Microsoft

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ConfigurationManager PowerShell module should register itself as an Env Variable

Today, when you install the CM Console, the PowerShell module will be placed under the %CMInstallDirectory%\AdminConsole\Bin\ConfigurationManager.psd1

This makes sense given where the user is choosing to install the console, and that's fine. But placing it here off the beaten path means that it is not importable using PowerShell's module autodiscovery features. For instance, if a module is found in any of the standard user or system paths (or registered under the $ENV:PsModulePath) the user can easily import the module without having to specify the full path, a big user quality of life win. This is the way that SQL Serverā€¦

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    Noted  ·  3 comments  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. 86 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Applications with interactive deployment methods in a task sequence

In SCCM 2007 we utilized package with multiple programs. One install program that was silent to be used in a task sequence. One with interaction (appdeploy toolkit e.g.) for distribution to existing PCs. Once we moved to application we created multiple deployment methods with the appropiate filters. However if one of the deployment methods does contain the 'allow interact' option the application can not be added to a task sequence even though there are deployment methods that would apply to a OSD situation were it would pick the non-interactive one. Would like to see a logic check in the taskā€¦

84 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
    Noted  ·  sangeev responded

Updated by bobmn for sangeev/OSD

4. Available application which is not applicable must not show up in Software Center

[This is sort of an extension to https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/13002684-software-center-show-only-available-software-hid?]

Obviously, we can create applications with multiple deployment types in SCCM, each with its own set of requirements. Now say I create a simple MSI-based application with one deployment type, which has a requirement that Primary device must be true. If I make this available to a user collection, then it shows up for each of those users on their primary devices as available in Software Center. All great so far.

However, if one of those users logs in to a non-primary device, the application still shows up as available, andā€¦

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  3 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  5. Task Sequence deployment option of "While no user is logged on"

Give us the option to restrict a required Task Sequence to "When no user is logged on" This would be particularly helpful when using Task Sequences to push out Application updates. That way if the TS tries to run while a user is logged on it won't fail as soon as it hits the applications which are set to "When no user is logged on"

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  6. OS Deployment completion screen

Sometimes a task sequence can fail without the technican noticing the reboot countdown, so they just see a login screen and assume everything is okay. How about a "OS Deployment Failed/Succeeded" splash screen at completion? MDT (UDI) has a completion screen, although it doesn't show on error. Still - something like that.

80 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

7. Allow user to select 'automatically restart' when applying all required changes.

When the user received the 'Software changes must be applied to your computer' there are two radio options:
    'Apply all required changes now (recommended)'
    'Apply all required changes outside my business hours'

There is also an checkbox that say 'Restart my computer automatically if needed'. However, this checkbox is disabled when the first radio option is selected. I would ask that it remains enabled for both options. We are trying to train users to take an active role in installing updates according to their own schedule. The reboot process has become a large portion of the update process. So ifā€¦

80 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  8. Fix 'CI Version Info Timed Out' error

My applications are successfully installing on client devices however the Console is showing an error for the deployment in the monitoring section. The only description of the error is 'CI Version Info Timed Out'. I have tried all the workarounds found online.
    - Deleting and recreating a package to reset the revision number
    - Deleting deployment and recreating deployment
    - Updating collection and redistributing content

Nothing works permanently the errors come right back

78 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  10 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  9. 76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

10. ConfigMgr SUM installs should update the date of last install in Windows Update control panel applet

When you only use ConfigMgr to install updates, the date on the Windows Update control panel applet often reflects something that is really inaccurate as ConfigMgr doesn't update it. This often leads to a very negative reaction of "I thought those darn ConfigMgr admins were updating our workstations and servers!?!" And then we have to explain that we are, but that date doesn't get changed.

Can we please just ensure that when Software Update Management installs any updates, the Windows Update control panel applet gets set to the current date?

I stole the screenshots from this thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b33dd5b2-64b3-476d-8fc5-232cbafced47/sccm-updates-are-installed-but-windows-update-status-wrong?forum=ConfigMgrCompliance

And Iā€¦

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow option for GPO processing during Task Sequence

Right now GPO processing is disabled during TS execution. This is annoying as quite often there's settings and environment configuration for a machine pushed by GPO, and right now they only apply at the end of the TS.

It would be nice to have an explicit "process group policy" step in a TS, which would be the equivalent of a "gpupdate /force".

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  12. Warning message for high-impact collection changes

When I started working with SCCM years ago I was told that you're not really an SCCM admin until you accidently deployed MS Office to the whole company. Through my years of working with SCCM I've seen many people update a collection not knowing that there was a mandatory deployment attached which resulted in the deployment getting sent to systems that were not intended.
    I would like to see a check/notification box added when a query based collection is updated that reminds you of the required deployments attached. This message will only show if an unexpired required advertisement is stillā€¦

73 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  13. Install applications before users can press ctrl+alt+delete to login.

Add feature to deploy applications before users are allowed to logon at the ctrl+alt+delete screen. This would be a nice alternative to having to check for running processes before installing applications and would not interrupt users in their work.

72 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  2 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  14. Create a node in the console with favorite action

It's possible to create a new node in the console with favorite actions.

Example:
    Favorite\Frequent Action 1 (Device collection)
    Favorite\Frequent Action 2 (Monitoring content)
    Favorite\Frequent Action 3 (Application Deployment)

If you want to add any action in the console to favorite Node, just right click on the action and select add to favorite actions...

In this wau

72 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  6 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  15. Better Reporting for installed software

Software normalization built into SCCM reporting. An integrated solution to manage software inventory, software intelligence and license management. As a SCCM administrator it has been difficult to provide accurate reporting on installed software packages without purchasing third party normalization tools like BDNA or SNOW. Software normalization capabilities would be a great addition to SCCM.
    1. Software Recognition Service that recognizes software requiring a license.
    2. Software title normalization.
    3. Ability to import all owned software licenses and then compare against what is actually installed.
    4. Ability to recognize when software has been removed or upgraded. Example: if Office 2010 hasā€¦

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  8 comments  ·  Asset Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  16. Show icon set for an application in admin console

Applications can have a custom icon set for them. Applications listed in the SCCM Admin Console have an "icon", but it's the same generic one for every application. Would love to see the icon I set in admin console next to each app for easy identification.

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  2 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  17. Remote Control features and improvments

I would like to thank Microsoft to allow their customers to share new and innovative ideas and I would like to present mine from my experience as Desktop Management Engineer in my company.
    Initially we were using a comparative tool called LANDesk Management Suite and on the beginning of this year we have moved to SCCM 1511, since then I had received many complains about remote control comparing to the past experience.
    I really like SCCM as a whole and I think it is really good tool and really nice features and constant updates, but not the remote control.
    Iā€¦

67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Remote Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  18. OSD Task Sequence Restart Computer step needs "if reboot pending" option

Please add to the Restart Computer OSD task sequence step an option that will check if the system requires a reboot and then only restart the computer if it needs to. Right now to work around this need, we have to execute a PowerShell script and write the results to a custom task sequence variable and then use that variable as a condition on the Restart Computer step. Adding this option natively would be much more elegant. Attached is the script we're using.

67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  19. More accurate registry Compliance Settings

When creating the Configuration Item (Create Configuration Item Wizard, Settings step) and choosing Registry setting type for the Create Setting window, there are some bizarre registry types mentioned in Data type drop-down box: String, Integer, Date and Time, Floating Point, Version and String Array. Most of these data types are all REGSZ type. But where is REGMULTISZ? REGEXPANDSZ? REGDWORD? REGQWORD? REGBINARY?
    There is also possibility to set/check compliance for those registry settings with script, but why the Registry Configuration Item in first place?
    These actual registry data types need to be implementedā€¦

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  12 comments  ·  Compliance Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  20. Application Task Sequence

For complex software deployments, we regularly use Task Sequences to sequence reboots and installation orders, as well as containing logic on the various steps to only run when certain conditions are met. This allows for much more complex and flexible deployments.

The problem is, if a reboot step is initiated, no Task Sequence progress is displayed to the user to let them know that installations are taking place behind the scenes. To them, the reboot occurs and then they return to the CTRL+AT+DEL screen.

It would be great if a new class of Task Sequence could be created that wouldā€¦

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  6 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base