Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow custom icons for Task Sequences and Packages/Programs in Software Center.

Allow custom icons for Task Sequences and Packages/Programs in Software Center.

Currently the icons are all a default icon, which can be confusing for end users if there are multiple deployed to a workstation.

420 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      Noted  ·  27 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Software Center: Support multi-select of applications

The ability to multi-select applications to be installed via the Software Center, so as to create an installation queue.

280 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        planned  ·  22 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Software Center: Show only available Software (Hide already installed req. Software)

New Software Center: show only available Software which the user actually can install/uninstall (hide already installed req. Software, which is installed as System)

145 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          Noted  ·  11 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Software Center "Sort by" default view

Change default "sort by" order from "Most recent" to Alphabetic list (Application name A-Z). Or remember the setting for the client. Or allow a SysAdmin setting for site-wide default setting. It always resets back to Most recent.

122 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            Noted  ·  3 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Stop unnecessary "New software is available" pop-up on each logon after a user has uninstalled an available application.

After a user installs an application that was deployed as "Available", but later uninstalls the application, the user gets a balloon pop-up every time they logon saying "New software is available".

There is NO way to prevent this from happening apart from removing the user from the collection where the application was deployed, and adding them back. This has been the case since CM12 was released but this is not a desirable behavior especially when there's no "valid" way of preventing this.

90 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              Noted  ·  6 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • 65 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                Noted  ·  sangeev responded

Updated by bobmn for sangeev/OSD

• Software Center: Add categories to maching targetted deployments.

The new Software Center in 1511 should also categorize Applications using the user category even if it is not deployed to users but systems instead. It should reflect the user category no matter what.

55 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  13 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Software Center: Add Ability to Launch the Application

Would like to have the ability for the end user to not just install an available deployment, but also launch it there. The way I envision this happening is once the user has installed an available deployment, the "Install" button would change to a "Launch" button, and the Uninstall button would be perhaps a separate button, etc., or perhaps even the icon of the application could be used to launch it and the Install/Uninstall behavior could remain the same.

The benefit of this would be (1) if you removed the start menu or other entry points to the application and…

42 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    Noted  ·  6 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Stronger user notification when software installs are pending

On the lock screen - create a message that says: you have software ready to install in XX days (or by xx date, yy time) - when software is available and waiting for the install deadline. This way it is visible to users as they come back from lunch or meeting or bio.
                    Even better if you can make the screen change color (GAR) as the date gets closer ...

41 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      5 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Task Sequence Property - Software Center class

Task Sequence Property - Software Center class
                      Currently, Task Sequences only show up under OS Deployments list. There are many people who utilize task sequences for application based deployments and setups on systems out there. For it to only show here on the new Software Center makes it confusing for end users.

Solution: Dropdown menu on Task Sequence properties to tag it for either the OS Deployments or Application categories on software center. This way, it can easily be controlled where it needs to show up.

40 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        5 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Software Center: Provide a console setting to remove the "Application Catalog" link from Software Center

Admins should be able to disable or remove the link to Application Catalog, from an end user viewpoint, we are not using the App Catalog, just Software Center. Since we’re using a 3rd party Shopping instance as well, it would be good to have a configurable option to hide Application Catalogue.

32 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          Noted  ·  2 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add filter for Available applications in Software Center

The Applications tab in Software Center has filters for 'All' and 'Required' applications. Can one for 'Available' applications be added, too?

27 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Software Center - Show policy version

It would be quite useful if Software Center under Options and perhaps next to the Sync Policy button, if you'd have information about what policy version is currently applied. When clicking on the Sync Policy button and a newer policy version is applied, the version would change indicating that the latest policy is applied. Naturally, it would be great if both user and machine policy versions where shown. See attached image for a (quite bad) mock-up.

25 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Allow customizable Software Center notifications for upgrade task sequences

For Windows servicing and in-place upgrade task sequences, grant the ability to customize all fields of the popup. With 1610 custom messaging was added, but it only applies to one field. Suggestions are as follows:
                              For the first one:
                              • Messaging is unclear as it says "Critical software maintenance must be completed on your computer after…" when in fact it needs to be done before or by the date highlighted.
                              • We were originally going to recommend rephrasing that but instead would ask to make all fields customizable inside of SCCM to tailor messaging to the organization's end users. This…

23 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi. Thanks for the feedback.

Can you tell me which version of Configuration Manager you are using, please? Also, are you using ‘New Software Center’ or ‘Old Software Center’? You can check that setting with Client Settings, Computer Agent – ‘Use new Software Center’ =Yes/No

The changes we made for customizing the user notification strings were made for New Software Center – more details here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/osd/deploy-use/manage-task-sequences-to-automate-tasks

There’s also changes made to the Task Sequence Properties, General Tab. The estimated download size is used editable to show a size in MB, the run time can also be set and there’s a checkbox to explicitly state restart required in case the task sequence does not have a Restart step but say a Run Command Line action or Application install that will force a restart.

RE: You comments for Critical software maintenance must be completed on your computer after… I’ll follow up that…

• Opening View and information

The Default view for Software Center is no longer beneficial to the end user. Tile view gives no information on the various applications. Would prefer these 2 changes:
                                1. Default to List view. This way they can at least see the status of the packages advertised.
                                2. Have the Filter have the ability to hide already installed packages (have filters for the various statuses). If I wanted to see that info, I would go to the Install Status page (which I might add, defaults to List view)

20 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  Noted  ·  5 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Folder Structure in Software Center

It would be great if we could create folder structure in Software Center and place different applications in different folders.

It's impossible now to have all of our 500+ applications as available without having another portal for order applications since we can group applications easily and Users can find theirs app easy.

20 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    Noted  ·  0 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Hide software center from some users, availible to others

Provide a security group based method to hide software center from showing in the start menu. For example, domain users would not even see it in the start menu, but administrators would. The /ExcludeFeatures is a step in the right direction, but overkill for some customers who still want admins to have access.

19 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      Noted  ·  2 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Software Center: Add option to set Primary Device/User

One of the last remaining features that is missing from the Application Catalog is the ability to configure UDA (Primary Device/User) from within Software Center.

18 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Realtime health info of client via Software Center

This will help the 1st line support to gather more client information without having to contact 2nd line specialists, and possibly solve more incidents on their own.

The Software Center, when launched, should be able to read and display client status information and connectivity with server in a simplified UI, understandable to the Service Desk employees/ 1st line support.

This can include Policy evaluation status, connectivity with management point, certificate status, app-evaluation status, etc

17 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Add revision automatically under application in software center (1511+)

Please add (display) the application revision automatically under the application that is available in software center . This makes troubleshooting for helpdesk / system admin more easy .

16 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            Noted  ·  0 comments  ·  Software Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base