Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Synchronize additional tables with the Data Warehouse Service point

In the 1612 technical preview, the Data Warehouse Service point was introduced, and at that time it included the ability to specify additional tables for synchronization. This capability is outlined in the release notes (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/get-started/capabilities-in-technical-preview-1612).

The latest release of ConfigMgr (1710 as of this posting) does not include this capability.

Re-introducing this capability would expand the use cases for the Data Warehouse Service point. Many customers have custom hardware inventory classes that are not included by default with the existing feature. There are also native tables, such as task sequence execution status, that would be helpful for trend…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Setup and Server Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Improved Auditing to Status Message when modifiying Status Message Filter Rules

Currently when disabling/modifying the Auditing Status Message filter rules such as "Write audit messages to the site database and specify the period after which the user can delete the messages.", a very generic message is posted to the Status Message log which is the exact same message for any change to any of the Status Message Filter Rules.

It would be more useful, especially "Audit" related filter rule changes, that the specific filter rule changed is specified in the status message, and a not just a generic message.

This will help better in monitoring a auditing hole where, in theory,…

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Setup and Server Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • After upgrade to 1710, database replication status has unknown status icon

Hi Team,

Today I have identified with three different customers with 1710 upgrade has some unknown icon status in database replication monitored item tab for Parent site and Child site.

Can you look into the issue.

5 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • When running the "Modify site database configuration" option, do a sql server collation test

When running the "Modify site database configuration" option, do a sql server collation test to the remote SQL servers . We had the case that we overlooked the CP1_CI_AS requirements as the DB admin just configured CI_AS. When not the right Server Collation Instance , just stop the migration

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Allow Slash (/) Character in Organizational Units for Group Discovery

When Group Discovery for the whole Domain is activated and there are Organizational Units containing the Slash Character in the Name, you get "failed to bind to Container" Errors in SCCM.

As long a Slash is an allowed character in LDAP, SCCM should be able to process these OUs correctly.

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Upgrade SCCM directly to rollup version

Be able to upgrade SCCM directly to a rollup version or hotfix versions. Not everyone upgrades SCCM the moment a new version is released and by the time we have tested and are ready to upgrade there is often a rollup or hotfix available. Due to change management procedures, we are forced to upgrade to a version that has potential known issues before we can start a new change process to upgrade again to the update version. Being able to upgrade direct to the rollups would prevent installing a broken version for weeks prior to upgrading again.

7 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Add support for Disaster Recovery into SCCM

SCCM should have built-in functionality for the setup, automation and triggering of a disaster recovery solution. Typically this would involve additional servers operating at a different physical location with replication of data between the active site and the DR site. Upon a DR event, you would transfer or seize functionality at the DR site to transfer control to the DR server(s). SQL Server has multiple DR tools available (mirroring, failover clustering, transaction replication, log shipping, etc.) so there is no need to reinvent that wheel, but SCCM should give similar functionality.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • "Scale-Out" Primary Server

It would be really great if there was an easy way to decouple components that run on one large Primary Site Server and transfer them on to a number of smaller machines and be able to migrate those roles across machines quickly (similarly to how this is done in SCOM with Management Servers and Resource Pools). That would allow the following:
                  1. Simplify Maintenance - currently, every time we need to patch SCCM Primary Site Server, we need to agree upon the outage window with all the teams that rely on SCCM. If we could move the workload, we'd be…

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Auto Updates and Servicing for TP version

It would be great if there is an option just for Technical Preview version to automatically install the new TP version when available. I could grab my coffee in the morning of new release date and get a smile on face when I see a new TP version directly installed and ready for testing. :-)

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Allow unicode passwords in ConfigMgr

With Windows OS you can use unicode characters in passwords. Unfortunately, ConfigMgr doesn't support unicode passwords. If you have unicode characters in your password, ConfigMgr shows a message that password is not correct.

2 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Add Database Checking to pre-req check

It would be great if functionality were added to the pre-req check to include an option to do some of the features of the testdbupgrade option of setup. For example, adding an option to check for foreign key constraint issues or other problems that would prevent an upgrade would be a great addition and would prevent issues where the upgrade fails in the middle of the DB upgrade portion of setup.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Add Support for MSA/gMSA for Standard Roles

I would like the ability to assign managed service accounts or group managed service accounts to the standard roles for SCCM (i.e. Network Access Account, Domain Join account, Client Push account, etc.) so that those accounts can be secured without the need for knowing or managing the password.

0 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Do not allow "SMS" as Site Code Name

I found some customers which has "SMS" as name of SCCM site. This make a lot of problems with normal management. This name should also be make as do not allowed (wizard blocks also other names). And if already named, it should allow one time change.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              2 comments  ·  Setup and Server Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We do document this, and this has been the case since at least SMS 2003.

See:
                              https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/279868/reserved-site-code-names-in-sms-2003-and-configuration-manager
                              https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/servers/deploy/install/prepare-to-install-sites

I’ve also confirmed that Setup disallows you from using the several “reserved” site code names and has done so since at least 2012 SP2.

Was unattended setup used? That’s the only way I can think of that may have bypassed this validation.

• Integrate an Distribution Sender Interpreter

Please integrate an Log Interpreter for easier Log Control
                              Such as http://www.danrichings.com/?page_id=12 for Sender Log.

This makes the Life for Package Distribution and Server Control easier in an Enterprise Enviroment.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Have templates for Windows Server Roles that Site Systems use when deploying

When installing site systems like SUP I want to have specified an template for how Windows Server should be configured like IIS, WSUS Application Pool etc. in addition to installing the WinSrv Roles. This can bed slightly different from customer to customer and would make it easier for them to deploy new Site Systems with a consistency. Stability would go up and troubleshooting would be easier. Thinking about all Site System roles, not only SUP.

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Make it easier to use HTTPS DP as a pull DP source

It should be much easier to use HTTPS DP as a pull DP source. Now you need to have a special script to define HTTPS DP as source (= complicated) and pull DP needs to have a ConfigMgr client (= licensing issue). I see increasing number of customers who want to use HTTPS in all their internal IIS servers, including ConfigMgr.

12 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Allow clients under branch offices to get proxy MP information from assigned secondary site

By default (that am seeing) , clients under branch offices will not get proxy management info unless you add the boundaries of branches into boundary group with mp defined .
                                    Lets take ex: I have lot of branch offices in location that has secondary site with MP,DP,SUP (a.ak. proxy MP) .So when i create boundary group for these branch office boundaries ,i do not specific the MP info in site system tab ,because i do not want my branch office clients to download the content from sec site which is DP and also MP. In this case ,i have not…

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • DB gets into single user mode

Where certain database settings got changed on ConfigMgr database.
                                      We should have a bug to have a prereq check to give error that ConfigMgr admin to validate the database settings before upgrade.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • multisubnetfailoer

Allow Configuration Manager to support the site DB with multisubnetfailover option enabled.

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • support reporting services in an always on configuration

Support SSRS with a DB that is in an Always on AG

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base