Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, seeĀ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Microsoft Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. GUI Option for Offline OS Image Servicing Drive

When applying updates to a .wim file via offline image servicing the image and update files are copied to the C:\ drive of the site server. The only way to change this behavior from using the C:\ drive to something else is with the following method:

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2013/07/15/customizing-offline-servicing-of-operating-system-images/

This is not ideal, and apparently dangerous as one commentor on that page states they may have broken their SCCM environment for not following the instructions exactly.

It would be better to have a simple GUI-based option to change this setting, or a least a registry key.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve and speed up adding or removal processes of direct members to collections, optimize handling in backend

We need a quick way to quickly populate or empty collections. Targets should be imported as rules without triggering other processes in the background (eval/re-built). The same also applies to removal rules.

Please implement something like an cmdlet ā€œAdd-CollectionMemberRulesā€ / ā€œRemove-CollectionMemberRulesā€ with fast adding rules method, without delays, without rebuilding the complete collection sets in the background. The cmdlet should support especially adding rules like "DirectMembers".

Note:
    This will help to control and steer application (ramp-up / ramp-down) rollouts, depending on device target lists, created by internal IT or delivered by business partner. The lists could based on different informationā€¦

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. Distribute Task Sequence content to cloud distribution point

In TP1802, new feature allow Windows 10 in-place upgrade task sequence via cloud management gateway, which is very good feature, so please allow distribute Task Sequence content to cloud distribution point. In this moment, clould distribution point is not in the list when try to distribute Task sequence contents.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  4. Task Sequence Missing package error message include Package ID

When a package is missing on a distribution point for a task sequence, the error message used to include the package ID, so we knew which package to deploy. That is now missing in the latest build. Now it's a guessing game on what's missing. Return the Package ID so that troubleshooting gets easier, not prettier.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

No further response so closing for 1802

Explanation of behavior:

If you select a task sequence which has a missing reference the Deploy option is inactive (grayed out) ā€“ thatā€™s done to prevent deployment when all required content is not available.

The task sequences view also has the References tab which shows the distribution status of all statically referenced packages

Editing the task sequence with a missing reference will pop a dialog listing any missing references

If you launch via PXE any missing references are listed ā€“ the package Id or App Scope are shown with the message to validate content and use the retry to refresh policy.

5. Office 365 required updates in 1710 Should Not Force Applications to Close

Please do not force applications closed when applying office 365 updates. We have had to suspend the deployment of office 365 updates due to user impact until we can work this out. This same topic was marked as complete in the feedback section but it is still happening with SCCM 1710 and KBKB4057517 Installed.
    reference:
    https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/32048548-office-365-required-updates-in-1706-should-not-for

Also I have not seen any user presented countdowns when the deadline approaches. Thanks.

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  7 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  6. CM TP 1801 crashes when setting new offset schedule

*** If CM is installed on a server OS, why do you tell us to go to a client OS (on another machine) to use the ridiculous feedback hub for bugs??***

I created a brand new ADR in TP 1801 and when I changed the schedule from custom to monthly, the error in the attached file appears.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  7. In Windows PE booting from Iso "Configure network settings" greyed out

When we are deploying a OS over a SCCM Boot Media Iso there is a possibility to define a IP, Gateway, Subnet ... If there is a tipping error the TS will fail and we have the possibility to push the previous button. In this Case the "Configure network settings" button is greyed out. Would be great if we could modify this settings

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  8. Inject files/commands in boot image properties page.

I do some customisations (remote control, scripts for support, bginfo) to our boot.wim files by copying files while it's mounted and doing an Update distribution points. It would be nice to be able to inject files to certain folders (like Windows\system32) in the property page of the boot image in a separate tab. Also include command to execute these custom scripts in winpeshl.ini just before TsBootShell.exe

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Marking completed for 1802

X:\sms\pkg\sms00001 is the path the files/content from the ā€˜Prestart source directoryā€™ is added too.

The doc link ā€“ docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/osd/get-start..
    has this entry
    When you boot to WinPE from a customized boot image that includes tools that you added, you can open a command prompt from WinPE and type the file name of the tool to run it. The location of these tools are automatically added to the path variable. The command prompt can only be added if the Enable command support (testing only) setting is selected on the Customization tab in the boot image properties.

9. Add a Copy-CMTaskSequence cmdlet

With the console you can create a copy of a task sequence, but there does not appear to be a direct way of doing this via powershell. This would make staging image changes much easier.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  10. Don't Set CCMClient to Provisioning mode if running Compat /SCANONLY option

Currently, anytime you run the upgrade OS step, it set the client into provisioning mode, despite the options you're choosing. Could this be changed, that if you pick "Compatibility scan without upgrade" it would NOT put the client into provisioning mode.

I've had users reboot the computer when the scan was running (silently in the background), and then the client was in provisioning mode.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Updating Status to completed. This was addressed in our 1806 release – thanks for the suggestion and feedback

General Blog: https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2018/07/31/update-1806-for-configuration-manager-current-branch-is-now-available/

Docs: https://docs.microsoft.com/sccm/core/plan-design/changes/whats-new-in-version-1806

As this item is now closed weā€™ll likely miss any new comments, to report issues see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help

re: Gary Blok
    Which version of SCCM are you using? We have multiple checks to reset ProvisioningMode to false in event of Rollback.
    Would you be ok with contact to gather logs from one of the rollback and some other info.?

11. Create Office 365 Client Installer from Dashboard crashes console in 1710 / gdiplus.dll

As described in Social Technet Forum the console crashes in SCCM 1710 when trying to create an Office 365 Installer when typing anything in the UNC Path.

See eventlog:
    Faulting application name: Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.exe, version: 5.1710.1010.1000, time stamp: 0x59f7248f
    Faulting module name: gdiplus.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17055, time stamp: 0x53292632
    Exception code: 0xc00000fd
    Fault offset: 0x0003383a
    Faulting process id: 0x778
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3892fc2359de8
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminConsole\bin\Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.1.9600.17056_none_dadc5d1c5bc8ab48\gdiplus.dll
    Report Id: 0e7661db-f523-11e7-80ca-00505689324d
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

I have SCCM version 1710
    The console version is 5.00.8577.1100
    And the site version isā€¦

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow prevent autoload of CM psdrive

Rather than have to invoke PowerShell via the ConfigMgr console, I prefer to just load the module into my existing session/console.
    The issue is that on load, the module auto-creates a PSDrvie with the CMSite provider using my current credentials.
    This is an issue because my "normal" account has pretty limited rights in ConfigMgr (by design), and I'd prefer to "connect" to ConfigMgr via PowerShell using my "admin" account.

I'm thinking the least impactful way to do it would be for the module to honor an environment or pssessionpreference for "NoAutoCreatePSDrive" or the like (rather like the AD module) andā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

This work has been completed for 1710.

Docs are in the process of being published.

Do disable auto-load of the PSDrive, create the following registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ConfigMgr10\PowerShell

Create a DWORD value called DisableCMDriveAutoCreate and set to 1 to disable auto-creation or 0 for default behavior. Deleting this registry value also restores default behavior.

Note that by disabling CMDrive auto-creation, the PowerShell window created from the admin console will write errors and will not be useable until you manually load the ConfigurationManager.psd1 module.

We are planning an additional change into 1802 where will write a warning to the console when importing the ConfigurationManager.psd1 module if this setting is enabled for additional awareness.

13. clouduserid not displayed correctly

Clouduserid in console is displayed with Chinese characters instead of the string from database

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  14. Co-Management for a Dedicated Collection

It would be nice to use Co-Management not for all Win10 1709 devices but only for a dedicated set represented in ConfigMgr as a collection. It would be easier for big customers to start testing.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  15. Bug in -Location parameter for Save-CMSoftwareUpdate

The -Location parameter for Save-CMSoftwareUpdate doesn't work. It always returns an InvalidArgumentException with the following message:

WARNING: File path '<file path>' does not appear to be a valid local or UNC path. Must be in the format of C:\myfile.ext or \\myserver\share\myfile.ext

Tried using local and UNC paths both in elevated and non-elevated PowerShell, both 32 and 64 bit instances.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  16. New-CMDetectionClauseWindowsInstaller Missing Braces in Product Code

When an MSI detection rule is created with New-CMDetectionClauseWindowsInstaller, and applied to a Deployment Type with Set-CMScriptDeploymentType, the product code in the detection rule is missing the braces. This causes the detection rule to fail to detect an application that is actually installed. The application is successfully detected after adding the surrounding braces to the product code in the SCCM console.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  17. Last Action Task Sequence Variable

It would be great for error catching if there was a variable that held the last task sequence step. This would be good for logic in a task sequence group that continues on error and passes the last task sequence ran name to be handled by other steps.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Fix Install Applications step support with OSD standalone media

During standalone media deployments the CM1706 client attempts to contact a MP when executing the Install Applications step and fails. Please fix this, as this capability worked, though limited, in ConfigMgr 2012 R2

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  19. Add a "1024MB" option for WinPE Scratch Space

When I run DISM to add a language pack, I'm told that the recommended scratch space for WinPE is >1024MB. In ConfigMgr, I can only select up to 512MB for WinPE scratch space in my Boot Image. Could we add an option for 1024MB?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Fix the memory leak when editing Task Sequences

I consistently run into issues with TS's when making changes to them. Upon closing the TS or applying changes I will receive an error that says "There are too many steps in your TS...". But if I close the console and reopen it, I am able to make the exact changes and they will save fine. The problem usually happens towards the end of the day so I believe it is a memory leak of some kind. I started seeing the issue in 1610 and figured it would go away with new versions. Just updated to 1710 and the issueā€¦

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base