Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Change Default Content Distribution Priority

Please create a setting (perhaps hierarchy or site) that allows an administrator to define the default content priority by content type. The current system default of Medium is not always appropriate and making this configurable could be a big help. The setting for this is already contained in WMI for most content types so creating a configurable setting in the console should be relatively trivial.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Content  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Distribution Point - Timezone schedule sync

At the moment when setting up a schedule for Distribution Points to do their syncing the timezone being used is the one from the primary site server.

when having DP's over multiple continents this brings some advanced math to get the sync done right :p

Would there be a possibility to use "Use DP local Time" as with advertisements ?
      Or maybe in the schedule tab on the DP properties have a dropdown list with for example "you are now scheduling in GMT+1" where you can select a list of timezones so it does the calculations for you.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Client Data Sources

When viewing the client data sources report, it would be nice if the items in the boundary group list box were alphabetically sorted.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Improve Content Replication

Content Replication from Site to DPs should be a frustration free Process or SCCM Admins. Unfortunately, I know no customer without smaller or bigger issues in this area.
          Here is an uncomplete list of some issues I´ve noticed:
          • Content Eval - Scheduled Task lost
          o SCCM does not check if the schedule task got lost/deleted
          o Suggested Solution: SCCM should verify the Scheduled Task on Service Startup
          • Content Eval - Hash mismatch/Eval fails for package
          o When content Eval fails for a package, the admin must manually redistribute it / take care of the error
          o There should…

126 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Content  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • update distribution point on a schedule

when we want to schedule an update for a package, if you enter a previous date than the current one (due to an error) you don't receive an advertisement message telling you that date is anterior. If you click OK, then package is update immediately!

Thank you

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Fix Distribution Point usage reporting, smsdpusage, so that it honours the preferred Management Points defined in Boundary Groups.

Currently the smsdpusage process does not honour the DPs preferred Management Points for the submission of the usage report. Instead, it appears to pick the last MP listed in the following registry location, HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS\DP\ManagementPoints. In some cases this MP may not be reachable and as a result no DP usage reports are submitted to SCCM.

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Remove Deleted Content from Client Cache

Today, when you remove an object from ConfigMgr (Package, application, etc), the content remains in the local client cache (if it was ever downloaded). In an effort to clean up that old content, I think it would be a great idea to automatically cleanup content. For example, once I delete an image from the admin console, I will never need it again on my client systems, so go ahead and delete it from any system that has it in the cache.

(I currently use TidyCache to remove 'old' cache', but would prefer that this be handled natively by ConfigMgr. https://gregramsey.net/2015/11/17/tidy-cache-clean-up-old-ccmcache/

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Apply Boundary Groups to WinPE Management Point selection

Currently it appears that when the SCCM agent in the WinPE boot image connects to a Management Point, it selects one without using the Boundary Group rules, instead selecting one from the AD published list, starting with the first alphabetically.
                  Instead this should behave like the full blown Windows SCCM Client and select a Management Point based on Boundary Groups such as IP range.
                  It is worth noting that Distribution Points are selected correctly according to Boundary Group by the WinPE client, for OSD content.

18 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Us Git as a source for Application and Packages

It would be really nice if we could use Git as a source for Application and Packages.
                    Then we would have the benefits of Git, with version-control, check in and out, who did what, and why and so on.

13 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • In Monitoring, distribution status, client data sources, need to be able to select the appropriate boundary group

In Monitoring, distribution status, client data sources, need to be able to select any boundary group. This is currently limited to 25. The greatest amount of data transfered

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Peer Cache DNS Search Suffix

Allow administrators to configure Peer Cache clients with a list of DNS Search Suffixes, or for it to reference the local machines.

Currently I'm unable to use Peer Cache because client attempt to reach fellow clients via the FQDN which for xyz reason is unreachable. If it simply followed the DNS Search Suffix list, it would be able to contact them.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • The ability to schedule content distribution

So as to minimize business impact during critical hours of the day where WAN impact can have significant outcomes. By being able to schedule when content distribution will start can greatly assist in this regard

7 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Provide the ability to refresh site server content

DP's occasionally fail to get content because it has not got to the site server. Updating or redistributing does not fix this situation. The ability to refresh site content would be helpful. See https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/312d86e3-e793-4147-97a7-7785295e4986/problem-with-stuck-distribution-points?forum=configmgrgeneral for a work around which is messy.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • When updating content, wait to remove old content

When updating content, don't automatically remove the old content on the DP's until the copy starts. Sometimes what happens is if there is a slow content transfer already taking place. The new content update waits for it to complete before it starts the transfer, so during that time the old content is not available (causing task sequences, packages, and applications that use the content to fail).

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Allow exclusions in ConfigMgr content folders

When selecting a content location it would be nice to be able to add a list of folders (and possibly files) to exclude from the content. e.g. we often include an installation wrapper script in the content that drives the installation or removal process for applications / packages it would be nice to include them in a small git repository in situ. While we can do this now ConfigMgr copies the repo as part of the content. It would be nice to be able to exclude it from content replication / delivery / caching.

17 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • LiveFlow of DP to Network

Currently there is no centralized way within ConfigMgr to determine if the expected desire of boundaries for content / site assignment works as expected. As boundaries can be configured in multiple ways (subnet, ad, range etc) and also allows to fallback between different servers - it would be good to allow insight into what clients from what networks are connecting to a DP to retrieve content. This would allow if the current design works as expected.

Information that would be useful for on-prem DP;
                                  1. Devices (COUNT?) connecting from network (initial octets/subnet-mask)
                                  2. Connectivity type: local, remote, fallback etc...
                                  3.…

11 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Totally agree. Having realtime visibility into what boundaries clients are in RIGHT NOW, and thus which DPs (and peer clients) they will use is critical. We’ve been talking about this internally for awhile. There are innovations on our roadmap in this area.

• Point and Deploy to Single Machine or small group of machines/users.

Remove the extra steps to create a collection of one or more existing machines to deploy a program or application or task sequence to.

When needing to do a small targeted and IMMEDIATE deployment the admin should be able to right click and pick what to deploy and when he hits ok an adhoc collection should automatically be created into a default folder, say call it "Adhoc Collections" which without any keystrokes, mouse clicks or mouse swipes would be created in that folder with a name starting with the date in format YearMonthDay-Hour:Minute:Second-(Package | App Name | Task sequence|)-CreatorName
                                    The…

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Enable install of Office 365 with Intune Hybrid using the Office CSP

Can you allow add the ability to deploy Office 365 using the Office configuration service provider: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/office-csp

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Move inboxes

inboxes\despoolr.box\receive
                                        Get full depending on the size of the deployments.

Being able to move this to another drive so that the isntallation drive doesn't get filled up.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Fix the issue that automatically adds UTC time in the console in local time when scheduling a deployment...

Not sure why but after this last update, whenever I deploy software SCCM automatically adds 5 hours to the local time which is the time difference from Chicago time to UTC...

4 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base