Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, seeĀ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Microsoft Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinkingā€¦)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Revamp ConfigMgr's cluster patching, and remove it from PreRelease

Cluster patching feature was added in #SCCM CB 1602, but has been in prelease for a long time. It needs to:
    1) Have improved/revamped UI
    2) Remove dependency on collections
    3) Orchestrate patching for any machines, not just servers/clusters
    4) Remove the feature from prerelease

623 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    planned  ·  30 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Install Servicing Stack Updates Before Other Updates

Currently, when servicing stack updates and regular updates are deployed in the same software update group, the patches do not apply in a determinant order. This leads to cases where a cumulative update that requires a new servicing stack is installed before the servicing stack itself.

While this can be worked around by separately deploying the servicing stack update before updates that require said servicing stack, it would be much more convenient if the update installation process checked if there are any servicing stack updates to be deployed and automatically installed them first

1,029 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  17 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. Add 80072ee2 as a default code to the WSUS Scan Retry Error Codes

If a SUP/WSUS server is offline or in a disaster situation, clients should be allowed to failover to another SUP.

Currently if a SUP goes offline, clients simply will never scan again, and this is not an ideal situation.

106 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  4. Automatically Publish Full Content for Third Party Software Updates

With the release of CB 1806 we are now able to publish third party updates using custom catalogs. Ideally, third party patches would function exactly like first party patches from an administration and automation perspective. Currently there's two main areas where this is not the case.

Synchronization Schedule:
    I could be wrong on this but I believe that subscribed catalogs sync automatically every 24-hours. While that's nice, it would be great to simply integrate with the existing sync schedule. Sync the catalogs, publish relevant metadata to WSUS, then sync the SUP(s).

Automatic Deployment Rules:
    Currently, only update metadata is publishedā€¦

280 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  14 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve SCCM's built in WSUS cleanup and maintenance task

Preview SCCM versions have a basic WSUS cleanup and maintenance task. It should be evolved and expanded to include SQL index optimization, IIS configuration optimization, and deletes of declined updates.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  6. Sub folders within Automatic deployment rules

Being able to create folders within automatic deployment rules would allow us to seperate our ADR's by type / OS or whatever and would make it much easier to manage. the subfolders are available for most other catagories so i feel it should be added to this one as well.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Show The Chain of Expired/Superseded Updates in the Console

When I search for a KB in the SCCM Console, there should be a tab, likely at the bottom pane of the console (e.g. a part of Summary, Deployment, Phased Deployments), that shows what updates a given KB superseded or what has superseded that KB. This is better than having to go to search this out on the web.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. SCCM ADRS: Cannot setup ADR for a Date Range, Only out to 1 Year.

Currently you can search for patches for a range, for example:
    AND Date Released or Revised is between 1/1/2001 and 5/1/2019
    AND Required is greater than or Equal to = 1
    Expired=No
    Superseded=No

But When Creating an ADR you cannot specify the date range for Needed\Required Patches that meet that same criteria. You can only deploy Patches released within the Last Year in an ADR.

This is a Patching requirement for us, and most Fortune 500 Companies. We have to be able to deploy Patches that might be needed that are older than a Year. ADR's need to be ableā€¦

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add deployment setting-Allow enforcement outside of maintenance window for deferred update (updates that have missed one maintenance window)

There are many benefits to having one deployment for all of our workstations. We have an ADR that approves our patches and deploys them to a singular collection. Our update schedule is segmented so that not all locations go at once. Since we only have one deployment, this assignment is carried through by maintenance windows. We would love a setting that allows the workstations to wait for their maintenance window after our approval, but as soon as it has missed one window "and is now a deferred update" then enforce outside of maint. windows. We know we could go backā€¦

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Option to reboot at the end of the maintenance window

We have an issue with business wanting to know within a 15-30 minute timeframe when the server reboots. With the maintenance windows today we can only open for installation and reboot but do not know when during the maintenance window the reboot will happen. Would it be possible to allow a setting to wait with the reboot to the end of the maintenance window. This way the reboot time would be predictable and installation would happen during the maintenance window. The option could be something like "If reboot is required wait until the end of the maintenance window to reboot"ā€¦

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. SCCM - Add Modern App updates into SCCM like IE or Windows Updates. Patients affected

We support 86,000 health care Windows 10 clients. Built IN Modern apps like Photos update randomly in the middle of the day TAKING down our entire WAN and LAN forcing emergency rooms to stop working.

This is due to 300MB per App per machine x 80,000+ machines = 24,000,000 MB of data coming through the Internet Gateway regularly with EACH app update. We have tracked this data all coming from the Microsoft App update servers.

We have to patch built in apps like Edge and Photos for health care security. Redundant apps have been uninstalled and Windows Store is blocked.

ā€¦

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Office 365 Proofing Tools language Selection

Office 365 Proofing Tools language Selection:

In SCCM, we cannot select the Office 365 Proofing Tools Languages along with the Office 365 Client Update. But, if we choose the Office 365 languages then the respective Office 365 Proofing tools language will be selected.

Office 365 language size will have ~400-500MB and the Proofing tools language size will have 30-150MB. So, if we select ONE language, then it will be around ~450-650MB. Here most of the users will not have Office 365 language Pack, but they will use Office 365 Proofing Tools languages for Grammer, Spell check, etc.

As per theā€¦

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Support Phased Deployments in Automatic Deployment Rules

I think this is pretty straight-forward. If the Phased Deployment feature is to become a thing for software updates it needs to be supported as part of ADRs. If organizations are manually deploying updates then they're simply doing it wrong. If anyone thinks I'm transitioning from automated deployments to manual phased deployments they vastly underestimate my laziness.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  14. Change the default timeout for feature updates, when feature updates timeout they should fail and stop.

The feature updates in our environment always time out on the older machines with mechanical drives as they are slow to update. It would be helpful if the timeout was set to a lot more than 1 hour by default. Secondly when it does time out it would be helpful if it failed the deployment instead of sitting in software center saying it's installing indefinitely. The only way I've been able to do this is to delete the client from SCCM and re-install the agent on the client machine. Distribution of feature updates through SCCM needs a lot of work.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  15. Ability to get reports on individual update by clicking on the Pie

When I click on individual updates, I see on the bottom the pie chart of "Total Asset Count:" I am requesting that be a link that automatically launches the report so I can get a listing of all the machines related to the pie chart. Similar to when I click on a deployment and I can drill down to the list of Objects related to that deployment where it failed, succeeded, etc. I know I can run a report, but the report is not always accurate and "live". For that matter, where is it getting that number from??

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow WSUS servers to download updates only on HTTPS

Currently, the WSUS servers connect to the URLs (both HTTP and HTTPS) to download the updates, as mentioned in this link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/sum/plan-design/plan-for-software-updates#BKMK_ConfigureFirewalls

This means allowing HTTP traffic to come down to internal servers (by creating exceptions in the proxy settings), causing serious audit failures and security concerns.

Also, a lot of proxy solutions also have a capability to block the content from whitelisted HTTP URLs if the file size is too large, thinking that it might be malicious content. This again causes problems when Windows 10 Feature and Express Updates are downloaded!

Hence, it would be great to publish allā€¦

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Re-run failed Automatic Deployment Rule (ADR)

Sometimes (one time per week) we have a failed automatic deployment rule (ADR).

Error Code:
    SMS_RULE_ENGINE
    Message ID: 8706
    Decription:
    Content download failed.
    Source: SMS Rule Engine.

Most of the time it is the one of the Windows Defender Definition updates. If I Re-run (Run Now) the ADR it works perfectly. Maybe there is not enough time between sync sup and run ADR. I don't know. After I click "Run Now" it's always success.

It would be great if you can add an option "Re-run failed ADR, after X minutes, tryā€¦

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. The Office 365 updates behavior in SCCM 1802 still feels off and unpolished

We still see prompts for closing running office applications and while Software Center displays a reboot required, the update doesn't seem to get installed unless manually triggered through the in-app notification.

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  19. Bring Servicing Plans into Parity with WUfB/Intune or Kill Them

Since the initial release of Win 10 servicing plans they haven't kept up with their WUfB/Intune companions. While I can appreciate that many are not using servicing I feel it's a bit of a chicken and egg problem.

Specifically:
    Remove SAC-T at some point (Win 10 1903 and beyond won't have it)
    Increase the delay to 365
    Configure the uninstall period (2-60)
    Support the Insider releases.

Alternatively, since WUfB is now integrated into the console just get rid of servicing plans entirely. In such case you may want to integrate the dual scan configuration into the WUfB node.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add software updates package source restrictions or warnings

When a software updates package is created, the given path is cleared of any existing content. This is very destructive if an incorrect path is given. One of several things should happen:
    1. Restrict the location of software updates packages if another package is using the same folder or any folder below.
    2. Warn if additional content is detected in the given path for a software updates package.
    3. Not clear additional content from software updates packages source locations.

We recently ran into this with a co-worker making documentation and put in the root path for all of our packagesā€¦

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base