Microsoft

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice - Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Upgrade Operating System Built-in Step: Add Option to Keep Files Only

Customer does not have the store installed and using the built-in TS step keeps files and apps. I know that the "OSDSetupAdditionalUpgradeOptions" variable can be used, but it would be nice to have the option on the built-in TS step.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    2 comments  ·  Operating system deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Thanks for responding.

We cannot provide a different migration options for the reasons I outlined below. Anything other than ‘Applications, Data and Settings’ will leave the machine unmanaged – while we developed the new upgrade step we tested them all.

I’ll see if I can source steps for reinstalling the Store without having to complete a restore.

2. Import/Export Cmdlet Parameter aliases

Could we please have a common alias for the file path parameters in the various import/export cmdlets?

For example, currently we have:
    1. Export-CMBaseline uses -Path to set output path, and
    2. Export-CMTaskSequence uses -ExportFilePath.

Then we have:
    1. Import-CMBaseline using -FileName to determine location of exported files
    2. Import-CMApplication using -FilePath,
    3. Import-CMTasksequence using -Path.

A common alias like "Path" or "FilePath" for all these parameters will be very handy in reducing complexity of scripts calling your Cmdlets.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SDK, PowerShell, and tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. Build Task Sequences under the Applications folder and be able to advertise, filter and add icons

Build Task Sequences under the Applications folder and be able to advertise, filter and add icons.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating system deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Updating status to noted.

Thanks for your feedback. We have added a Task Sequence deployment type which should address your ask.

The opt-in phase of our 2002 release (fast ring) is now live and contains the changes for task sequence as a deployment type.

You can opt-in and then download 2002 through their Admin Console now.
    Blog: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/configuration-manager-blog/update-2002-for-microsoft-endpoint-configuration-manager-current/ba-p/1272670
    Docs: https://docs.microsoft.com/configmgr/core/plan-design/changes/whats-new-in-version-2002
    Support Information: https://aka.ms/cmcssreleaseinfo

Try it out and let us know your feedback.
    Same additions are also in recent Technical Preview releases.

4. AD computer object description

Setting the AD computer object description should be allowed inside a task sequence during the domain join operation.
    Whether or not this is on the dialog box, is not important to me. I'd be happy setting a TS variable (ie. OSDComputerObjectDescription)

Alternatively, we could use a PowerShell script using different credentials (which Task Sequences also do not allow). Similar to the way
    the "Run Command Line" allows the input of credentials.

Right now we have to use a kludgy "Run Command Line" using credentials and run
    a batch file that calls something like: PowerShell.exe -executionpolicy Bypass -command pscommandhere
    or: PowerShell.exeā€¦

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating system deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  5. Do something with Operating System tab

When deploying a custom task sequence that only contains applications and no operating system it confuses our users.

Suggest to rename Operating System tab with something else like Package Bundles. Or (after you add icon support for task sequences) have custom task sequences in the Applications tab instead of Operating Systems.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Updating status to noted. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/configmgr/core/understand/find-help#send-a-suggestion for an explnation of each value.

Our 2002 release is now in the opt-in phase. We have added a task sequence deployment type which allow icon customization.

You can opt-in and then download 2002 through their Admin Console now.
    Blog: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/configuration-manager-blog/update-2002-for-microsoft-endpoint-configuration-manager-current/ba-p/1272670
    Docs: https://docs.microsoft.com/configmgr/core/plan-design/changes/whats-new-in-version-2002
    Support Information: https://aka.ms/cmcssreleaseinfo

Custom task sequences will always appear in the applications tab unless the steps indicate that it is an OS Deployment task sequence e.g. has a boot image reference and restart to WinPE step or a Upgrade OS step.

Try out task sequence as deployment type and let us know your feedback and if your ask is addressed with that new feature.

6. Save/Remove-CMSoftwareUpdate without content distribution

Would be really nice to have option to choose wheter to distribute content or not while using Save/Remove-CMSoftwareUpdate cmdlets.

When we use this is normally within our clean-up scripts and almost never need immediate content update.

As a result our distribution queues lose threads to unnecessary package processing.

I appreciate the support!

Have a nice one!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  2 comments  ·  SDK, PowerShell, and tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  7. Add "Last Distribution Point" to Asset Columns

Add "Last Distribution Point" to the options for columns in the Assets list.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Variable with Full OU path

Take the OU path from 'Network Settings" and turn it into a variable e.g. _SMSMachineOUpath
    I use dynamic variables to determine the OU based on location and device so my Domain OU path has OU=%devicetype%,OU=Location,OU=workstations,DC=Contoso,DC.com
    so it would be nice to have the actual value in a variable that I can reference later say in a script to move existing object to the above created OU. I can see the full path in the SMSTS.log, but not in a variable. Also removing the LDAP:\ from the start could be handy in some situations I guess.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Operating system deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Hi Marty,

Vlad ask to pass this on:

He can try at the beginning of TS to add steps to set variables that I listed in my reply to the same strings that he entered in the UI of Network Settings step? Which will result in Network Settings step take the values from these global variables (not from UI, even though they may be the same). But it will also have a side effect that these variables will be available during task sequence for whatever he wants to user them for.

I’ll have a bit of time at the weekend. I’ve a couple of ideas about removing the LDPA:\\ you mentioned. Can you describe the scenario you want to address, please?

Thanks

9. Show Client Version in HELP-ABOUT from ConfigMgr console

While working with boot images, I need to click UPDATE DISTRIBUTION POINTS and see if the client within the boot image is the same as the client on the site server. It would be nice if I can see the current (latest) ConfigMgr agent shown in HELP-ABOUT from ConfigMgr console as a all-in-one screen so I would spare some time checking and updating the boot images

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Client deployment and discovery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Updating status to noted.

Thanks for your feedback.

Not sure what I’m missing here…
    The ‘About Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager’ shows ‘Site version:5.0.9012.1000’ – that’s an example from our 2006 release. The same is shown in the Boot Images view, the Client version column.

The update Distribution Points wizard shows the current ADK version, the current production client version and in the table below the reload option we show the OS version of the boot image and the version of the client binaries.

Could you let me what I’m missing? The information present in the wizard covers everything you’d need to know – in my opinion anyway.

Thanks

10. Tool to find out what cause SCCM Client installation/Communication failure on Workstations

In our environment SCCM Server installs client on discovered resource but they failed to install due to machine specific issue, could you prepare a tool which we can give it to floor support technician to run on machine which have SCCM Client issue or Installation failure, the tool should check for all prerequisites for client install also firewall issues like (WMI and File and Print sharing not allowed ) it should the issue with which it becomes easy to fix the underlying problem and get the sccm client successfully deployed

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  11. Integrate the Desktop Analytics Logs Collector

When you need to troubleshoot desktop analytics you can use DesktopAnalyticsLogsCollector.ps1 but then you have collect the log files or have remote access to the clients.

Can you integrate the Desktop Analytics Logs Collector into the Client Diagnostics work being taken as part of TP 1912).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Desktop Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  12. Warn when deployed application hasn't been uploaded to distributed points

Suggestion: If you try to install an application that hasn't been distributed, the software center indicates "installing" with a spinning blue wheel. This unnecessarily trips up people new to SCCM and can make for a frustrating end user experience.

Can the Management Console warn when you're trying to deploy an app that's not distributed?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  0 comments  ·  Application management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  13. Resource Explorer

Can Resource Explorer be updated to include the device name of the object you are looking at in the title bar.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. A where used tab for Operating Systems

Can we have a where used tab in Operating System images and upgrades?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. More incremental collection information be shown in console (version 2010+)

Starting with ConfigMgr 2010 the functions of the CEviewer are being moved into the console. One thing that the old tool was useful for was quickly showing how many incremental collections were in in an environment and what their total runtime was. Since there are performance limits to incremental evaluation it would be helpful to show inexperienced admins that they might be running into trouble by having too many or poorly performing collections set this way. I suggest that functionality be added either to the user/device collections view to show if incremental is set or not for a collection andā€¦

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Content management and monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  16. OneTrace log viewer: Monospaced fon like Courier New or Consola

All the free "tail" tools use a monospaced font like Courier New or Consola. It is mandatory from my point of view to display correctly "tabulated" info.
    At the same time, an option should prevent removing leading spaces (same reason: get columns that look like columns)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SDK, PowerShell, and tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  17. Remote connection ability in Support Center One Trace

Please include the functionality of Remote Connection in One Trace,
    In Enterprise support, most situations are that you need to read log files from remote clients.
    I understand that it can be a workload on the WAN link, but that is up to the admin's to decide in their own environment.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  SDK, PowerShell, and tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  18. Support Center Log File Viewer - manage columns

Hello,

it seems its not possible to manage the columns. For example I don't need to see the column called "file name". This is possible in CMTrace.

Thanks.

MK

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  SDK, PowerShell, and tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  19. Hover over help, define and examples.

In sections like Detection rule when using different operators like between, one of, none of. Provide formatting examples on hover for single and multiple entries.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  0 comments  ·  Application management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  20. Linked Reports from within other reports - folder reference

Microsoft reports that have other reports linked, donā€™t work anymore with our modified folder structure. So we applied changes to those MS reports. In this case we didnā€™t create our own report but modified the MS reports. -> links should be added like this: ..\subfolder\reportname, not using the complete hardcoded folder structure. That way ā€“ since the linked reports are always in the same folder or in the subfolder like in the default structure ā€“ all links will work no matter in which folder the report actually sits.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin experience and community hub  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base