Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, seeĀ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Microsoft Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinkingā€¦)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow additional customization of the task sequence dialog

Please allow additional customization in the Task Sequence High Impact Dialog Box. Enable or Disable the Individual Comment Boxes completely, and allow Hyper Links to launch a web page with more information.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. allow export all task sequences or folder of task sequences

We have many task sequences, sorted into folders for multiple users, when it comes to archiving them, it's tedious, we'd like to archive multiple task sequences by user (or by folder), this would be great, right now you have to export one task sequence at a time which is tedious.

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable New-CMBootableMedia to use a Cloud DP (or Content enabled CMG)

This Cmdlet does not support using a cloud distribution point as the distribution point source (and neither does the GUI).

This means that in order to use this feature we have to have an on-premise DP purely for this purpose.

Regards
    Wayne

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. AD computer object description

Setting the AD computer object description should be allowed inside a task sequence during the domain join operation.
    Whether or not this is on the dialog box, is not important to me. I'd be happy setting a TS variable (ie. OSDComputerObjectDescription)

Alternatively, we could use a PowerShell script using different credentials (which Task Sequences also do not allow). Similar to the way
    the "Run Command Line" allows the input of credentials.

Right now we have to use a kludgy "Run Command Line" using credentials and run
    a batch file that calls something like: PowerShell.exe -executionpolicy Bypass -command pscommandhere
    or: PowerShell.exeā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  5. media from primary site

When creating stand-alone media, allow primary site selection

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  6. WPF Support in WinPE

A lot of folks are building WPF apps and frontends that are used at the start of OSD. The most recent PE has stopped supporting this all together. I'm not sure if this is the correct user voice, but the ability to whip up an app to run in PE makes OSD a lot more flexible. It'd be excellent to have it back and to have it be a bit more robust.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Updating status to Noted.

Thanks for the feedback, certainly understand the frustration at not being able to use WPF anymore.

I’m not really sure what to do with this item as we do not own WinPE. Also, the documentation here – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe-add-packages--optional-components-reference – calls out WPF is not supported.

There’s some more information and a workaround posted here – https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-10-AMA/WPF-Support-in-WinPE-for-ADK-1809/td-p/301520

You mentioned ‘correct user voice’ – I could not find one for WinPE. This is the Windows Server UV – https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback

Let us know if any of this information helps.

7. Boot Image Azure Powershell

Include option to inject Azure Powershell Cmdlets (including Azure Automation) into Boot Images. As many organizations are moving to the cloud, including the ability to login and run tasks in Azure is a must.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback. Updating status to noted.

This item is very similar to "Add “AD Powershell Module” as Optional Component for boot images"

We had to decline that as we cannot ship or take a dependency on the AD module. Similarly we won’t be able to take a dependency on Azure PSH module – we can only add what’s in the ADK.

Your ask covers a bit more ground with the ability to run tasks in Azure so I’ll leave as noted for now.

8. Pre-Download option on Task Sequence with <Download Package Content>: Adhere to conditions defined on the individual TS step(s).

Instead of pre-downloading all package content when pre-downloading a TS with multiple <Download Package Content> steps, make sure the client only pre-downloads the content if the condition set on the individual TS step is evaluated to be <true>.
    E.g. If Model X, I do not want to (pre-) download drivers for model Y, as this step would be skipped later-on anyway, when actually running the Upgrade TS.

PS. This extra "intelligence" would also be helpful on nested TS steps. Now the pre-download setting downloads all referenced content - for all <Download Package Content> steps - from the main TS itself,ā€¦

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Updating status to Noted.

Our 1904 Techincla preview added pre-cache (pre-download) support for OS Images and Driver Packages. SWD Packages are coming soon.

Doc: https://docs.microsoft.com/sccm/core/get-started/2019/technical-preview-1904
    Blog: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Configuration-Manager-Blog/Evaluate-Office-add-in-and-macro-readiness-in-ConfigMgr/ba-p/501758

The pre-cache intelligence is in ExecMgr and works off the package properties (language, architecture, driver model).

Reading your ask I think the pre-cache improvements address your ask. I’ll merge your idea with this item https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/32583652-task-sequence-pre-cache-for-all-packages-inside

If that doesn’t address your ask, let me know. Thanks

9. Upgrade Operating System Built-in Step: Add Option to Keep Files Only

Customer does not have the store installed and using the built-in TS step keeps files and apps. I know that the "OSDSetupAdditionalUpgradeOptions" variable can be used, but it would be nice to have the option on the built-in TS step.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Thanks for responding.

We cannot provide a different migration options for the reasons I outlined below. Anything other than ‘Applications, Data and Settings’ will leave the machine unmanaged – while we developed the new upgrade step we tested them all.

I’ll see if I can source steps for reinstalling the Store without having to complete a restore.

10. Allow Limiting the number of characters in a Collection Variable

We use collection variables when imaging a new machine, Specifically the OSDComputerName variable is used for naming the machines. Sometimes machines get named incorrectly and have too many characters. If I was able to limit the amount of characters that could be used in a Collection Variable, I could set OSDComputerName to be only 15 characters and our task sequences would not fail because the name is too long.

I would also appreciate if we could exclude special characters from being typed. Thanks!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Ability to specify the keyboard layout in the Boot Images properties

I know we can use the DISM command to set the input locale but from my point of view it should exist a field in the Boot Image properties where you could specify the layout you want.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  12. Supported Move OU step in task Sequence

A supported step to reassign a OU in a task sequence instead of having to rely on vbscripts or powershell scripts to perform this function. Seems this could be based off the network settings step easy.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add the ability to run Software Updates with a Stand-Alone Media

Please add the ability to run software updates with a stand-alone media. This would allow us to add software updates to our reference images without having to use PXE.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. DCR : Change "Pre-download content for Task Sequence" description in GUI

This is a DCR request to update the Desploy TS wizard. The option to "Pre-Download content for this task sequence" is by itself misleading. Technicians attempting to deploy a TS, select the option "Pre-Download content for this task sequence" believing all content will be downloaded. Leveraging this option with a Software TS or without an upgrade package, often results in unexpected errors.

By design this features currently only applies to the OS upgrade package and related drivers. The only place this is mentioned in the CONFIGMGR console is when the feature is enabled.
    "Pre-cache content on client for available deploymentā€¦

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Updating status to Noted. Thanks for the feedback.

The Pre-download content for this task sequence applies to all statically referenced packages OS Images, SWD, Driver Packages, OS Upgrade Packages. If pre-download is set and the task sequence references 1 OS Image, 20 Driver Packages then all 21 will pre-download to cache. Only the OS Upgrade package uses the pre-download logic – match for Language and Architecture.

We’ll likely add a ‘Learn more’ FWDLink to something like https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/osd/deploy-use/create-a-task-sequence-to-upgrade-an-operating-system rather than change the string. As we add more objects to use Pre-download conditions then we can keep the link updated.

15. OSD - Have different command-line options in the "Upgrade Operating System Task Sequence" to upgrade Windows 10

Make the Upgrade Step more customizable. I'd actually like the ability to remove the /quiet tag from the setup.exe command line, and be able to add the additional commands right on that step instead of having to add additional steps to create the those variables.
    Add Check boxes for additional preset parameters to enable /disable, and text box to add custom (reflect drivers, etc)

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make Windows 10 Setup Compatibility Scan Language Neutral

It would be nice if a checkbox "Perform Windows Setup Compatibility scan withnout starting upgrade" inside "Upgrade Operating System" step in SCCM Upgrade Task Sequence would be language neutral.

What I mean by this is that we would like to run this scan prior to the Upgrade itself but to be able to do that currently we have to switch the running OS to en-US (the same language as the Upgrade iso), then run the scan and in case an error is found, we need to switch back to original language again and reboot the computer. This is not aā€¦

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. can we use iso image in sccm to deploy to all client instead of wim file

can we use iso image in sccm to deploy to all client instead of wim file

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Apply Boundary Groups to WinPE Management Point selection

Currently it appears that when the SCCM agent in the WinPE boot image connects to a Management Point, it selects one without using the Boundary Group rules, instead selecting one from the AD published list, starting with the first alphabetically.
    Instead this should behave like the full blown Windows SCCM Client and select a Management Point based on Boundary Groups such as IP range.
    It is worth noting that Distribution Points are selected correctly according to Boundary Group by the WinPE client, for OSD content.

99 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add 2 new options for MDT, define and use Deployment toolkit

Add
    MDT Define Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Package
    Use Defined Microsoft Deployment Toolkit

So you can define then just use the defined MDT Toolkit. This would make it easier when you have multiple Use Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Package, in the TS. This way they wouldn't all have to be edited. So after you make a change/update your UDI for whatever reason usually applications upgrades.

This would same a major amount of time also ensure you don't miss one, and less time editing and testing.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi. This reads like something that would be addressed with the ‘Daisy chain task sequences’ https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/8339997-daisy-chain-task-sequences-osd-and-non-osd

With that you can updating a single referenced/child task sequence containing the MDT Package and any ‘parent’ task sequence will get that update too.

Let me know if that matches your ask and I’ll merge your votes with that item.

20. Possibility to priorize an (InPlace) Upgrade Task Sequence over Update Installation

Since Microsoft introduced the strategy to deliver two new OS builds per year for Windows 10 and a mandatory expiry date of SAC builds, the focus / Engineering task focuses back to perform in place Upgrades via Task Sequences.

As those Task Sequences are not deployed at a specific time during the week it might happen that some Windows OS Quality or Office Update are pending or queued for Installation. It does not make sense to deploy a Quality Update for the OS Build which is queued to be upgraded to a new OS Build (with new Quality Updates).

Myā€¦

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base