Microsoft

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the 🙂 button in the top right corner and choose “Send a Frown”. For more details, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Multiple hierarchies in Desktop Analytics

We need support for multiple hierarchies in one Azure Tenant. Currently there is only support for 1 commercial ID and CM hierarchies. We have 4 spread over the world but only one Azure tenant.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Noted  ·  2 comments  ·  Desktop Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Remote Control: Improve Multi-Monitor Experience

Business Case (I know how you PMs love these):
    The current CB 1902 implementation is going to make this conversation part of our helpdesk script:
    “What screen is the app on?”
    “Can you move that window to the monitor where X is showing?”

“No, not that one.”
    “Nope, still don’t’ see it”
    “Ok let me reconnect in full screen, please accept the prompt again.”
    “No no no, don’t hang up the phone, that’s not how this works.”
    “Ok, you should see a prompt to allow me to connect.”
    “Nope it’s there, trust me.”
    “Got it, thanks. Ok, let me move…

182 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Remote Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve folder support in cmdlets

Actually, it is possible to create a collection with a cmdlet. But we cannot create it in a specific location. We need moving it after creating the collection. Why not just add a parameter to the New-CMDeviceCollection cmdlet?

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. Folder support is something that is very limited in the cmdlet library today and something that’s in our backlog to improve in a future release. In my opinion, I think the way things should work is if you’re in a collection folder in the cmdlet drive provider, it should just create the collection in the right place.

I’ve linked this feedback to our internal work item to improve folder support so this doesn’t get lost.

Thanks!

4. Warning message for high-impact collection changes

When I started working with SCCM years ago I was told that you're not really an SCCM admin until you accidently deployed MS Office to the whole company. Through my years of working with SCCM I've seen many people update a collection not knowing that there was a mandatory deployment attached which resulted in the deployment getting sent to systems that were not intended.
    I would like to see a check/notification box added when a query based collection is updated that reminds you of the required deployments attached. This message will only show if an unexpired required advertisement is still…

72 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Maintenance window recurrence pattern offset from a base day

Allow the recurrence pattern for maintenance windows to be scheduled with an offset from a base day.

Meaning, if we want a maintenance window on the Wednesday following the Second Tuesday of every month, we could configure a maintenance window for the Second Tuesday with a +1 offset.

(This would be similar to the offset option added to ADRs in 1802.)

540 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  20 comments  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable url-like shortcuts to nodes in the console (ie. deployment saved searches)

I check up on deployments every few hours, would love to be able to create a shortcut on my desktop to "Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.exe \Monitoring\Searches\Search99"

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  2 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. allow export all task sequences or folder of task sequences

We have many task sequences, sorted into folders for multiple users, when it comes to archiving them, it's tedious, we'd like to archive multiple task sequences by user (or by folder), this would be great, right now you have to export one task sequence at a time which is tedious.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Variable with Full OU path

Take the OU path from 'Network Settings" and turn it into a variable e.g. _SMSMachineOUpath
    I use dynamic variables to determine the OU based on location and device so my Domain OU path has OU=%devicetype%,OU=Location,OU=workstations,DC=Contoso,DC.com
    so it would be nice to have the actual value in a variable that I can reference later say in a script to move existing object to the above created OU. I can see the full path in the SMSTS.log, but not in a variable. Also removing the LDAP:\ from the start could be handy in some situations I guess.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Marty,

Vlad ask to pass this on:

He can try at the beginning of TS to add steps to set variables that I listed in my reply to the same strings that he entered in the UI of Network Settings step? Which will result in Network Settings step take the values from these global variables (not from UI, even though they may be the same). But it will also have a side effect that these variables will be available during task sequence for whatever he wants to user them for.

I’ll have a bit of time at the weekend. I’ve a couple of ideas about removing the LDPA:\\ you mentioned. Can you describe the scenario you want to address, please?

Thanks

9. Ignore DHCPINFORM messages in SMSPXE.log for sccmpxe service.

Team,

Currently when the non-WDS PXE responder is enabled, all DHCPINFORM messages are logged in the SMSPXE.log. This floods the log with unnecessary information and makes the troubleshoting more difficult as the log gets overwritten very often.

Please perform the change to at least not log these DHCPINFORM messages.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. Updating status to noted.

May I ask which version you are seeing this occur on. We addressed this in our 1906 release so upgrading to latest will solve this – our 1910 release is in opt-in phase now (fast ring)

Blog: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Configuration-Manager-Blog/Update-1910-for-Microsoft-Endpoint-Configuration-Manager-current/ba-p/1032459
    Docs: https://docs.microsoft.com/configmgr/core/plan-design/changes/whats-new-in-version-1910

Thanks

10. 70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Maximum allowed Management Points for a Primary Site.

We use a multitenant SCCM environment with clients/customers in untrusted forests.
    Because we target users, we also deployed the Management Point role in all untrusted forests.

At this moment Configmgr only supports up to 15 management points per primary site coming from 10 in the past.

We would like to see the maximum allowed management points per primary site bumped to a higher level.
    This will give us the ability to stay with a single primary site setup and avoid CAS.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Multi-Tenant/ISP  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Phased deployment support for PowerShell cmdlets

Phased Deployment Powershell Cmdlets

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Bitlocker Network Unlock with WDS-less PXE

With Bitlocker Network Unlock, a WDS server can automatically unlock your bitlockered device without requiring the user typing the PIN at boot. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/bitlocker/bitlocker-how-to-enable-network-unlock).
    As we all go forward using the SCCM WDS-less PXE-provider instead of WDS, it would be a good idea, if it supported Bitlocker Network Unlock, too.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Store output of run command line to TSEnv with "RunAsUser".

Running a step as a user prevents you from using the TSEnvironment in order to store any data returned.

The step could be anything, like getting a byte array of a certificate, ad-groups of the computer or primary user or as in this example, getting the TPM OwnerAuth from MBAM.

I would rather store it directly in the TSEnv instead of in a temporary file and run another script to read the file just to be able to use the password, as a variable, from a “Run commandline”-step.

The only other workaround I’ve found this far is running the step…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. add a powershell possibility to add repair command to a deploymenttype of an application

add a powershell possibility to add repair command to a deploymenttype of an application

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  4 comments  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Support Center Advanced Log File Viewer Advanced Filtering

It would be great if in the new Suppert Center Advanced Log File Viewer, there would be an option for Advanced Filters, when opening a log file, the filters load automatically and we dont need to load them manually everytime we open a log.
    Same as with the other buttons, that can be activated and deactivated.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Troubleshooting & Support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support Center Log File Viewer support same log files as CMTrace

The CMTrace tool is able to parse non-SCCM log files (e.g. 1E's Nomad logs) to properly pick up timestamps, process ID's etc. It would be very helpful if this could be added to the Support Center/Support Center Log File Viewer. It seems

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Pass a task sequence variable to PowerShell script via parameter

When using the Run PowerShell Script task sequence, it would be beneficial to be able to pass task sequence variables in the parameters field, especially when using different credentials where PowerShell no longer has access to Microsoft.SMS.TSEnvironment.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add /ResetBase to New-CMOperatingSystemImageUpdateSchedule

Now that optimization of the WIM and removal of superseded updates is available as an option for offline servicing in the console, it would be great if this option could be added as a switch to the New-CMOperatingSystemImageUpdateSchedule cmdlet. I use this cmdlet to automate scheduling of updates in an ADG against all my WIMs so it would be great if I could shrink them down at the same time without needing to do this in the console.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback.

Updating status to noted, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help#send-a-suggestion for an explanation of each value.

We’ve addressed this in our 1902 release as well as the ability to import a single .wim from the multi-index .wim.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/osd/get-started/manage-operating-system-images#BKMK_AddOSImages

As Vlad mentioned, the New-CMOperatingSystemImageUpdateSchedule CmdLet has -RemoveSupersededUpdates

I’ll update the status to completed if this addressed your ask. If not, then let us know any gaps.

20. Enhance Phased Deployment for Applications

TL;DR: Make Phased Deployments for Applications the same as Phased Deployments for Task Sequences where you can create up to 10 phases and manually initiate the second phase of deployment.

Explanation:
    Currently in 1806 although you can create a phased deployment for an Application, you're limited in two key areas:

1) You cannot manually create phases for an application
    2) You cannot manually begin the second phase of deployment for an application
    3) You are limited to 2 phases for an application

In our environment we follow a controlled graceful deployment process where an Application Model application is deployed office-by-office…

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 32 33
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base