Microsoft

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice - Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Need to have a dashboard or report to see when passcodes/PIN expiration are.

Frequently, IOS users will not see the notification of when their Passcode/PIN will expire. I need to be able to view a dashboard or run a report of upcoming expirations in Endpoint Manager.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    0 comments  ·  Cloud services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Status message

It would be usefull to allow the creation of StatusMessages for any event.
    This could be tuned in DefaultClientSettings (just as hinv classes), but setting it only thru PSH would be a first step.

For example, when a user requests an app:

new-CMStatusMessageDefinition -class "SMS_UserApplicationRequest" -event "CreateRequest" -messageid 33333 -strings ($ciid,$username,$devicename,$usercomment...)

Best regards

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SDK, PowerShell, and tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

This is a complicated problem, and not one we plan to address at this time. There are some solutions today with varied levels of usability.

We do have a special status message class on the client designed for some extensibility: SMS_UnknownMessage. You can specify custom values for this and have it get processed by the management point. The management point has a list of status message types it accepts, and we have no mechanism for extending this at this time. You can also have a component that writes custom status messages directly to the site server inbox. You could theoretically write whatever you want here, but you need to take care to ensure that this is properly secured and monitored since you need to be a trusted user to write to the status inbox.

Keep in mind that even if you do get custom status messages processed by the site,ā€¦

3. Software Center using White color is broken.

Change is needed in Software Center, when selecting White as color background the font color stays white as well so unable to see. It should change to black.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow pause software distribution

There should be a way to pause or stop package distributions (not deployment). Sometimes a large package will inadvertently be distributed to distribution points during the day or overnight (very large package) and clogs the pipeline. Having the ability to pause or stop or reschedule those distributions would be helpful - especially when an e-fix needs to be distributed quickly but can't be distributed due to traffic.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin experience and community hub  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

We should already have several tools in place to control content distributions.

• You can set schedules for a distribution point to prevent or limit when data can be sent. You can also set rate limits.
    • You can cancel a content distribution that’s in progress
    • You can put a distribution point into maintenance mode which will cancel any in progress distributions and block future distributions until it’s taken out of maintenance mode

Let us know if none of these work for your scenario.

5. state messages own component thread

State Messages today share SMSExec thread with Status messages. State messages are a lower priority. Even though State messages process super fast, we have been in the issue where we have 300,00 status message backlog and and 3.4 million state message back log. Only way to get the state messages to process first is to move all the status messages from the inbox, allow state messages to process and then slowly add the status messages back in as ConfigMan can not handle large amount of files in those inboxes.

So we are looking to allow State Messages, it own threadā€¦

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin experience and community hub  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

State messages are processed by the SMS_STATE_SYSTEM component, and status messages are processed by the SMS_STATUS_MANAGER component. Both use independent threads and inboxes, and should operate independently. A state message backlog should not be causing delays for status message processing unless there’s a SQL bottleneck or unknown product issue.

I’d recommend working with support to better understand what’s happening here.

6. License

I am interesting on this product, but it is difficult to understand about Product License. especially Microsoft Endpoint Configuration manager, i am looking for this license price. i found from your website such as: microsofts.com, but i tried to understand license methods such as: if i buy this product license. how much is it? and How long is it for the product after i paid this license. please clarify for me about this product.
    i would like to install this product with nutranix or vmware. please advise "Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager"

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Endpoint Protection  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  7. Console GPU Usage

I have noticed through task manager that the Configuration Manager Console uses a fair amount of GPU. For my particular laptop, it is about 20% of the 3D engine on my GPU.

If I could toggle a power saving feature for the console, which would reduce the GPU usage in some way, it would help increase the length of battery power on my laptop.

Thank you for your consideration.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The console is built upon the Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) framework. By default, this framework will use GPU hardware acceleration and rendering when it can. (More details at: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/wpf/advanced/optimizing-performance-taking-advantage-of-hardware)

We shouldn’t be doing a lot in the way of computationally heavy graphical operations in the console, but there may be room for optimizations in some UI areas.

If you see any specific areas that seem to be harder on the GPU please send us a frown from that specific UI area so we can look into it.

8. Build uservoice into the configuration manager console to browse and vote on from

Build uservoice into the configuration manager console to browse and vote on from

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin experience and community hub  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  9. Add Linux patching

Please add linux patching from SCCM console this will make bigger impact to patch linux OS.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow multiple languages to be corrected at the same time

I have been using Word for years to write essays, presentations, etc; and as far as I'm aware, it does not seem to be possible to add multiple languages as the spelling-checker. I find myself, and just like probably many other people, to be writing stuff like taking notes, in two languages sometimes, and everytime I must select the text and put the right language in the spelling checker settings, which takes me useless time and could definitely be improved. Hence, my suggestion is to add some kind of 'multiple language spelling checker' option which would allow us to writeā€¦

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  11. Bring back readyforwindows.com

Bring back readyforwindows.com. Not everyone uses CM. readyforwindows.com contained public domain knowledge that was very handy. We can even look up software versions that we may consider evaluating that are not even in our environment yet. readyforwindows.com was a valuable resource that is sorely missed. We feel like we are now flying blind without it.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  12. Add PowerShell cmdlet to update Application Catalog icons in Software Center.

Add cmdlet to update Application Catalog icons in Software Center.

We currently store icons in the root of the app content folder and manually right-click on the Application object located in \Software Library\Overview\Application Management\Applications.

Then we click the Aplication Catalog tab and click the Browse button to browse to an update icon.

This manual works, but having the ability to automate via a cmdlet automated would allow a mass update and could make it easier when transferring or integrating ConfigMgr ecosystems in the event of a merger or acquisition.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  SDK, PowerShell, and tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  13. Add ability to escape special symbols in request offerings in SCSM2016

We would like to return back the ability to include symbols like plus (+) in request offering text\list fields. In some case it is very important. E.g. we want to include time zone options (+1 hour, +3 hours etc). We would be grateful if you give us the possibility to escape "+" with special symbols, so that it will be recognized as simple text.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Application management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  14. Gary Blok should be a Microsoft MVP!

Gary Blok should be a Microsoft MVP for very obvious reasons...

https://garytown.com/

https://twitter.com/@gwblok

173 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Operating system deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  15. Add Specific Permissions for Managing 3rd Party Updates

I would like to see specific permissions for adding/managing a 3rd party software update custom catalog as well as a specific permission to "Publish third-party software update content".

In our multi-tenancy ConfigMgr environment we have lots of different organizations using the same instance and being able to limit this functionality to just the top-level administrators will prevent hundreds if not thousands of unnecessary updates from being published.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  16. CMTrace should be available outside of product installation

Need to make this available outside of the CD.Latest folder on the site server. This is used for cloud-only intune customers that don't have a site server.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. Intune customers should also be entitled to Configuration Manager which licenses them to use CMTrace in their environments. We have no plans to distribute it as a standalone download but there are options.

You can copy it from an existing Current Branch site from the cd.latest folder to other machines, or you can get it from the Configuration Manager 2012 R2 Toolkit at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50012.

We can and do make improvements to CMTrace in CB releases, so my recommendation is to get it from the cd.latest folder but if you are in an environment where there is no Configuration Manager at all, you can use the version from the R2 toolkit.

17. Support using OSDDownloadContent.exe outside of Download Package Content TS step

A number of organizations are using OSDDownloadContent.exe outside of Download Package Content TS Step to download dynamic driver content (made popular by http://www.scconfigmgr.com/modern-driver-management/). In this scenario, driver package version information is missing in the TS environment during TS runtime (i.e. SMSTSSourceVersion%PackageID% TS variables are not set). When an Alternate Content Provider is called using SMSTSDownloadProgram to download content, the ACP is unable to determine which version of the package needs to be downloaded and can result in download failure or downloading the incorrect version of a driver.

Ideally, OSDDownloadContent.exe would be able to retrieve the current version and updateā€¦

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Operating system deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  18. Configuration Client Setting - Turn off Application Website Point

Since SCCM CB 1806 itĀ“s possible to use Software deployment to user without Application Catalog Website Point.

In an CAS environment it should be possible to turn off this setting otherwise if one primary server has installed this role, this setting will be setup to AUTOMATICALLY or you can select the server with the role installed.

This is a problem if you use it in different location with different setup, to turn off brings up more flexibility.

In my case i must now wait that other regions will remove this role.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  19. Make client CIM methods work over WinRM

Currently using Invoke-CimMethod will fail on remote clients unless you use a CimSession with a CimSessionOption specifying the DCOM protocol.

The server side classes work great with CIM cmdlets, it'd be great if there were parity there with the client classes, especially since PowerShell 6.0 doesn't include the WMI cmdlets that people will gravitate toward to use DCOM.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SDK, PowerShell, and tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  20. WPF Support in WinPE

A lot of folks are building WPF apps and frontends that are used at the start of OSD. The most recent PE has stopped supporting this all together. I'm not sure if this is the correct user voice, but the ability to whip up an app to run in PE makes OSD a lot more flexible. It'd be excellent to have it back and to have it be a bit more robust.

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Operating system deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base