Microsoft

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Run powerShell Script task sequence step to set variable appends to existing value instead of replace

When using the new Run Powershell script step in a task sequence in CM 1902 and you use the "Output to a task sequence variable" option and choose and existing task sequence variable the value returned from the powershell script is appended to the variable instead of replacing the value of the variable.

Seems this should set the value not append the value.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Support PXE responder to run on same server as DHCP

Currently it is not supported to use the built in PXE responder on the same server that is running DHCP. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have their own servers for SCCM DPs.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all your suggestions and feedback, updating status to completed.

SCCM 1902 fast Ring released today which has the changes to allow PXE responder to run on the same server as DHCP role.

Blog: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Configuration-Manager-Blog/Update-1902-for-Configuration-Manager-current-branch-is-now/ba-p/376516
    Docs: https://docs.microsoft.com/sccm/core/plan-design/changes/whats-new-in-version-1902

3. Fix very slow content download (and constant certificate checks) - in a HTTPS Only infra - for OS upgrades through Task Sequence.

Basically we observe a very slow content download ("Upgrade Operating System" + "Download package content" step, for the driver packs) when doing Win10 in-place upgrade through a TS over HTTPS.
    Issue occurs on both Win10 1607/1703, using SCCM 1802 (back-end and client).
    Approx. 90% of the smsts.log entries are all about certificate validation (sometimes even multiple times for 1 downloaded file).
    After each selection/validation action, a status of <success> is returned.. but only seconds later the same selection/validation is attempted over and over again.

77 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  4. Integrate /ResetBase and WIM Optimization/Exporting into Offline Servicing

In the interest in making my OS deployment task sequences as fast and as optimized as possible, I always optimize WIM files anytime they're updated or re-created.

In my build/capture task sequence, I add a step at the very end before capture to run DISM /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase so that all of the superseded updates are removed from the base image before it is captured. This results in a smaller WIM file and obviously, faster deployment times.

With the built-in Offline Servicing option for OS images, once new updates are added, they remain in the component store of the image whenā€¦

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  5. Add time-out option to Powershell step in TS

Please add a time-out option to the "Run PowerShell Script" task sequence step.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow scripts created in \Software Library\Scripts node to be ran in a task sequence

The scripts that are created and approved in \Software Library\Scripts allow them to be used during a task sequence that way you do not need to create a package to contain the script file and download. That way you can avoid using the run command line step if the script is long.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  7. OS Upgreade TS: Add percentage complete next to the install bar.

OS Upgreade TS: Add percentage complete next to the install bar. It would be easier to keep tabs on the installations.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  8. Run executable package content (posh script or exe) from RAMdisc

I need an ability to run executable content, especially posh scripts, in winpe from RAMdisk. I mean, then there is no initialised or partitioned disks in the system.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  9. task sequence variable applied to nested task sequence

It would be good if you a Task Sequence Variable created in the Parent task sequence could be applied in the child task sequence.

e.g.
    Task Sequence A sets the task sequence variable 'wibble' = True

Nested Task Sequence B has a step that runs if the Condition is set to run if Task Sequence Variable 'wibble' = True

Hope that makes sense.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. BUG: Nested Task Sequences do not update references to packages correctly

In CM Admin Console > Task Sequences when using nested TS the parent TS does not update package references correctly until sub-TS is re-added to the main.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  32 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  11. media from primary site

When creating stand-alone media, allow primary site selection

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Updating status, I didn’t receive any reply for expanding on what your ask was.

Standalone media is used for scenarios where there’s low or no bandwidth and also for recovery scenarios.

We do not allow specifying the Primary site – I presume this is for the management point, once the client installs dependent on boundaries, AD membership etc. the client will find the management point and register. (that’s assuming there’s network available).

Thanks and regards,
    Bob

12. Task Sequence - View Only option

Add Option to View TS, instead of "edit". Often times I just want to look at a TS for reference, and not edit it. Just safe guarding the TS from my accidental clicks.

250 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  13. Add import code button to new Run PowerShell script task sequence step

The 1811 Technical Preview added a "enter or paste a PowerShell script" function to the "Run PowerShell script" Task Sequence step. That is an awesome feature, but even more awesome would an import code button that automatically puts the code in for you when you direct it to a .ps1 script.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Make it possible to show the Windows Upgrade GUI during an in place upgrade

Actually there is no option to show the GUI for the Windows 10 upgrades. The users want to know whatā€™s going on during an in Place upgrade.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Need support for Option 82 in PXE DHCP handshake as network tenant based on BGP/MPLS needs it for forwarding to DHCP Client.

In order to avoid using distributed PXE Servers a support of the Option on PXE DHCP Handshake would make proper inter tenant forwarding possible.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Updating status to completed – see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help#send-a-suggestion for an explanation of each value.

Our 1906 release is now available and has added support for option 82. Please note this only applies to the new PXE responder.

Blog: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Configuration-Manager-Blog/Update-1906-for-Configuration-Manager-current-branch-is-now/ba-p/775553

Docs: https://docs.microsoft.com/sccm/core/plan-design/changes/whats-new-in-version-1906

16. Upgrade Operating System Task should be able to use Windows Servicing Content and Allow user interaction

Problem:
    ā€¢ Current state of windows 10 servicing via upgrade sequence requires full media to take the client through setup.
    o Full media is 2x the size of existing ESD (upgrade content)
    o The Upgrade Operating System step does not allow the end user to defer the reboot nor does it warn the user of a reboot pending once setup has been kicked off

Change Request (Requirements)
    I. The Upgrade Operating System step in the task sequence shall permit the administrator to reference windows 10 servicing content
    II. The Upgrade Operating System step in the task sequence shall permit theā€¦

116 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Updating status to completed – see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help#send-a-suggestion for an explanation of each value.

This ask spans a couple of areas, we’ve addressed the system reboot customization with the variable SMSTSRebootDelayNext – I’ll close this item and return your votes to you.

For using ESD, we have this item https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/16896706-windows-10-upgrade-servicing if you want to add your votes to that.

[Aaron Smith – I’ve sent you a couple of messages to help solve your issue, let me know the status, thanks]

17. Specify drive to cache data for creating task sequence media

When creating TS media, the cache is always downloaded to the temp folder for the user creating it. Our standard server config only build 100GB OS partitions which fill quickly. My admin PC has 256GB SSD primary with 1TB data drive. My SSD is filled with applications and other items but i have lots of free space on my data drive.
    Trying to create standalone media fills the remaining space on my SSD and eventually fails. The option to choose to cache the content to my data drive would work as there is a lot more space available.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. In Windows PE booting from Iso "Configure network settings" greyed out

When we are deploying a OS over a SCCM Boot Media Iso there is a possibility to define a IP, Gateway, Subnet ... If there is a tipping error the TS will fail and we have the possibility to push the previous button. In this Case the "Configure network settings" button is greyed out. Would be great if we could modify this settings

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add Reboot Count functionality to the Disable BitLocker TS Step

Newer versions of the BitLocker management tools (specifically manage-bde) now support the ability to suspend the BitLocker protection for defined number of reboots. The current Disable BitLocker TS step only suspends BitLocker for 1 reboot. There are cases that having a defined number of reboots (or indefinitely until re-enabled at the end of a TS) can come in handy (flashing the BIOS, MBR2GPT, In-place Upgrade with PINs, etc.).

Please add this functionality to the Disable BitLocker TS step for the operating systems that support it.

122 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  20. Offline Servicing - Select Indexes to Update

At the moment, when you do Offline Image Servicing on a Server WIM - it applies it to all image indexes (Standard, Standard Core, Datacenter, Datacenter Core, etc...)

Can we have an option to select which index (or indexes) we would like to service?

If someone only deploys Standard (gui) and never Datancentre, they don't really need to patch it..

It would also save some time

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all your suggestions and feedback, updating status to completed.
    The Add Operating System Import wizard now has an option for selecting the index to import.

SCCM 1902 fast Ring released today
    Blog: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Configuration-Manager-Blog/Update-1902-for-Configuration-Manager-current-branch-is-now/ba-p/376516
    Docs: https://docs.microsoft.com/sccm/core/plan-design/changes/whats-new-in-version-1902

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base