Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. New builtin reports about Windows 10 versions and builds

ConfigMgr has a few reports about operating systems, but they are not suitable with the new Windows 10 world. Please create new Windows 10 related reports. E.g.
    - chart with Windows 10 versions (Ent/Edu/Pro) and build (including click-through to see the actual devices)
    - report that lists devices with a specific Win10 version/build in a collection
    - report with Windows 10 versions/builds in a specific collection

These are not very difficult to create, but because every Win10 customer needs them, they should be included in the product.

These are also needed, because:
    - Windows 10 Dashboard doesn't provide drill through …

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Improve Content Replication

Content Replication from Site to DPs should be a frustration free Process or SCCM Admins. Unfortunately, I know no customer without smaller or bigger issues in this area.
      Here is an uncomplete list of some issues I´ve noticed:
      • Content Eval - Scheduled Task lost
      o SCCM does not check if the schedule task got lost/deleted
      o Suggested Solution: SCCM should verify the Scheduled Task on Service Startup
      • Content Eval - Hash mismatch/Eval fails for package
      o When content Eval fails for a package, the admin must manually redistribute it / take care of the error
      o There should…

74 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Content  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Improve Android Hardware Inventory to include "Android Security Patch Level" in SCCM / Intune Hybrid

Current "Intune Company Portal" do not report "Android Security Patch Level" as part of the Android Hardware Inventory to SCCM in a Hybrid environment.

This is important as our security policy requires that the device must be up-to-date on Android Security Patch inorder to be "In Compliance"

From an administrative point of view it should be possible to have an overview of your Android devices to verify whom devices that has been upgraded with the latest security updates from Android.

Security Vulnerabilities are rapidly increasing for mobile devices, e.g. the previous KRACK Vulnerability. Hence it would great to see that…

97 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Mobile Device Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • WSUS Mainteannce

There should be a few built in maintenance tasks to go through and complete all the maintenance tasks that are needed for WSUS. I find having to run through these steps every month to be quite tedious requiring a lot of change control each month to get the maintenance work completed for WSUS.

Everything described in this article should be automatically done by CM: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configurationmgr/2016/01/26/the-complete-guide-to-microsoft-wsus-and-configuration-manager-sup-maintenance/

125 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            7 comments  ·  Troubleshooting & Support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Rebuild the SCCM Client

Rebuild the SCCM Client so we don´t need to wait everytime the OSD reboots for the client to Initializing the System Center Configuration Manager Client

53 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Temporarily suspend any SCCM client activity

Many of our users (300000) need a feature to temporarily suspend any SCCM activity at least for a limited time per day.
              Activities that need to be suspended are:
              - Downloads
              - Installs
              - Reboots

Business cases:
              Customers Skype sessions often get disturbed while a download is running in the background. We thought the setting "Suspend Software Center activities when in PowerPoint presentation mode" would help but from what our user reports it doesn't.

Another scenario are users working on metered connections, e.g. as they are provided by Deutsche Bahn. Users working on such a connection quickly use up their…

65 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                3 comments  ·  Client Settings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Virtual environment management

We cannot have AppV connection groups be successfully managed by current branch SCCM Virtual Environments.
                It looks like:
                - an application cannot be part of more than one virtual environment
                AND
                - an application cannot have more than one deployment type in a virtual environment

According to what can be found in the documentation, it should be possible to achieve what we want.
                - Old whitepaper (not anymore officially available, but we still have it): http://www.getonict.nl/docs/app-v-5-configuration-manager-2012-sp1-integration.pdf “Applications are allowed to be in multiple virtual environments to allow a single package to communicate with multiple, separate applications.”
                - SCCM Current Branch…

82 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Task Sequence Pre-Cache for all Packages inside

It would be nice to have the ability to conditionally pre-cache all packages in Upgrade TS and not only OS Upgrade step.

To describe it in more details, in current design we are able to pre-cache only OS Upgrade step to computers based on conditions. This is not enough for companies with 20+ languages as best approach is to create en-us core image and then apply MUI on top of that. Doing this will cause system to report as e.g. de-de so we would need to download and distribute to 150+ DPs all supported Upgrade packages instead of distributing only…

20 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    3 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback, updating status to Noted. See https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configmgreng/2016/03/11/configmrguv/ for an explanation of each status

We have this in our backlog from when we introduced the pre-cache for OS Upgrade packages and agree it makes a ton of sense. The first action would probably be adding Make/Manufacturer for Driver Packages, then look at ways to address MUIs, Language packs

• Enable a column for Windows 10 Build Version!

Please add a column with the OS Build version to the console. It's really a pain when reports or collection querys have to be used to get this information.

32 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Enable right click WOL a device from inside the console

Allow the built in use of WOL, and right click to wake up a machine or a collection at anytime. Also fix ConfigMgr's native WOL technology to work on common network infrastructure (no Mac-Flapping.)

569 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        Noted  ·  29 comments  ·  Power Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Expose Task Sequence Engine Component Properties in Status Message Rules for Automation

It would be nice to have the Properties available to pass to an External Script the same way the Insertion Strings can be.
                        What I was specifically trying to accomplish in this case is Adding a Computer to a Collection during a OSD Task Sequence for the Purposes of Software Updates. I created a Status Message Filter Rule that looked for a Client State Message ID 11140 (The task sequence execution engine started execution of a task sequence.) for a Specific Package / Task Sequence. This all worked as expected and launched the external command when the TS Launched (and…

28 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          5 comments  ·  SDK and Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Task Sequence Version Control

Please create a function to enable task sequence versioning. This feature would be very helpful for reverting back to a previous task sequence as well as accountability for the last user that modified the task sequence.

We write a lot of WMI queries as well as set various task sequence variables. These settings change over time and it would be a great feature to look back on a previous version to view the changes as well as the last user modification.

We currently make copies of our task sequences for this archival purpose. This process works for us now, but…

19 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Make Windows 10 Setup Compatibility Scan Language Neutral

It would be nice if a checkbox "Perform Windows Setup Compatibility scan withnout starting upgrade" inside "Upgrade Operating System" step in SCCM Upgrade Task Sequence would be language neutral.

What I mean by this is that we would like to run this scan prior to the Upgrade itself but to be able to do that currently we have to switch the running OS to en-US (the same language as the Upgrade iso), then run the scan and in case an error is found, we need to switch back to original language again and reboot the computer. This is not a…

20 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback, excellent suggestion

SCCM doesn’t own the compatibility scan – that’s owned by Windows Setup and I have passed this request on to them for consideration in a future release. I also added the scan should allow Architecture neutral as well.

• Report for all administrative actions

It would be nice to have a report to list all administrative actions performed by admins in a CM site. A report similar to "Administration activity log", but not limited to changes in the administrative roles section.

44 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Make the client report who’s logged on

Policy requests are made on computer level. When assigning an application to a computer we regularly trigger a machine policy request to speed up the installation. This is not possible when user assignment is used, as we don’t know which computer(s) the user is currently logged on to. We can guess by checking for example “Last logon User Name”, this is however not live data and thus not very accurate. If the client instead reported who’s logged on as part of the user policy request at log on, we would know. This would allow to trigger a User policy request…

92 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Need support for Option 82 in PXE DHCP handshake as network tenant based on BGP/MPLS needs it for forwarding to DHCP Client.

In order to avoid using distributed PXE Servers a support of the Option on PXE DHCP Handshake would make proper inter tenant forwarding possible.

16 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  multi-tenant/ISP  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Possibility to priorize an (InPlace) Upgrade Task Sequence over Update Installation

Since Microsoft introduced the strategy to deliver two new OS builds per year for Windows 10 and a mandatory expiry date of SAC builds, the focus / Engineering task focuses back to perform in place Upgrades via Task Sequences.

As those Task Sequences are not deployed at a specific time during the week it might happen that some Windows OS Quality or Office Update are pending or queued for Installation. It does not make sense to deploy a Quality Update for the OS Build which is queued to be upgraded to a new OS Build (with new Quality Updates).

My…

24 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Make it easier to use HTTPS DP as a pull DP source

It should be much easier to use HTTPS DP as a pull DP source. Now you need to have a special script to define HTTPS DP as source (= complicated) and pull DP needs to have a ConfigMgr client (= licensing issue). I see increasing number of customers who want to use HTTPS in all their internal IIS servers, including ConfigMgr.

12 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Setup and Server Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • to locate devices by ip address

The easiest way to find a device on a network is with the physical layer information. I can't even understand why this wouldn't be an option. At times while troubleshooting getting the IP address from the end user is the only information that you can gather.

15 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Troubleshooting & Support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Dart Bug

Adding DaRT into a newly created boot image will appear successful within the console however log files will reveal it was never even attempted.

https://sccmf12twice.blogspot.com/2017/11/successfully-added-dart-to-boot-imageor.html

13 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 113 114
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base