Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Quit Filtering out Windows 10 and Office 365 Client Updates from the All Software Updates node

The All Software Updates node should be just what it says - ALL SOFTWARE UPDATES.

However, since the addition of the Windows 10 and Office 365 servicing nodes, the All Software Updates node no longer includes Windows 10 and Office 365 updates. This is confusing and unnecessary behavior IMO.

It also makes the process to add these updates to the same SUGs as other updates more work as you can't query them all in the same pane. You have to query and add all non Windows 10 and non Office 365 Client updates to the SUG, then go to the…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Devices compliance status

Software Updates Dashboard - Devices Compliance Status: When adjusting Compliance Status Filters, save the chosen settings.
      Preferrably save the settings per user.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • In the office 365 dashboard, please include the release version in addition to the builder versions

In the office 365 dashboard, please include the release version in addition to the builder versions

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Create a feature like the WSUS Selfupdate feature for updating WUA

Hi all,

with the older WSUS versions we had the selfupdate mechanism that kept the client WUA version up to date, before attempting any scan.

This has since been deprecated, because WUA started to be patched outside of the updates for WSUS itself (like KB2938066).

This has lead to a lot of enterprise environments having different and very old WUA versions among the install base.

In order to address this problem at the moment, the ConfigMgr admins have to use a method like the one below:
          https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2014/07/14/how-to-install-the-windows-update-agent-on-client-computers/

This is an overhead for any admins and should be easier.

It would…

30 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Office 365 required updates in 1710 Should Not Force Applications to Close

Please do not force applications closed when applying office 365 updates. We have had to suspend the deployment of office 365 updates due to user impact until we can work this out. This same topic was marked as complete in the feedback section but it is still happening with SCCM 1710 and KBKB4057517 Installed.
            reference:
            https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/32048548-office-365-required-updates-in-1706-should-not-for

Also I have not seen any user presented countdowns when the deadline approaches. Thanks.

44 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              5 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this in sccm 1802 TP. Should be in 1802 prod. Mandatory office updates will now no longer trigger immediate forced office updates which force office shutdown. Instead, they will trigger a pending reboot which the end user can control, and patching will happen during reboot.

• Service Plans - define search for feature updates to save disk space

At the moment when creating a service plan in SCCM e.g. for Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) there are several versions downloaded. Like the x86, x64, consumer and business files. So if you need the update only for Win 10 x64 Enterprise EN, you will still get all 4 versions: the x86, x64, consumer updates (Win 10 Home) and business updates. That results in pretty much wasted disk space which would not be necessary since the x64 business files would suffice.

It would be great if we can define the search better so you can choose what files will…

15 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Add more options for ADR deadlines

It would be just awesome, if you could configure your ADR deadline to be a certain date/time of month, instead of calculating hours AFTER the ADR has been run.. just if you could configure it so that that the deadline "Every month on day X at xx:xx"

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • When enabling "Upgrades" class' in SUP properties, the advice about KB3095113 is wrong, KB3095113 is superceded. Badly needs attention!!!!

When enabling the "Upgrades" classification in SCCM SUP properties, the advice about KB3095113 is wrong, KB3095113 is superceded by KB4041693. This is horrendous to unravel and badly needs clarification and attention. Please make efforts to sort this mess out, thanks.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Tag rollups in the update sequence

When there are a list of updates which include rollups, Tag them and apply only those. In my idea this would grey out other updates which are applicable indicating that they're addressed with the rollups. This will reduce the time for up[dating!!

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Deploy meltown/spectre related updates not in Monthly CU

When a ciritcal patch (ex: spectre/meltdown) is released do not put it in the Monthly CU. But release it as a single KB. The 2018-01 CU's for win10 and 7 are a mess.. Powershell ISE crash with dot net fix, juniper vpn client crashes on win10 with the CU. Give us admins the power to open up a CU and pull a single KB out to avoid issues but still be able to deploy the CU minus that one KB.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • In ADR's I would like more options when scheduling a deployment

I would like to be able to say that I would like the deployment of the third Thursday of every month. I would also like to have deployments made as available not just required.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • "Install Software Updates' Task Sequence more informative status messages

We are using Task Sequences to install Software Updates in our environment, as it allows us to automate pre- and post- update steps. In our case, admins need to observe how patching is going across all their machines in real time (through Status Message Queries) to make sure they fit into the pre-approved maintenance window.

Given that the 'Install Software Updates' task takes most of the time in the Task Sequence, it would be really helpful if the TS Engine would report some additional details when executing this task. For example, having a messages like this would be very informative: …

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Windows 10 Servicing allow property filter

In the Upgrades section of Windows 10 Servicing Plans it would be nice to be able to filter either by date released or by "most recent version" so that we don't end up with a huge Package containing all previous versions. We want the whole thing to be automated, not generate a new Plan every 6 months.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Request full control over allow/disallow force closing of Office 365 apps when installing updates instead of force closing Office apps

In ConfigMgr 1610 Update Rollup 1 provided the change so Office 365 Updates did not force close any office applications when Office 365 patches were installed through ConfigMgr Software Center.
                              https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/sum/deploy-use/manage-office-365-proplus-updates#restart-behavior-and-client-notifications-for-office-365-updates

With ConfigMgr 1706 we require the option to disallow force closing of office 365 applications when patches are installed through the ConfigMgr Software Center.

28 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Remove empty deployment packages

When you create a deployment package over time the software updates expire and are removed. However if you look through Deployment Packages the original size of the package is shown. Right click and show members and the package is empty. Check the file location for the package source and it is empty. Can you find a way to either automatically clean up empty deployment packages or offer the column of "Number of updates" as in Software Update Group, so these empty packages can be identified.

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Allow more complex rules for Automatic Deployment Rules

In our environment we only have x64 workstations and use a specific version of windows 10. But currently when using a title filter you can only create an OR filter

eg. Title -86x OR 1703

I want to be able to do "Title -86x AND 1703"

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Express installation for Windows Server 2016

Any plan on adding Express installation files for Windows Server 2016 updates?

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Ability to download content to Distribution Point from the Microsoft Updates

the largest packages in organizations are usually Update Packages.
                                      when they're being distributed over WAN or slow collection it can take forever and\or slow down the whole bandwidth between sites.
                                      It could have been great to have the ability for Update Packages to download the content from MS Updates directly

2 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Express Update vs Full Update option

Express updates are downloading more and more data of PSF file on client machine and consuming more and more space, more than 40 GB on a computer.

we should have either full update or Express Update, we should have option, and computers doesn't download all PSF file which consumes more than 30 GB

7 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Keep software update history for compliance reporting

Whenever an update (KB) is not actively deployed anymore, as soon as it gets superseded, after the period defined in the supersendence rule (site setting for software updates) it will decline that update and hence, it will vanish from the update history.
                                          This is (obviously) by design.

My request would be to change the behavior so that the update history will be preserved regardless if a KB has been declined or not.
                                          This would make it possible to run a compliance report and see if a KB was needed and by which computers, when it was deployed, superseded etc. even…

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base