Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Collection Expiration

Provide an option to "expire" a collection where it gets removed (or at lease collection evaluations are disabled) on a specified date. This would help with the collection evaluator from becoming overloaded with processing Pilot/Test collections that were "forgotten".

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Integrate software updates "known issues" information into the SCCM.

Make a way to inform a user when he deploys software updates that has known issues. So that is is more visible for the end user to know if security updates break things :)

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Bug : Registry not exist only Reg_SZ

This bug exist on 2012R2 and CB 1702

During OSD, on the option to execute task, when we select "Registry not exist" we canno't select type of registry : "DWord" or "Reg_SZ" it's greyed out

But during my OSD i want to check if a DWORD not exist to install application, and SCCM choose "REG_SZ" I have no choose. ( see attachment ) But during OSD the Task Sequence install my app, even if the DWORD exist because the REG_SZ not exist ...

Can you let the type of value available if we choose registry exist or not exist ?

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • [Scripts] Show PowerShell Intellisense in script editor prompts

Now that we have the ability in TP1706 to upload and run PowerShell scripts against endpoints, it has exposed the need to be able to tab complete and validate syntax with intellisense from the console. I'm not asking you to recreate the PowerShell ISE/VSCode, just some rudimentary intellisense for when you are working on the Admin Console.

0 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Powershell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Offline Servicing - Select Indexes to Update

At the moment, when you do Offline Image Servicing on a Server WIM - it applies it to all image indexes (Standard, Standard Core, Datacenter, Datacenter Core, etc...)

Can we have an option to select which index (or indexes) we would like to service?

If someone only deploys Standard (gui) and never Datancentre, they don't really need to patch it..

It would also save some time

2 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Create a 'fake' update for update scan/path troubleshooting

Create a 'fake' but officially signed MS update that is applicable to all OSes and fails with a predictable error code, to help with software update scan troubleshooting issues. This will let us see if our software update scan is actually working, and if the entire path all the way down to the machine is functional or not.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • When Expiring Updates based on Supersedence Rules also Decline them in WSUS

When SCCM expires updates based on the configured Supersedence Rules it only does so in SCCM, not WSUS. Additionally, SCCM does not approve updates in WSUS.
                Because of these two facts the WSUS Cleanup Wizard will never decline superseded updates. They are neither expired (as they are in SCCM) nor are their superseding updates approved (a requirement for the WSUS Cleanup Wizard). This causes a bloated Update Catalog that can cause very real client issues. There are scripts available to handle this situation but this is the last mile issue in regards to WSUS maintenance. If the product declined the…

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • ADR option: Exclude Downloaded or Deployed updates

Provide additional ADR options to exclude updates which have already been downloaded and deployed. This will keep SUGs cleaner and smaller for those who run a monthly ADR with the option required >=1.

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Source list URL path not relative to the MSI that was run

Currently if you run an MSI using a wrapper, and the MSI is located in a subfolder, the source list reg keys get set differently.

The path in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\<product code>\SourceList\Net gets set to the relative path of the MSI at run time.

The path in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\<product code>\SourceList\URL gets set to the root content URL on the DP.

This causes issues if the local cache has been removed or purged. The user can no longer perform a repair as the source path is invalid.

Normally I'd say just uninstall and reinstall, but in the case of some CAD systems that can…

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Allow Import/Export of Client Settings

It would be great if you could Allow Import/Export of Client Settings. This would allow us to share items like best practices for SCEP Exclusion settings or Hardware Inventory classes.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • WMF 5.1 breaks class registrations for the ConfigMgr client agent

I've localized this issue to WMF 5.1 on Windows 7. With this installed, the WMI namespace: root\ccm\policy\defaultmacine\requestedconfig becomes invalid. This is important because in In-Place upgrade scenarios from Windows 7 to Windows 10, the task sequence agent cannot resume the task sequence without being able to read this namespace.

These are the relevant errors I see in the SMSTS.log:

`Failed to open WMI Namespace 'root\ccm\policy\defaultmachine\requestedconfig'. WMI Repository may be corrupted. Invalid namespace (Error: 8004100E; Source: WMI)`

`Error compiling client config policies. code 8004100E`

`Task Sequence Manager could not initialize Task Sequence Environment. code 8004100E`

`Task sequence execution failed with error…

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Update ZTIGather.wsf for new Win32_SystemEnclosure values

Line 419, add values 30, 31, 32:
                          Case "8", "9", "10", "11", "12", "14", "18", "21", "30", "31", "32"

http://thinkdeploy.blogspot.com/2017/04/new-enclosure-types-for-convertible.html

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Cleaning up the software update point when WSUS Failes

In every Version of SCCM since SCCM xxxx I have had to at some point cleanup the mess created from unmaintaned systems.

I would like a function/option to wipe/purge all WSUS updates when I Remove the Software Update Point from my site. That would save us lots of troubleshooting.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • When deploying a task sequence from a collection: Don't clear the chosen collection!

When right clicking a collection and choosing to deploy a task sequence to that collection, after the TS has been chosen the chosen collection is cleared.

When one have made a conscious effort of what collection to deploy to, trust that the operator have made the right choice!

Clearing the collection is a highly unwanted nanny state :(
                              You might as well remove the possibility to deploy TS's via collections then :(

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Software Update reports accessible from within Software Updates

It would be great to have a menu item to view the specific update reports in the All Software Updates view and within the Software Updates Groups view. Currently we can ascertain the updates' status details, required count, install count etc... from the Software Update list view but this information is not interactive. To actually identify the specific list of systems these updates are needed by or installed on we have to manually run a compliance report for the software update. It would be nice to have that functionality built into the Software Library module where highlighting an update will…

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Scan for new software in software center

We pin the software center to the Start Menu in Windows 10. We would like there to be a user friendly option, say a "Check for new software!" button that they can press that triggers the appropriate policy actions to run behind the scenes. It's cumbersome to have to go into the client and trigger the policy options manually.

I have even included a screenshot of how it should look!

2 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • web application

The current implementation of Web Applications is very limited. Quite frankly, I'm not sure why this was implemented so poorly: batch files are more flexible than this!

I'd like to see this expanded in several ways: choices of where to put the icon (start menu, public desktop, user's desktop), appearance of the icon.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Fix "Download content locally when needed by task sequence" option when used on a Task Sequence with pre-cache content enabled

The pre-cache content option for Task Sequences is great, however it doesn't seem to behave correctly when used with the "Download content locally when needed by task sequence" deployment option.

The documentation says that if the Task Sequence hasn't finished pre-caching the content before the Task Sequence is executed, it will honor this setting. However, we're finding that it will download the content before running the Task Sequence AND then try to download it again when it moves to each step (so downloading everything twice effectively).

If you allow time for it to pre-cache then it is fine, but in…

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Rework express updates for faster client installation

Per: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/sum/deploy-use/manage-express-installation-files-for-windows-10-updates

"Using express installation files provides for smaller downloads and faster installation times on clients."

Through a case I opened with Microsoft, it was communicated to me that the current express update design is solely meant to reduce network bandwidth. There is no promise of expedited installation time. This is misleading and limits the purpose of express updates for remote office scenarios.

Additionally the express update deltas have to be decompressed and recombined in order to complete the installation which requires significant CPU usage.

The combination of these issues causes express updates to provide little benefit to customers in…

30 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • delete each collection member from the database

The "Delete each collection member from the database" tick box clickable field extends to immediately above the "OK" button, making it extremely easy to select on accident. The field should only exist within the space of the box itself, or slightly outside of it.

15 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 89 90
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base