Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the 🙂 button in the top right corner and choose “Send a Frown”. For more details, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Microsoft Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow deployments using application model to be installed from DP rather than downloaded to ccmcache folder

I have to create several very large (10GB and up) software deployments each year and install them for two thirds of the user base. Preferred method of delivery is install directly from the DP rather than download the installation files to C:\windows\ccmcache. It would be nice to do this using the application model so I can make use of the extended feature set it provides over the package model. I have to work around the limitations using convoluted wrapper scripts to get everything working properly.

192 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Noted  ·  19 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Windows 10 Servicing Customization

It would be great to be able to customize the Windows 10 image or allow a "clean up script" to run post install. I like the concept of the Windows 10 Servicing part of the SCCM console. I think it will become important as upgrades start rolling out 1-2 times a year and majority of companies have Windows 10 clients that need servicing. Being able to create Servicing plans will help keep IT on top of the upgrade process through different updates.

The current model just doesn't work for a lot of companies. Not many places allow games such as…

186 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. add possibility to logoff user for Software Installation and prevent login during installation.

It would be great to have a possibility to create a deployment where the User would be logged off during the installation of Software. Useful for Software like Java Runtime or Adobe Pro where a running application can prevent the installation.
    The User should be informed that an installation will be started and he will be logged off. The User should be not able to login during the installation.

183 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  9 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow uninstall of applications with dependencies

When you deploy an application with dependencies, you loose the option to uninstall it from software center. It would be nice to be able to uninstall the main app and be able to choose if the dependencies would uninstall or not.

178 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  15 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. When remote controling, be able to see client side mouse move

When we remote control a client , the client can see the mouse pointer, but when the client want to show us someting, we cant see mouse cursor.

162 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Remote Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Improve automatic SQL configuration, tuning, and maintenance of the SCCM DB & SQL Server

Current architecture around SCCM’s management of SQL configuration and maintenance is old and hard to use. It requires a lot of manual oversight, and manual SQL tasks. And the default SQL settings created by SCCM are non-optimal. SQL is a powerful beast. Rethink ways SCCM can use it better, and keep it more optimally tuned and configured. Rethink how to run maintenance and backup tasks without downtime or impact to the production sites and deployments (this especially becomes more important with features like Conditional Access, that can never really have downtime.)

152 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  5 comments  ·  Setup and Server Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Trigger Hardware Inventory after Operating System Upgrade Task Sequence Completes

An OS Upgrade Task Sequence results in many significant changes to a system's Inventory and compliance states. The OS Upgrade TS should trigger a full hardware inventory after completion

151 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Remote Control: Improve Multi-Monitor Experience

Business Case (I know how you PMs love these):
    The current CB 1902 implementation is going to make this conversation part of our helpdesk script:
    “What screen is the app on?”
    “Can you move that window to the monitor where X is showing?”
    “No, not that one.”
    “Nope, still don’t’ see it”
    “Ok let me reconnect in full screen, please accept the prompt again.”
    “No no no, don’t hang up the phone, that’s not how this works.”
    “Ok, you should see a prompt to allow me to connect.”
    “Nope it’s there, trust me.”
    “Got it, thanks. Ok, let me move…

145 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Remote Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. SCCM client ScriptExecutionTimeout

Please make the SCCM client's ScriptExecutionTimeout attribute a parameter that can be configured within Client Settings policy. This would be the best way to help address the "In-line script execution time-out... DiscoverApp failed (0x87d00321)

141 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  3 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Use SQL Backup with Compression for the backup task

With CM 1511, SMS Backup task enabled by default. And that does a volume shadow copy of the DB which means full-sized files. For my tiny lab that means I'm backing up 8 GB alone.

For production it'll mean 850GB per primary site. Under CM12 when we backup just SQL using compression, it's just 160GB per primary site.

Please allow an option to just invoke a database backup instead so that compression can be used and I don't need to go order terabytes of data just for backups.

Also the current backup just erases the last backup. But in a…

126 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Setup and Server Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Show live distribution status within the console

Show the live status of content copying to distribution points (status bar) in the Admin console, Essentially the existing DP Job queue Manager

126 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  0 comments  ·  Content  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Better Driver and Driver Package Management

Driver Management within the console is unacceptably slow (still). We manage 60+ unique Models across Windows 7 all the way up through Windows 10. As a result there are a LOT of drivers to maintain and manage. With SCCM 2007, we had the ability to at least break these down in folders. With sccm 2012 you removed the ability to import directly to a folder. The trade-off was "categories" however, it is still incredibly slow to search for drivers.

In addition, with SCCM 2007, we could just fill a folder with inf's and create a driver package from that without…

121 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  8 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Mark easy way to query Driver Versions of all drivers on a system.

Please make an easy way to query Driver Versions of all drivers on a system from SCCM Hardware inventory without creating a custom MOF or looking at registry files? I found a forum thread on TechNet a few years old that said Microsoft said that using WMI class win32_pnpsigneddriver was unreliable and is why it was not available in SCCM hardware inventory and they were considering removing the class entirely. However the class remains in win 10 and is still the only way to query driver version using a script. It would be really useful to be able to have…

120 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Noted  ·  sangeev responded

Updated by bobmn for sangeev/OSD

14. Have updates automatically handle MP replicas

It's a real pain to have to tear down and rebuild the MP replicas every time I want to install a servicing update. It would be great to have the update process automatically save the replica state, point the MPs at the primary DB, tear down the MP replicas, do the update and then put it all back.

120 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Setup and Server Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow admins to change the default in Software Deployment from “UTC” to “Client Local"

It would be extremely helpful if administrators could change the default “Time based on:” option used in Software Deployment from “UTC” to “Client Local Time”. This setting is highly subjective and only companies that are based in multiple time zones AND want software to deploy simultaneously across all time zones want UTC as the default. Forcing the UTC default upon all customers needlessly increases the chance of human error. Allowing administrators to change the default would satisfy all customer’s needs rather than just those that leverage UTC.

113 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Pre distribute content to clients before deadline.

I work in a quite big Environment, 30k clients and my network team isn’t that happy when we pull the trigger to update our critical LOB apps due to the fact that every computer downloads the content almost at the same time. That puts a lot of pressure on the network infrastructure.
    There for it would be great to be able to preload the clients with content for applications in a slow and steady way before the deadline falls for the application.

108 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  4 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Temporarily suspend any SCCM client activity

Many of our users (300000) need a feature to temporarily suspend any SCCM activity at least for a limited time per day.
    Activities that need to be suspended are:
    - Downloads
    - Installs
    - Reboots

Business cases:
    Customers Skype sessions often get disturbed while a download is running in the background. We thought the setting "Suspend Software Center activities when in PowerPoint presentation mode" would help but from what our user reports it doesn't.

Another scenario are users working on metered connections, e.g. as they are provided by Deutsche Bahn. Users working on such a connection quickly use up their…

106 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  9 comments  ·  Client Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Software Center: Add Ability to Launch the Application

Would like to have the ability for the end user to not just install an available deployment, but also launch it there. The way I envision this happening is once the user has installed an available deployment, the "Install" button would change to a "Launch" button, and the Uninstall button would be perhaps a separate button, etc., or perhaps even the icon of the application could be used to launch it and the Install/Uninstall behavior could remain the same.

The benefit of this would be (1) if you removed the start menu or other entry points to the application and…

104 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  9 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Chat feature in Remote Control

It would be nice to have a chat feature within the remote control client. This way I can chat with my users when they are using the computer and I need them to complete a task after I am remoted in.

104 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Remote Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. User friendly progress tracking when distributing content to distribution points.

User friendly progress tracking when distributing content to distribution points. At the moment when asked how long it will take to have content available one needs to track the logs and guess a time frame. If it would be possible to have a progress tracker i.e. speed at which the content is copying, queue tracking, and eta.

102 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  7 comments  ·  Content  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base