Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Virtual environment management

We cannot have AppV connection groups be successfully managed by current branch SCCM Virtual Environments.
    It looks like:
    - an application cannot be part of more than one virtual environment
    AND
    - an application cannot have more than one deployment type in a virtual environment

According to what can be found in the documentation, it should be possible to achieve what we want.
    - Old whitepaper (not anymore officially available, but we still have it): http://www.getonict.nl/docs/app-v-5-configuration-manager-2012-sp1-integration.pdf “Applications are allowed to be in multiple virtual environments to allow a single package to communicate with multiple, separate applications.”
    - SCCM Current Branch…

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Enable right click WOL a device from inside the console

Allow the built in use of WOL, and right click to wake up a machine or a collection at anytime. Also fix ConfigMgr's native WOL technology to work on common network infrastructure (no Mac-Flapping.)

470 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Noted  ·  23 comments  ·  Power Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Make the client report who’s logged on

Policy requests are made on computer level. When assigning an application to a computer we regularly trigger a machine policy request to speed up the installation. This is not possible when user assignment is used, as we don’t know which computer(s) the user is currently logged on to. We can guess by checking for example “Last logon User Name”, this is however not live data and thus not very accurate. If the client instead reported who’s logged on as part of the user policy request at log on, we would know. This would allow to trigger a User policy request…

87 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Report for all administrative actions

It would be nice to have a report to list all administrative actions performed by admins in a CM site. A report similar to "Administration activity log", but not limited to changes in the administrative roles section.

40 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Possibility to priorize an (InPlace) Upgrade Task Sequence over Update Installation

Since Microsoft introduced the strategy to deliver two new OS builds per year for Windows 10 and a mandatory expiry date of SAC builds, the focus / Engineering task focuses back to perform in place Upgrades via Task Sequences.

As those Task Sequences are not deployed at a specific time during the week it might happen that some Windows OS Quality or Office Update are pending or queued for Installation. It does not make sense to deploy a Quality Update for the OS Build which is queued to be upgraded to a new OS Build (with new Quality Updates).

My…

20 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Create an SCCM Community Collections Catalog Feature

Creating SCCM Collection Queries is an art, and like most art, some of us are more suited to stick-figures while others produce beautiful creations worthy of a place in the Louvre, featuring graceful sub-queries, artful tabbing and good code practices.

When creating a collection, it would be helpful to have an optional 'Community Collection Catalogue' to choose from, which could have a user-voice style 'Most useful' collections list.

Users could create collections here, possibly even having a community 'wish-list' area for those without skills to request from those who would like to share.

Contributions in the community catalog could be…

60 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Add filter for Available applications in Software Center

The Applications tab in Software Center has filters for 'All' and 'Required' applications. Can one for 'Available' applications be added, too?

24 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Apply the language filter for Office patches. The designed behavior is it pulls all languages making the deployment package larger than need

Apply the language filter for Office patches. The designed behavior is it pulls all languages making the deployment package larger than needed regardless of the language filter applied

8 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add a column to device collections not only for Operating System but build/releaseid

Is it possible to add a column to device collections for OS build / release id (i.e. Windows 10 1703 or Windows 10 15063.xxxx) to easily identify the installed Windows 10 version. The column Operating System is sometimes not quite enough information. Thanks!

33 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      2 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Config Manager OOBE

I was at Ignite last month and got very excited about Intune and OOBE using Autopilot but I work for a very large corporation that is not ready to move to AAD/Intune for some time and I thought this would be an Idea for companies not ready to move to these new platforms just yet.

If an OOBE option was added into CM which allowed you to add in the same HASH value you can get from the manufacturer or by running the script yourself you could still use the OOBE OS deployment option like Intune/Autopilot.

Just have the OOBE…

13 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Client cache size - define what remains untouched, reserved for OS

Defining a fixed cache size always leads to a configuration, that fits first in the beginning, but later not.

It would be nice to define X% of the hard drive, should remain free, reserved for OS (...etc...). Similar to the configuration and approach by the distribution points.

13 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Client Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add an additional Maintenance Windows type specifically for Application Deployments only

Add an additional Maintenance Window type specifically for Application Deployments only. Software Updates and Task sequences have their own and there is an "All Deployments" type. There needs to be one on for Apps to better segregate the nature of the changes occurring in the environment.

22 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            3 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Make configuration.mof changes and restores from backup more robust

Currently, changes to configuration.mof appear to be read in based on the timestamp of the file.

This means that if you restore configuration.mof from a backup, it will not be re-read into the database because the timestamp is older.

Recently I had to force a re-read of a backup of configuration.mof by making a trivial change to a comment in the file so that the timestamp was changed and thus hardware inventory would again run on my clients.

It would seem that perhaps a checksum of the file compared to a file that was read in previously would resolve this…

7 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Client Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • HTML 5 - Console

It would be great if there was a web(html) console available. Then you could even deploy it through the Azure AD Application Proxy(WIA for SSO) service so you could manage the SCCM environment through web from a external endpoint securely. With securely I mean conditional access and MFA could be added through Azure AD.

57 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Adjustable Window Sizes within Admin Console

It would be nice to have the ability to adjust window sizes within the console. As an example, the Membership rule window in the collection properties only has enough room to show 2 lines. Being able to maximize or edit to a custom size and have the console remember these sizes would be great.

This could be incorporated into the fixes that are being introduced with the High DPI resolutions.

32 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  6 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Doing this everywhere in the console would be expensive/difficult. Rather than wait to make any improvement until the time we can fix it all… I’m curious what the top 10 most important places to fix are. I’m thinking we fix those first, and then go from there.

• Bring download timeout for patches inline with other products e.g. InternetExplorer, .Net-applications

From case "117070515991825

When your SUP tries to download big Windows Updates files, the updates are timed-out because:

If the proxy doesn’t send HTTP/1.1, Status: Ok in 30 seconds, this will cause the SCCM server to send a Reset flag and close the connection.

SCCM HTTP 30 seconds timeout it's hardcoded and cannot be changed.

Please make the download read/write timeout configurable or bring it inline with standard http timeout.

56 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Remote-wipe feature for Windows 10 desktop managed by SCCM agent (SCCM agent / Intune MDM dual management)

Currently, it is not supported to remote-wipe Windows 10 desktop managed by SCCM agent.
                                    Intune MDM have ability to remote-wipe Windows 10 desktop, but Intune MDM and SCCM agent dual management is not supported.
                                    We really need supported option to remote-wipe Windows 10 managed by SCCM agent like Intune MDM and SCCM agent dual management option.

130 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      6 comments  ·  Mobile Device Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Option to force restart desktop endpoints if no user logged in

Hi There,

I am wondering if we can have an option in SCCM to force restart desktop endpoints after patch installation when no user logged in. This option certainly not useful for server endpoints but for desktop endpoints, it could be a blessing for work station admins those have to chase users to restart the VDI/desktop endpoints periodically to get patches installed in an environment where admins can't define any specific restart time due to nature of the job. Possible options/ features I see:
                                      1. Define setting in machine collection/ deployment group that if no user logged in install the…

19 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Sharepoint

Please, do you have an answer for the below questions? Or, can you point me to the Group that could answer these?

Customer wants to patch the Sharepoint farm through SCCM without manually intervening on the servers for this. I told him this is by design and that the Updates tagged with “farm deployment” are not listed in SCCM, because they specifically require User Intervention. The reason for not showing SharePoint Farm Updates in SCCM is due to the update behavior of Sharepoint. a farm update is installed on 1 of the servers and manually distributed over all other servers…

36 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Upgrade Operating System Task should be able to use Windows Servicing Content and Allow user interaction

Problem:
                                          • Current state of windows 10 servicing via upgrade sequence requires full media to take the client through setup.
                                          o Full media is 2x the size of existing ESD (upgrade content)
                                          o The Upgrade Operating System step does not allow the end user to defer the reboot nor does it warn the user of a reboot pending once setup has been kicked off

Change Request (Requirements)
                                          I. The Upgrade Operating System step in the task sequence shall permit the administrator to reference windows 10 servicing content
                                          II. The Upgrade Operating System step in the task sequence shall permit the…

53 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 107 108
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base