approach where you can add additional content to standalone media and then this is checked first when the dynamic install action runs. There is already a process for adding the variables to the media, the only part that is missing is the ability…

14 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    3 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Updating status to Started. We’ve added functionality in 1701 Tech Preview Previously to allow selection of any package/app, not just content referenced by selected Task Sequence.

Details here:
                                    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2017/01/20/update-1701-for-configuration-manager-technical-preview-branch-available-now/

Documentation here:
                                    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/get-started/capabilities-in-technical-preview-1701

RE: Mark Thomas – thank you we’d certainly be interested in talking to you about your solution. The changes above are a first step and all feedback is appreciated.

• 1706 removed cut and paste from machine name on lower have of device display, restore this please

1706 removed the copy and paste of the machine (in bold) in the lower part of the screen, was real handy to have that, please restore, please see attached file for more detailed.

7 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      4 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Allow parameters to "Run Script"

When using the "Run Script" against a collection allow the script to accept parameters.

4 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        3 comments  ·  Powershell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Allow right click ad-hoc Powershell execution directly from the console

Allow the import of powershell scripts into ConfigMgr, then allow administrators to right click on devices and collections to immediately execute them and get results. Do this without requiring changes to ports or firewalls, and ideally over the internet through CMG.

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          5 comments  ·  Troubleshooting & Support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Filter for Datetime "between" for Support Center Logfile Viewer

I would be great to have a between Filter for Datetime in the Support Center Logfile Viewer.
                                          Like this:
                                          Include: 2017-03-08 11:00:12.323 <->2017-03-09 09:00:12.323

2 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base