Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Windows 10 In-Place Upgrade Task Sequence Reminders with an Enforced Installation Deadline

It would be great if we had the option to set a required Windows 10 in place upgrade Task Sequence with scheduled notifications for users with an installation deadline. This would allow In-Place upgrade deployments to be enforced ensuring timely Windows 10 version updates whilst allowing the end user enough time to schedule the upgrade.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Advise which dependency failed during OSD on the screen as well as the log.

I work in an environment that does not allow me to enable the command prompt in a boot image. This makes it difficult to check what went wrong. During the dependency check in a PXE advise which dependencies failed on the screen as well as the log. It would be good to state if the NIC and storage drivers are working ok.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Distribute Task Sequence content to cloud distribution point

In TP1802, new feature allow Windows 10 in-place upgrade task sequence via cloud management gateway, which is very good feature, so please allow distribute Task Sequence content to cloud distribution point. In this moment, clould distribution point is not in the list when try to distribute Task sequence contents.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Import settings from one Task Sequence into another

Currently Task Sequences can be backed up and restore via the ConfigMgr PowerShell module. When it is time for Dev TS's to become production, it would be nice to be able to import the settings from the Dev TS directly into the production one. This way deployments don't need to be recreated and changes don't need to be meticulously documented and recreated in the production TS.
          Simply replacing the prod TS with the Dev one isn't as clean as new TS's take much, much longer to show up in the Software Center.

5 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Task Sequence Missing package error message include Package ID

When a package is missing on a distribution point for a task sequence, the error message used to include the package ID, so we knew which package to deploy. That is now missing in the latest build. Now it's a guessing game on what's missing. Return the Package ID so that troubleshooting gets easier, not prettier.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi. Thanks for the feedback.

I’m not clear which error message you’re referring to. Was this something you saw when deploying or at run time?

If you select a task sequence which has a missing reference the Deploy option is inactive (grayed out) – that’s done to prevent deployment when all required content is not available.

The task sequences view also has the References tab which shows the distribution status of all statically referenced packages

Editing the task sequence with a missing reference will pop a dialog listing any missing references

If you launch via PXE any missing references are listed – the package Id or App Scope are shown with the message to validate content and use the retry to refresh policy.

• numbers in windows serviceing not the same as a query

pie chart shows 20 and a query shows 19 why the difference?

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Operating System Deployment and Power Management - temporarily disable automatic sleep for large content download

A nice feature would be an integrated solution to allow a computer to remain awake during large content download. We currently have the ability to WOL for deployments, but in a some situations where content is not pre-staged/downloaded or if you use the option to download all content locally before running a task sequence the computer can sleep during content download. A use case is for this example is Windows 10 in-place upgrade TskSeq. Please implement a Power Availability Request based on process or thread to resolve this issue. The alternative of managing custom power plans or hacking a toggle…

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Feature check Package Hash mismatch errors with packages referenced to Task Sequence on Distribution points.

Feature check Package Hash mismatch errors with packages referenced to Task Sequence on Distribution points.

I hope there might be lots of package hash mismatch errors with packages when we do OSD deployments and applications deployments.

As every one is migrating/updating current SCCM to new Current branch.

a feature can be added to check the hash values are correct on distribution points to correc the issues to avoid delays in providing the support to for deployments.

This feature can be help full to check the single package status on slected DP or multiple.

Also to check with packages/applications referenced to…

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Set CCMEXEC Service to "Auto" while running a OS Task Sequence

It would be cool, if you set the CCMEXEC Service to "Auto" automatically while running a Task Sequence. After OS Deployment run, it sould be set to "Delayed" again.

This would Speed up OS Deplyoment up to 15 Minutes!

(We tested it in here with a TS Step after CCMSetup Step) cmd /c sc config "CcmExec" start= auto

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Stop boot image update process if there is a failure

If a boot image fails to update on distribution points, then the process continues to execute and the errors and indication of an unsuccessful update are only shown after the process completes. It would be nice if the process would stop when a failure occurs so the admin can troubleshoot and fix the issue. Otherwise, I'm just twiddling my thumbs with the console open while the process takes forever to complete.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • In Windows PE booting from Iso "Configure network settings" greyed out

When we are deploying a OS over a SCCM Boot Media Iso there is a possibility to define a IP, Gateway, Subnet ... If there is a tipping error the TS will fail and we have the possibility to push the previous button. In this Case the "Configure network settings" button is greyed out. Would be great if we could modify this settings

10 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • 'Check Readiness' step should not fail if there is a fixed disk of adequate size with no partitions

The 'Check Readiness' TS Step will fail if it cannot find a fixed disk with a partition that meets the requirements defined in the step.

Because it is looking for a partition, if there is a new disk or a disk which has been cleaned, but no partitions created, it will fail even if that disk has the required space available and would be successfully partitioned/formatted by the TS.

Maybe the step should consider fixed disks with no partitions when evaluating space required.

5 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Inject files/commands in boot image properties page.

I do some customisations (remote control, scripts for support, bginfo) to our boot.wim files by copying files while it's mounted and doing an Update distribution points. It would be nice to be able to inject files to certain folders (like Windows\system32) in the property page of the boot image in a separate tab. Also include command to execute these custom scripts in winpeshl.ini just before TsBootShell.exe

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for checking Jaco

X:\sms\pkg\sms00001 is the path the files/content from the ‘Prestart source directory’ is added too.

The doc link – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/osd/get-started/customize-boot-images
                              has this entry
                              When you boot to WinPE from a customized boot image that includes tools that you added, you can open a command prompt from WinPE and type the file name of the tool to run it. The location of these tools are automatically added to the path variable. The command prompt can only be added if the Enable command support (testing only) setting is selected on the Customization tab in the boot image properties.

• F12 build a machine with it's assigned TS from any site code

Notebooks move around, users with pc's also moves around between site codes. It would be great to be able to F12 build a machine from a different site code with it's assigned Task Sequences without having to delete and recreate it in the correct site code.
                              I know it can be moved in the console but what if the machine's current windows installation is corrupt and cant be moved to a different site code to F12 build it with it's assigned Task Sequences.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Task Squences for User Collections made available.

Custom Task Sequences allow for simple WMI queries for BIOS version detection. This is a nightmare when attempting to do in an Application. I am unable to deploy this task sequence to just my IT teams, and keep it hidden from regular users.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Don't Set CCMClient to Provisioning mode if running Compat /SCANONLY option

Currently, anytime you run the upgrade OS step, it set the client into provisioning mode, despite the options you're choosing. Could this be changed, that if you pick "Compatibility scan without upgrade" it would NOT put the client into provisioning mode.

I've had users reboot the computer when the scan was running (silently in the background), and then the client was in provisioning mode.

8 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Computer import information when MAC, NAME already exist

Would be great when during the Import of Computer Information we would get a hint that the MAC, GUID or Name already in SCCM exist and we get a message box with the question if we like to overwrite it. At the Moment we have the situation, when for example a MAC already exist, the Computer Object name will be overwrite but the information like SiteCode or Inventory and Collection membership are still there.

4 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Check referenced packages of child task sequence on Run Task Sequence step

The addition of run task sequence step is great. I see many useful ways of using this feature. However i would like to have the possibility to control if the parent task sequence checks the referenced packages in the child task sequence.

I would like to see a tick box on the Run Task Sequence step called something similar:
                                      Check refences packages in child task sequnce.

It could be ticked as default.

Here is an example how this could be used:
                                      My idea is to have country specific applications and roles that currently exist in MDT in separate task sequences…

17 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Combine SCCM Task Sequences with modern windows management tools to provide better support for using pre-installed OS

SCCM needs to have the ability to use a Pre-Installed OS (OEM, Manually Installed, Push Button Reset) as an alternative to a wipe and load. Combined with AutoPilot and/or provisioning packages, this would decrease the time required to deploy devices.

Currently, there’s no way to install the SCCM client into the installed OS from WinPE nor a way to deploy a task sequence to an unmanaged (no SCCM client) device that has been Provisioned (domain joined) and is booted into Windows. Additionally, the SCCM client installer launches sub processes then exits, which makes monitoring for successful installation difficult.

Our current…

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Download Package Content - Dynamic Option

Modify the Download Package Content step to include a dynamic option similar to the Install Package step (see attached mock up). This will allow the ability to selectively download content that is not a direct task sequence reference. When deploying the task sequence, the direct references (common to every system) can be downloaded ahead of time and then the system specific items can be downloaded selectively at TS run time. OSDDownloadContent.exe already performs a dynamic content location request, which is super useful when needing to pre-cache or download driver packages, BIOS packages and other items that are machine specific.

15 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base