Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

If you believe you have found a product bug, please use Feedback Hub. For more details, see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Microsoft Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I would like to be able to search for Task Sequences Variables and see where they are being used in all task sequences or even

I would like to be able to search for Task Sequences Variables and see where they are being used in all task sequences or at least be able to search a specific task sequence and see all variables being used within it. this is so when looking at TS variables i know if i can change or remove retired ones.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Rename task sequence when copying it.

I'd like to be able to put in the name of the copy as I make it and not have to go into properties and then rename it. This takes forever considering how slow SCCM often goes. So to save time being able to rename it when I right click and hit Copy would be ideal. Plus having the copy cut off half of my task sequence name with Hex nonesense is annoying.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Enable "Access content directly from distrubution point" when linking another Task Sequence

When I used the new feature that makes it possible to run a Task Sequence within a Task Sequence the option to "Access content directly from distrubution point" disappears. Is it possible to keep that option accessible? It's nice to only have one TS with all drivers and run that within any other task sequence while keeping that option enabled. Driver installation without that option is alot slower in my experience.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Integrate /ResetBase and WIM Optimization/Exporting into Offline Servicing

In the interest in making my OS deployment task sequences as fast and as optimized as possible, I always optimize WIM files anytime they're updated or re-created.

In my build/capture task sequence, I add a step at the very end before capture to run DISM /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase so that all of the superseded updates are removed from the base image before it is captured. This results in a smaller WIM file and obviously, faster deployment times.

With the built-in Offline Servicing option for OS images, once new updates are added, they remain in the component store of the image when…

2 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Refresh Task Sequences inside WinPE

Can we please have an option to refresh the list of available task sequences when PXE Booting?

At present, we have to reboot the machine in order for a new Task Sequence to show, or if any changes have been made to that TS after PXE Booting (eg you forget to Distribute a package, or disable/enable a step).

16 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Include DART in ConfigMgr Boot Images as standard

Having DART included in the boot images for ConfigMgr would make remove monitoring of OS Deployments much easier without us having to manually integrate it into the boot images.

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Disk number variable for Format and Partition Disk step

Sometimes OSD does not put Windows on the drive that we want in systems with multiple drives because of things like raid/SAS controllers or nVME. If you allow a variable to be used for the "disk number" in the format and partition step, a custom UI could be used to select the correct disk number from WMI and send that variable (which is just a number) to the format and partition step.

0 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Built-in support for BIOS and TPM update for 3rd party hardware

It would be really great to have a built-in task sequence step that could update BIOS and TPM form Lenovo, Dell, HP etc, during OSD.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Offline Servicing

Could you add an option to add some sort of version control for offline servicing, i.e. option to alter the name or version number. i know there is a BAk file but this get this in the console with new versions.

Also an option to clean the image after an offline update. as the image can grow quite a bit after the updates.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Instead of password-protecting bootmedia, have users authenticate using Active Directory credentials

It would be interesting if it were possible to protect bootmedia not just with a common password, but instead with a username/password authentication to ActiveDirectory.

2 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • WinPE boot verbose

It would be nice if we could boot in WinPE with verbose, sometimes when we boot, the computer hang and we cannot see where the problem is located. This feature could be turned on just like "enable F8 for command prompt"

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Embedded image file in Pre-Staged images should not supersede what the task says

When creating a Pre-Staged Media, the image files should be treated like any other media in that if it's not required anymore then it should be ignored and the right image file downloaded from the closest distribution point.

Scenario we have now:
                          We created a Pre-Staged media last year that included Windows 10 1607. We have now moved on to 1703 but haven't had the time to go through the full testing of a new media so our OEM is still putting the pre-stage media with 1607. When the machine starts it's task sequence, when it comes to the image,…

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Specify drive to cache data for creating task sequence media

When creating TS media, the cache is always downloaded to the temp folder for the user creating it. Our standard server config only build 100GB OS partitions which fill quickly. My admin PC has 256GB SSD primary with 1TB data drive. My SSD is filled with applications and other items but i have lots of free space on my data drive.
                            Trying to create standalone media fills the remaining space on my SSD and eventually fails. The option to choose to cache the content to my data drive would work as there is a lot more space available.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Native Certificate TPM Attestation during deployment

at the moment we need to use scripts with passwords in it against a CES/CEP because SMS Agent is in provisioning mode. It would be great to do certificate enrollments during deployment with the certificate enrollment point as the proxy. we use tpm attested certificates to check if the machine is known to increase security

35 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                4 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Directly Edit child task sequence

It would be nice to be able to edit a child task sequence directly from the master task sequence editor without having to go back to the config mgr console.
                                (like right click >edit on a "run task sequence" step.)

4 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Add automatic Peer Cache prefill task sequence synchronization

Behavior today: You have a OSD task sequence deployed for your "normal" client installations (from DPs) and also a dedicated prefill task sequence for pushing needed OSD content on the Peer Cache source machines.
                                  Now whenever you do changes in the "normal" TS you also have to change content and/or steps in the prefill TS manually. If you forget it, clients may download content remotely or OSD fails.
                                  I would like to propose an automatism, e.g. right-click on the "normal" TS, with a command to synchronize all changes with the selected prefill TS.

12 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Fix Pre-Download when using "Run another program first"

If you deploy a Task sequence that has Run another program first checked in properties and you also check pre-download content, the only thing downloaded is the program you want to run first. The program I am trying to run first is a deferral screen for OSD upgrade with user interaction. Either the pre-download should download everything in the task sequence or give you options of what you want to download. When doing OS upgrades with remote users you need everything in place before you can run the task sequence incase they drop vpn.

Thanks,

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Task Sequence Allow Application Installs by Administrative Categories

We'd like to see the following functionality added to the Install Application Task Sequence step.

Install application according to administrative categories.

We as a point of practice ALWAYS include some kind of Administrative Category in the Applications we package in SCCM it would be nice to have a way to leverage that in something more than just filtering in Configuration Manager searches

dynamic variable list is kind of nice but we have to set a variable list in EVERY Collection we want to deploy said applications to and if we have to add or remove an application we have to…

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Native patching in OSD

Provide the ability to deploy updates directly from a selected list of Update Groups instead of having to have an active software update deployment?

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • better driver and driver pack updates

Consider this scenario: you have 2 hardware models (eg. Lenovo X1 Yoga and Lenovo X1 Carbon); you download the SCCM driver pack for both models and import them into SCCM.
                                          When you import a driver pack you add a category to identify the model that belongs to.
                                          After you complete the import process for both driver packs you recognize that some drivers are in use by both models.
                                          So at the end you will have:
                                          - drivers used by model A only
                                          - drivers used by model B only
                                          - drivers used by both model A and B

The main…

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base